Twelve

Realization

Wa! I took a step forward to avoid falling into Jonghyun and suddenly we were dancing really close. I felt my heartbeat increase until I thought it was going to beat its way out of my chest, but neither Jonghyun nor I did anything to move away.

 

My heart was pounding like mad and I lost my focus. One little touch from a person beside me made me lose my balance. I was about to fall when I felt a pair of strong hands on my waist. I looked up.

“You okay?” Jonghyun mouthed, not even bothering to try and shout down the music. I nodded and we kept on dancing. Our bodies close together and his hands on my waist.

 

We danced a couple of up tempo songs and then a slow song was played. Jonghyun looked at me.

“Shall we?” he asked and gave a smirk. I nodded and placed my arms around his neck. I could feel Jonghyun’s hands slip down a few inches and he let them rest on my hips. My stomach clenched in nervousness. I did my best to ignore the feeling. Why not, wasn’t it the right way to dance?

 

I could see Hongki dancing close to Yuri a few meters away. I turned my head the other way and leaned my head against Jonghyun’s chest as a silent tear fell down my cheek.

 

The song ended and I pulled away from Jonghyun. I hid my tears and discretely tried to wipe them away. Jonghyun looked at me with searching eyes.

“_____? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I think I’ll just go and sit down for a while,” I said. I made my way out of the crowd and left Jonghyun alone in the middle.

 

I released myself from the dancing crowd hoop of people. I took a deep breath and took a few steps and then made a halt. I was now standing a few steps away from the empty pool. I looked at the water reflecting all life around me. I walked to stand right beside the trampoline and turned around to gaze at everyone enjoying themselves. I glanced at my own unclear reflection in the pool and sighed. Alone and miserable. Why did Hongki have to show up with Yuri and spoil my evening?

 

I heard someone call my name and Jonghyun’s blonde hair caught my eye. Our eyes met and I waved a little. I saw him change his direction and walk towards me. When he got closer I could see the worried look on his face and I felt so incredibly guilty. It wasn’t his fault. I took a few steps forward to meet Jonghyun halfway but out of the blue someone came running. The running person accidentally hit me in the side and knocked me out of the way. I lost my balance and fell headlong backwards. I could hear someone scream my name and then everything went black.

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

I could almost hear, and I certainly felt, my heart break at the sight of _____’s facial expression when she waved at me. Something was definitely wrong. I hurried my steps in eager to get to her and comfort her. Then everything happened so quickly.

 

Someone came running and unintentionally (it better be…) knocked _____ out of his way. _____ had on a surprised face as she fell backwards. But her face went black when she hit her head in the trampoline next to her. I shouted her name as I saw her fall into the water with a splash. I started to elbow my way to the pool. I ran the last few steps and dove into the water.

 

HONGKI’S POV

“_____!” I looked up at the sound of her name. I saw Jonghyun running and got worried at once. Jonghyun dove into the pool? What the…

“Hongki? What’s wrong?” Yuri pulled my arm.

“I don’t know,” I answered and started to run towards Jonghyun and the pool.

 

I got there just in time to see Jonghyun break the surface with _____ unconscious in his arms. I heard a lot of ‘Oh My God’s and ‘is she okay’s around me, but no one seemed to know what to do. I forgot my disapproval of Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun, over here! I’ll help you.” I sat down on the edge of the pool and reached out for them. Jonghyun started to swim against me.

 

I pulled _____ out of the water and Jonghyun was up next to her in less than one second. He put his ear to _____’s mouth.

“Is she breathing?” I whispered as people started to form a circle around the three of us.

“No, I’ll have to do mouth-to-mouth.” Jonghyun put _____’s head in the right position. Wait! Mouth-to-mouth!? Wasn’t there any other way? I was just about to stop him when he put his mouth to hers and blew air into her lungs.

 

JONGHYUN’S POV

I took in a deep breath, put my lips to _____’s and blew the air into her lungs. I pulled away. Still no breathing.

“Come on _____, come on!” I murmured and repeated the same action once, and then twice. I was just about to do it a fourth time _____ started to cough up water and gasp for air.

 

Everyone sighed in relief as she did. It wasn’t until then I noticed our audience. I’d been too focused on _____ to care… suddenly two girls broke into the circle.

“_____!” One of them started to cry.

 

_____ fluttered her eyes open and she looked at me with a dimmed gaze.

“Jonghyun oppa?”

“I’m here. It’s okay now.” I gently her hair.

“I’m cold,” she whispered.

“I’ll help you inside. Can you walk?”

“I-I don’t know…” She moved a little and grimaced in pain. I couldn’t watch her suffer like that.

“Stay still _____-a, I’ll take you inside.” I carefully put her arms around my neck and then gently lifted her up bridal style.

“Move.” The crowd obediently split in half and made it possible for me to carry _____ inside, with the two girls close behind. Hongki was still standing by the pool with his eyes fixed on me and _____.