Seven

Realization

Appa? Did I just hear that?

 

I quickly grabbed a cloth and then hurried out of the kitchen. Yes, Jonghyun was talking to Mr Kim. Did he really call him appa? I wiped a few tables as I tried to listen to their conversation.

“How was school?” Mr Kim asked.

“As usual,” Jonghyun shrugged as walked behind the counter to grab something to eat and drink. “Is it okay if I do my homework here today?” Mr Kim’s face lit up like the sun at Jonghyun’s words.
“Of course. Sit wherever you want for as long as you want.” Mr Kim smiled at his son.

“Thanks appa.” Jonghyun sat down at one of the tables next to the windows that overlooked the street outside. He picked up his books and pencils from a bag he had over one shoulder, put the books on the table in front of him and then dropped the bag onto the floor. I kept on wiping tables, as I tried not to stare at him.

 

Three people rose and left their table full of dirty plates and stuff, and I saw my chance to make myself useful for real. I left the cloth in the kitchen and then went to clean the table.

 

Don’t stare at him, don’t stare at him, I told myself as I passed his table on my way to the one containing my work. I was just about to enter the kitchen with my arms full of plates when I heard someone call my name. I turned around.

“De?”

“Since you’re back there, could you please bring me a chocolate cupcake?” Jonghyun shouted across the entire café. What was it that was so special about these cupcakes…?

“Umm… of course. Just a minute…” I hurried in with the plates to Mr Kim.

 

I washed my hands carefully and then went to pick out a cupcake for Jonghyun. I chose the one with the most chocolate (the one I would’ve chosen for myself…), put it on a plate, grabbed a spoon (just in case he wanted one) and then went to give it to him.

 

I felt my heartbeat race for every step closer I took. What was with me? What was I so damn nervous about? I decided to get my act together and walked with determined steps to his table and served him his cupcake.

“Here you go,” I said with a polite smile as I put the plate down.

“Thanks a lot. Oh, a spoon. Finally someone who knows how to serve a cupcake!” Jonghyun said.

“Of course. How else would you eat it…” I interrupted myself when I saw Jonghyun looking at me with an extremely white blinding smile on his face. He had the most perfect teeth I had ever seen! I thought of Mr Kim’s face and couldn’t believe how beautiful Jonghyun’s mother must be to have been able to pass her genes to him… I felt guilty for thinking bad of my kind boss and turned back to work with a short: “You’re welcome.”

 

Unfortunately I had forgotten all about Jonghyun’s bag which was lying on the floor. My foot entangled in the carrying strap and when I moved to take a step forward I fell headlong towards the floor.

“_____!” Jonghyun jumped up just in time to stop me from falling hard on the marble floors. But by trying to hold my entire body weight, with only a loose grip around my arm, he lost his balance. He, too, fell to the floor dragging me with him in the fall and I landed on top of him.

 

Jonghyun closed his eyes and groaned in pain. You, on the other hand, happened to have your eyes wide open and notice that your faces were just inches apart and your breaths mixed. You blushed violently.

 

“Aish! Jonghyun, I’m so sorry!” I rolled off of him and kneeled beside him. Jonghyun sat up halfway, leaning on his elbow. He rubbed the back off his head.
“Jonghyun, gwaenchanayo?” I felt so unbelievably embarrassed. The entire café was staring at us.
“I’m fine.” He smiled and I almost felt all my brain cells disappear at the sight of it. He looked okay, but I knew his head got hit real bad…

 

We stood up and he kept rubbing the back of his head. Without thinking I took a step closer to him, reached out a hand and softly touched his occiput.
“Does it hurt?”
“Not so bad.” He looked into my eyes.

 

I suddenly realized what I was doing and quickly pulled my hand away.
“Umm… I-I’m sorry.” I bowed and hurried to hide in the kitchen. Great, the first day at work and I already screw up.

 

I almost hyperventilated my lungs out when I entered the kitchen. Mr Kim looked at my blushing face with a huge grin on his lips. Did he see what happened? Mr Kim didn’t say anything, he just kept on doing the dishes while keeping that satisfied smile on his face and humming quietly to himself.