Five

Realization

I sat down in front of the computer and opened my e-mail. There was mostly spam but there were two e-mails that caught my interest. The first one was sent from BoA’s e-mail.

 

“Did the two of you make up? It looked like it… You and Hongki look just like a couple, all lovey dovey and stuff, you know that?

Hwaiting

BoA&SoEun”

 

Had they been watching us the whole time? Seemed like it. And what couple? If they were referring to the hug then they could just forget about it!

 

The second e-mail was from a Mr Kim. I opened the mail and read it. It was an answer concerning a job at a coffee shop that I had applied for a few weeks earlier. I had almost forgotten about that.

“… Blah, blah, blah… an interview?” I said to myself. There was a number I was supposed to call to set a date for the interview. I picked up my cell phone and dialled the number. After three signals someone answered.

“Yawbosehyo?”

“Hello? I’m looking for Mr Kim?” I said awkwardly.

“Yes, that’s me.”

“Oh, hello. My name is ______ and I’m calling about the interview.”

“Yes, of course.” Mr. Kim sounded nice. I even thought I could hear his smile through the phone.

“When do you want me to come?” I asked.

“If you have time you can come at once,” Mr Kim suggested. I glanced at the watch on the computer. My parents wouldn’t be home in a while, so why not?

“I’ll be right there.” We hung up and I hurried away. If I took the bus I’d be there in about fifteen, maybe twenty, minutes.

 

“Ahneyonghaseyo?” I opened the door to the shop.

“_______? Just one moment. You can wait by the counter,” voice said from, what I assumed was, the kitchen. I stood by the counter and explored the place with my eyes while I waited for Mr Kim.

 

There weren’t many guests at the coffee shop. Two couples acting all lovey dovey, a group of girls blabbering and telling each other the latest gossip and there was a lonely old man who sat in a corner looking out at nothing.

“______?” I turned to Mr Kim who was standing behind the cash register. He was pretty short and rather fat. He kind of looked like a ball… He had a round face with a flat nose. To be honest I have to say: it wasn’t the prettiest face I had seen in my life… He looked just as nice as he sounded though. We politely greeted each other.

“Should we start right away?”

“Yes.” I felt a bit nervous but I tried to concentrate at preparing myself for any possible question Mr Kim might come up with.

 

“First question. Which one of these cupcakes would you choose?”

“Huh?” Did I hear him right? He placed two cupcakes in front of me on the counter. Vanilla and chocolate.

“So… which one?”

“Uhm… chocolate.” What a weird man!

“Good choice, I think I’ll do the same,” Mr Kim said and took a bite from the chocolate cupcake. Okay…?

“Now…” He swallowed. “Which one of the guests would you choose to take orders from first?” He said with a sly smile. I turned to the guests again. I tilted my head and watched them closely for a minute.

“The man in the corner,” I said and looked at Mr Kim.

“Really, and why is that?”

“It just feels right.” I looked at the man. He sat alone and looked at the window. He gave a sad impression sitting there like a loner, but I didn’t think he was sad. Just lonely.

“Interesting…” Mr Kim scratched his chin with a thoughtful face. “How would you react and respond to an impolite costumer?” His question made me think. How should I answer? Should I make something up or just tell him the truth? I decided to be honest, since I’m really bad at lying. (Notice that it’s not the same thing as hiding something! For example… feelings.)

“I guess I would get really annoyed, and there is a possibility that I might do something stupid… but mostly I can control my temper,” I sad. “Unless the person is a complete , then I might hit him… or pour a drink in her hair…”

 

Mr Kim laughed loudly. “That’s the way to handle them, when can you start?” He crammed the last of the cupcake into his mouth and looked at me, anticipating.

“You mean… I’m hired?” I asked in shock. Was he serious? Didn’t I just say that I might hit a person who’s a pain in my ? Well, I’m not complaining, he’s the one hiring a lunatic… I just got myself a job.

“I guess I can come in tomorrow…”

“Great,” he said with a smile. “How about you come here tomorrow then and we’ll decide a fairly permanent schedule for you, eh?”

“That sounds great Mr Kim. Thank you so much.” I bowed and left the coffee shop.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


mweehee , this is a boring chapter (I know!!) but I had to put this in to give You a job and increase the tempo of this fic ^^