Thirty one

Realization

He was too late. Way too late. I pulled my hand back and let it drop to my side. Hongki slowly pulled away and leaned against the opposite wall. He let out a sad laugh.

“That’s what I feared. It’s Jonghyun, isn’t it?” he asked and looked out the window. I nodded. I was certain of it now. I felt terrible towards Hongki though. This could destroy our friendship forever.

“I’m sorry oppa.” He just sighed.

“I can’t believe you’re choosing him.” He gave me a dark look. “He just hit me in the face, you have been wiping away the blood yourself.”

“I know.” I looked down but snapped my head up when I heard a bang. Hongki had hit his fist in the wall.

“Damn it. I can’t even make myself beg you to stay, because I know he’s better for you.”

“Oppa, don’t say that…”

“Yes. You don’t even know why he hit me. And still you choose him…He did it for a reason; you. He’s always the one who’s there to protect you, comfort you and to just be there. I’m the bad guy here. I deserved that punch.” Hongki looked ashamed. I frowned, totally confused at his sudden change of mind.

“What do you mean?”

“I provoked him, you don’t have to know more than that. Now go after him, you don’t want to lose him…”

 

I walked up to him and hugged him.

“Maybe it’s better this way,” I whispered. “We aren’t meant to be lovers. We are the bestest of all best friends and that’s the way it’s supposed to be. Don’t let this change anything between us, please oppa.”

 

Hongki gave a deep sigh and my hair.

“Anything for my bestie,” he whispered. I pulled away and looked him in the eyes. Then I got up on my toes and pecked him on the cheek.

“Pick me up for school tomorrow,” I said before I ran out in the rainy afternoon.

 

I had never been a good runner, but I was running like never before. I could’ve passed any athlete runner there ever was. Out of the school area, across the parking lot, his car wasn’t there. Where to? I kept running out on the street pushing people aside to make my way forward. In the park where Jonghyun and I had eaten ice cream together I had to stop and catch my breath, but started running again as soon as possible with the rain lashing my face. I passed the bus stop near his house, the lamp post he had climbed, the tree where you couldn’t remember what had happened and then you reached his house. I called on the door phone. I called it so many times that I lost count, but no one answered.

 

I leaned my back against the wall and slowly slid to the ground. He wasn’t at home? This might be the only chance I had to tell him. I knew I couldn’t find the confidence again. I leaned my forehead against my knees and felt the rain drain down my neck and soak my clothes even more. Another failure.

 

I sat like that for several minutes until something appeared above my head and formed a shelter over my head. I looked up.

“What are you doing?” Jonghyun looked down at me while holding an umbrella over the both of us. I quickly stood up. He examined me closely with his eyes. “Have you been sitting here long? You’re soaking wet.”

“I-I was waiting… for you,” I said hesitantly.

“What!? Why didn’t you give me a call, I would’ve been here in no time.” He paused. “Are you here to yell at me? Because I can explain! Hongki was…”

“I’m not here to yell at you,” I interrupted him.

“You’re not?” Jonghyun looked confused and a bit suspicious, it was a strange mix. “Aren’t you angry at me?”

“Actually, I had a talk with Hongki and…” There was a strange sound coming from Jonghyun.

“Hongki? Did he do anything? Did he say anything? If he said anything about me I’m sure he’s lying!” Jonghyun raised his voice. “Did you run away from him? Where is he!?” Those two are just alike… But, just for which reason was he mad at Hongki right now?

“He hasn’t done anything. And I really hope what Hongki said about you isn’t a lie...” The nervousness was coming back to me and my heart beat increased. Jonghyun looked puzzled at me. “I came here to tell you something, but you weren’t here, so I waited.” My hands started shaking so I hid them behind my back.

“So… you had a nice talk with Hongki?” Jonghyun’s shoulders slumped a little.

“Not really.” I looked down at Jonghyun’s worn out sneakers. “He confessed, and I… I turned him down.” My voice was shaking and I hoped for my life that he didn’t notice.

“You… you turned him down?” Jonghyun looked uncomprehending. “Why?”

“Because… I’ve fallen in love with someone else!” We stood silent underneath the umbrella and all that was heard was the rain falling.

 

I mustered every ounce of confidence I had, closed my eyes and said it.

“I’m in love with you, Jonghyun.” I kept my eyes closed, unwilling to see Jonghyun’s face. I turned my head and looked at the house on the opposite side of the street. “I’ll go now. Maybe we’ll see each other at the coffee shop.” I walked out into the rain and began my walk home. The rain fell over me as I walked away from Jonghyun. My heavy steps splashed water all over my legs and my shoes were completely soaked. At least I had said it.

 

All I heard was a small thud of someone dropping something on the ground, it was the only warning I got before I had his arms around me from behind.

“Stop right there,” Jonghyun whispered into my hair. “Do you think you can just walk away from me after saying something like that?” At first I just stood paralyzed in surprise. It took me a few seconds to cope, but then I relaxed and a small spark of hope lit up inside of me. Did he… accept my feelings for him?”

 

Jonghyun turned me to face him and the shadows of a smile played on his face. He looked into my eyes. For a second I felt insecure. Why didn’t he say anything? I looked away and cleared my throat.

“How do you, umm… feel about me?” I asked nervously. Instead of answering he gently cupped my chin with one hand and tilted my head forcing me to look up at him. Then he slowly bent forward and gave me a soft kiss while the rain ran down our faces. He pulled away and I inhaled quickly.

“Why do you even ask silly?” he said with a smile and pulled me into his arms.

 

Now I had finally had my first kiss, for real, and I was conscious, barely… I felt my inside grow warm and I smiled into Jonghyun’s shoulder while I wound my arms around his waist.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy, I could stay like this forever…” Jonghyun said and took a step back. “… but you would get sick, you weakling,” he teased and poked my forehead.

“Yah, I’m not weak.” I smiled. I soo don’t have a poker face.

“I’ll drive you home,” he said. I looked at him and smiled.

“… Why don’t we walk?” I proposed. Jonghyun gave me a skeptical look before he rolled his eyes and gave in, without even protesting.

“I’ll just get the umbrella.” He went to pick up the umbrella that was lying on the ground, whatever it was doing there… He returned with the umbrella in one hand and stood by my side.

“Ready?” he asked and held out his hand. Without any hesitation I took it and squeezed it tightly as we started to walk.

 

We didn’t talk much on our way to my house, we didn’t have to. But when we to my street Jonghyun interrupted himself in the middle of sentence.

“What?” I followed his gaze to see what he was looking at and I felt a lump building in my throat.

“Isn’t that…” Jonghyun began.

“…Hongki’s car,” I said quietly.

 

When we got closer we saw the door to the driver seat open and Hongki stepped out of the car. We met at the leading to my garden. I tried to pull my hand out of Jonghyun’s grasp, but he held on to it.

“What do you want?” Jonghyun said fiercely.

“Nothing, I’m just returning _____-ah’s bag.” He took it from his shoulder and handed it over to me. “You left it in the girl’s bathroom.”

“Thank you.” I took the bag.

“The girl’s bathroom?” Jonghyun looked bewildered.

“Yeah, I probably should’ve chosen a better and more romantic place to confess in, don’t you think? Maybe I would’ve been more successful… So, finally dating for real, huh?” Hongki asked Jonghyun.

“Looks like it,” Jonghyun said, not as fierce anymore.

“Then, take good care of her,” Hongki said and turned around to walk back to his car. When he said that it sounded like we’d never meet again.

“Oppa?” He turned to look at me. He flashed me a tormented smile.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow.” He turned to Jonghyun. “If you hurt my best friend I’ll kill you.”

“Trust me, I won’t.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear.”

 

Jonghyun and I stood close together under the umbrella and watched Hongki drive away. When he was gone all there was to hear was the rain smattering all around us. I could feel Jonghyun’s eyes on me but I didn’t look up, instead I kept staring at my bag.

“I will do it,” Jonghyun swiftly said.

“Do what?”

“Take care of you.” Jonghyun put one hand on my cheek and made me look at him. “Will you let me?” His words allowed a shy smile to sneak onto my lips.

“I will,” I whispered. He leaned closer.

“I love you,” he whispered before he gently kissed me. I put one hand on his chest and kissed him back.

 

Jonghyun broke the kiss and pulled me into a hug, still holding onto the umbrella this time.

“I love you too,” I said and wrapped my arms around his waist with the bag still dangling in one hand. I could feel Jonghyun smile into my hair.

“You sure know how to make a man happy…”

 

The door to the house flew open and someone ran out in the rain with a jacket over one’s head. Mum?

“_____? Is that you?” My mother ran against us still in her slippers. “Where have you been? Your father and I have been so worried! You should’ve…” my mother tailed off when she saw that I had company. “Oh…”

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Jonghyun let go of me and bowed politely.

“Omma, let me introduce Kim Jonghyun, my boyfriend.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's it folks. I hope you have all enjoyed the story as much as I have enjoyed writing it! ^^

I want to thank all my subscribers and everyone who has commented and supported this story. It's you who have made it possible for me to finish it. So, thank you so very, very, very much for everything.

Now I'm going to focus on my other story Hospital Happiness, check it out if you want to :)

Saranghae :)<3