Seventeen

Realization

There was a knock on my door.

“Come in!” I was still lying on my bed. My headache had only gotten worse during the forenoon and now I was all tired after all the pills my mom made me take. The door opened and Hongki entered the room.

“Omo, _____-ah, you look terrible!” he exclaimed when he saw me. Thanks    -.-

 

Hongki hurried to the bed.

“Do you have a fever?” he sat down on the bed and put one hand on my forehead and the other one on his own to compare the temperature. I pushed his hand away with a weak motion.

“I’m fine. Just a little drowsy from all the pills I had to take.” I lay on one side and closed my eyes. The room was too bright.

“Liar.” I opened my eyes again and looked at Hongki.

“What?”

“You’re lying. You’re not fine. Why won’t you let me take care of you?” he said in a dejected tone.

“It’s not your duty, you’re not my boyfriend or anything, right.” I sat up to try and prove my point. “And I don’t need to be taken care of.” Hongki looked away and played with a feather from my pillow.

“Then why do you let Jonghyun take care of you? Is he your boyfriend?” Hongki asked in a low voice.    O.O

“N-no…” Why did he ask that all of a sudden?

“I am your best friend after all. Please, let me take care of you. At least because I broke my promise!”

“Promise, what promise?” I asked confused.

“I said I’ll be there for you and save you, but I wasn’t. Jonghyun is always faster than me,” Hongki said sadly and peeked at me.

“Oppa,” I said softly. “Don’t think that way. I’m just happy to be alive.” I leaned forward to pat his back, but he grabbed a hold of my wrist and pulled me into a hug.

“If you ever make me this worried again I’ll never forgive you,” he mumbled in my ear as he my back. I didn’t know what to answer. What was he doing? i started panting out of nervousness.

 

Hongki pulled away.

“Sorry,” he said. He made me lie down again and pulled a blanket over me. “I have to go. Get some rest okay?”

“Deh oppa,” I said feeling all tired. He gently my hair. “Take care.” he got up and I closed my eyes. I heard the door to the room open.

 

“Jonghyun…”

“Hongki…”