Two

Realization

The school day ended and I waved goodbye to my friends. I left the school properties. Now what? I could take the bus, if only I had known where the bus stop was… Hongki had spoiled me by driving me to school everyday since we started at the same school. I decided to walk. It couldn’t be that far, right? I knew the way Hongki drove me everyday like the back of my hand and started to walk that way.

 

Against my will I started imagining what Hongki and that girl might be doing at this moment. If I knew him right I could bet they were going to watch a movie. It was his standard first date. He said it was the best way he could see whether he and the girl liked the same movies, laughed at the same things, had the same interests and yadah, yadah, yadah. Mostly he just dumped the girls after the first date. He’s got way too high standards!

I guess I was lucky to have met him at such young age and wasn’t just brushed aside.

 

I hurried me steps a bit as the sky turned to a darker shade of blue and I pulled Hongki’s hoodie out of my bag. The air was getting cold and I started to put the hoodie on, but it got stuck in my hair. Dang it! I kept on walking as I tried to free myself from the hoodie. I struggled just a few seconds and finally got free.

“Watch out!” I turned my head at the scream and saw the car heading straight towards me. The driver honked and I could hear the brakes shriek. I gasped in horror. Paralyzed, unable to move, I just stood on the street. This was it, my life would now be over…

Just as the car was going to hit me I felt someone grip my arm and roughly pull me back upon the pavement. My heart was beating like a drum and my entire body was shivering from the shock

“Look where you’re going! Yah! Are you even listening?” Someone put two hands on my shoulders and shook me. “Yah!”

I looked up at my saviour.

“Are you okay?” He looked at me under his blonde bangs with a worried and upset look. I tried to feel something.

No pain. No blood. I was intact.

“I’m fine,” I replied and tried to calm my breathing down. He sighed in relief.

“You scared the crap out of me. I thought you were going to die!” He let go of my shoulders.

“So did I…” I tried to smile. He just looked at me. I took a step forward, but collapsed from all the tension. Fortunately me saviour with the special hair was still standing close and managed to catch me before I crashed to the ground.

“I guess you’re not fine after all,” he said as he helped me stand up. “Do you want me to take you to a hospital?”

“No, no! I’ll be alright. Thank you so much for saving me. I owe you… my life.” I bowed. ‘Damn that Hongki. He could at least have given me a ride home before he went on his stupid date, then none of this would’ve happened.’

 

“I don’t think you’ll be alright by yourself. At least let me follow you home.” There was no way I was letting him help me any further. I didn’t like this feeling of beeing helpless and vulnerable.

“Absolutely not! You’ve done more than enough already. Don’t worry about me anymore. I’ll manage to make it somehow. Thank you again.” I bowed once again and took a few shaky steps forward.

“Well, that decides it. I’m taking you home.” The blonde guy put one arm around my waist and grabbed my arm with his free hand. I stiffened for a second. I felt incredibly uncomfortable with his grip around my body, but at the same time very grateful. He was a bit pushy, but I guess it was for my own good. Neh?

“Thank you,” I whispered as he started to lead me along the sidewalk.

 

“May I ask about your name?” he asked after a long silence.

“________,” I answered. “What’s yours?”

“Kim Jonghyun,” he said with a smile. There was another silent pause.

“What were you thinking!?” he suddenly exclaimed.

“Excuse me?” I felt a little confused after all the sudden action.

“Walking out in the middle of a travelled street. Are you nuts!?”

“Well…” I hesitated, not knowing what to say.

“And that driver,” he interrupted my incompetent answer. “Shouldn’t he at least have checked if you were alright? Man, what a day…”

“Uhm… I wasn’t really thinking anything. I was actually trying to avoid thinking at that moment…” I said to break the silence that followed his little outburst.

“I thought so. Couldn’t have been much brain activity going on…” Was he teasing me? I looked at him. He chuckled at my strange face.

 

“Where do you live? Are we even walking in the right direction?” he asked me. I looked around. I felt relieved when I saw all the familiar houses along the street that we were walking.

“We’re almost there. It’s just around that corner.” I looked up at him and smiled. He looked back at me and our eyes met. Suddenly this whole thing felt incredibly awkward and I realized how weird and surreal the situation was. I blushed and looked away.

 

“We’re here,” I said and we stopped in front of my house.

“I guess this is it then.” Jonghyun seemed a bit uncomfortable with the situation too as he scratched the back of his head. The same thing Hongki does when he is embarrassed. Aish, typical of Hongki to sneak into my head like that…

“I can’t ever thank you enough,” I bowed quickly.

“Enough with that bowing already. If we ever meet again I’m sure we’ll find some way for you to repay me.” He winked at me and gave me a mischievous smile. I blushed and in my thoughts I thanked the twilight for the darkness which hopefully hid my red cheeks.

“I’m leaving,” he said and walked back towards the busy street. Before he rounded a corner he looked back and saw me still standing there (like an idiot). He waved at me and disappeared.