Old Friends

Twisted Fate!

Donghae was gathering his things from his desk when someone knocked on his door.  "Come on in" he called out.

"Teacher Lee, I just came by to drop this off from the office" Kyuhyun said as he stepped in. He then handed Donghae the letter. "So, how was your first day here?"

"Ah, it was alright.  I'm still adjusting." he said as he took the letter.

As Kyuhyun was about to leave. "Ah, Kyuhyun-ssi, what's the deal with that Soobin girl?"

Kyu raised his eyebrow, "ah, you do not want to go down that road."

"What do you mean?" he then realized that Kyu thought he liked Soobin. "It's not like that Kyuhyun-ssi.  I'm just asking because there something about her that is really bothering me."

"Which is also why I'm saying you do not want to go down that road.  You see, Soobin is kinda crazy sometimes.  I know because I can see it.  Most boys don't but I do.  If she likes a guy, she tends to go overboard in trying to get that guy's attention or to make him hers."

Donghae didn't know what to say except narrow his eyebrows.

Kyuhyun continued, "You saw what she did to Yoona-ssi. From now on, any incidents involving Yoona-ssi, Soobin is definitely the mastermind behind it."

"Wait, did you say she had something to do with Yoona slipping earlier?"

"Yes.  I mean, I've known her for years now.  She's not that simple, humble girl kids thought she was when she first came to this school.  Well, she WAS, but she changed so much.  She was trying to win the attention of people by making her look like a joke and trying to capture Min Ho's heart. And now, it seems like she's after you, too."  

"And what does it have anything to do with Yoona?"

"Teacher Lee, you and Yoona-ssi are the talk of this school.  We all know you guys knew each other before this morning.  Apparently, Soobin feels that Yoona is a threat.  Yoona is the only one you know in this school plus Min Ho is Yoona's best friend.  So, she's jealous and she's out to get her.  Better watch out for her." Then Kyu turned to leave when Donghae called out.

"How do you know so much about her, Kyuhyun-ssi? "

Kyu sighed and didn't speak for quite some time and then replied, "She and I used to be real close back in middle school.  I don't even know why she changed.  She won't even talk to me.  But please don't tell anyone about this conversation.  Soobin would probably not want anyone to know that she and I were once close friends." then he left the room.

When Kyuhyun left, Donghae thought about the Soobin situation.  Was Kyuhyun right about this?  Is Yoona really gonna get more incidents due to Soobin's obsessions?  But then he thought, Wait, why am I even concerned for that Yoona girl?  Is it because she's my student? Why do I feel the need to protect her?  Though I haven't known her that long but I feel like I should watch out for her. *sigh* Whatever this feeling is, I hope it's nothing more that just feeling obligated to keep her safe.

He then remembered the letter that was delivered to him personally by Kyuhyun and picked it up and read it.  

"Mr. Lee Donghae,

     We are pleased to inform you that we will be holding an evaluation of you for your performance in the classroom with in the time frame of two weeks.   Due to the fact that you were just transferred to this school, we must evaluate you on your techniques.  How you perform in classrooms and how you treat your students, how they respond to you and your teachings and how well you perform and if you are having any problems.  

     Hopefully this gives you enough time to be fully prepared.  Once again, Welcome to Seoul High School.  We welcome you with open arms and heart and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.  We hope you enjoy the warmth the students and teachers offer to you.  We are also grateful that you decided to join our school.  It is a privilege to have you here, Mr. Lee Donghae.  May the Lord continue to bless you throughout this day and have a good one.

Respectfully,

The Principal."

 

"Oh great.  Looks like I'm gonna need to hit a few stores to get a some supplies" he murmured and checked for the time on his watch. He gathered his things and headed towards his car.  As he got in the car a piece of paper was being held in between the windshield wipers and the window pane. "What in the world? Is that a parking ticket? Maldo Andwae!" He got out and to took the paper and opened it.

     "Hyung, I've decided to walk home.  I know you asked me to wait for you but Mom called me and asked to come home right away.  You should com over today or tomorrow if you're not busy.  Mom and Dad would've really liked to see you. I am so glad to have you back.  I missed you so much Hyung, Maybe we can get together tomorrow or sometime in the weekend.  Whenever you and I are both not busy.  We have a lot to catch up on. Especially you coming back with out at least informing me.  Anyway, I feel like I talked/wrote too much.  I can;t seem to stop thinking and writing...but I'll stop now because I'm running out of page.  Man, I should've used a lined paper.  This piece of paper is too small and I have a lot to say but I'll say it tomorrow.  Welcome back home, Hyung.  It's really great to have you back.

LMH"

 

"It's good to be back." he said with a smile after reading the note from Min Ho. He got in his car feeling bad not being able to spend the rest of the day with his favorite cousin but he was also happy that the note was from Min Ho and not a parking ticket.  Imagine him getting a parking violation citation...it would not look good on his records. He started his rental car and headed off to the store.

 

Meanwhile, Leeteuk and Yoona were at Forsgren to buy some school supplies for Yoona.  They were walking around in the School supply aisle, Leeteuk pushing the cart with Yoona holding a syllabus in one hand and a pen in the other to cross out the supplies they got.  

"Oppa, I still need a dictionary, a thesaurus, and  four 3-ring binders.  We've already got lined papers, sheet protectors, white-out, blue, black and red pen."

"You know, when I was still in school, we didn't need that much supplies.  Why do you need a red pen anyway?" Leeteuk asked.

"I don't.  I'm just used to using red pens to correct some of my mistakes on essays." Yoona explained. "I got so used to how the school in South Carolina is.  Trust me, these supplies are nothing compared to the supplies they give us.  But the students never really bring all of them."

"That's because it's stupid to bring that much supplies.  Why would anyone go and buy all that stuffs, anyway? The teachers only give out those syllabus to see who really listens and who's dumb enough to buy all of them.  And I see YOU were dumb enough to force mom and abeoji(dad) to buy all those." He said while shaking his head.

"I was just trying to keep up with the school and the policies. Besides, is it wrong to want to fit in?"

"You can fit in by being yourself. Not by trying to impress the teachers and the students." he said as he pinched his sister's cheek. "So tell me, what are some things they did differently? The school in the states and here in Seoul?"

"Well, for starters, back in America, you get to have different teachers for every periods.  Here, I get to stay in one classroom with one teacher.  Aren't they supposed to have others with more understanding on a particular subject teach us on that particular subject?"

Wait, what? No, that's not how it was when I was in High School.  We DID go to different classes and have different teachers.  Maybe they decided to try this out for once."

"That's what I heard. But then it seems like as if I'm still gonna be getting the same teacher even if they change the block schedule."

"What do you mean?" Leeteuk asked as he picked up two 3-ring binders.  "Looks like these are the last two.  We'll have to come back next time to get more, or go somewhere else."

Yoona crossed out the 4 supply and put 2 on it to indicate that 2 more was needed. "You see, I think the school wanted me to stay with one teacher.  They think I don't really understand Korean and felt the need to keep me with a teacher who used to teach in America."

"Then you should talk to them about it."

"I did."

"When?"

"Today. When I was invited to the office."

"And? What'd they say?"

"They said there's nothing they could do. All the other classes are full and they can't fit me in any other classes."

Leeteuk was getting all worked up hearing this. "Tomorrow, we go over there and straighten this out.  If not, it's their fault if you're gonna fail. I will personally write a letter to the Department of Education for this."

"Oppa, it alright.  I think it's great since I don't have to walk around.  BESIDES, it's not like we're exchanging period classes, yet.  I heard it'll start next week." But honestly, Yoona was happy with this because she get to see Donghae all day.

"arasto.  And that teacher better b a good one."

"I think he is.  I hear he graduated from Chaminade University AND was the Valedictorian." Yoona tried to convince her brother not to make a scene tomorrow.  She didn't want her brother to come over to school tomorrow and change her class schedule.  She liked having to stay with Donghae in the same classroom the whole day.  In this case, she would mind being trapped in a box with him the whole day and night. She laughed at this thought and tried to snap back before her brother catches he sneaking erted looks.

"Ah, it looks like this is all we're gonna find here.  Maybe we can go somewhere else tomorrow and check if they have the remaining." Leeteuk told her.  

"Ah, neh.  Oppa, what are we having for dinner?"

"Ah, maybe we can eat out today.  Oppa is tired. I don't think I can drive to the mart and walk around to get groceries then go back and cook.  Let's just eat out today and tomorrow morning before dropping you off to school.  Then I'll come and do some shopping for the house and you finish off your school supplies.  But before you leave for school, make sure you write down all the things you need.  Food, feminine stuffs."

"Oppa! You can't buy girl stuffs for me.  You're my brother."

"Which is more reason why I MUST buy them for you.  It is my responsibility to care for you and provide you with anything you need.  But I'll give you allowances and mom will be sending you money, though." he sighed, "Oh it's good to be off from work for 2 weeks.  I feel like I'm gonna be in HEAVEN!!" Then he starts singing Ailee's Heaven, but only the chorus where he keeps singing "Heaven" on and on and on.

Yoona was looking at her brother with a smile. "Oppa, I missed that about you." and she walked over to hug his arm as they walked to the cashier to pay for their items.

 

Donghae parked in front of the store with the sign "FORGREN" hanging and written in neon colored lights.  Before leaving South Korea, he used to come here all the time with his friends to get school supplies.  Now, they all seem like long forgotten memories.  His friends are long gone.  They stopped contacting each other for unknown reasons.  They were all just busy that they didn't have time to check up on each other.  More like, Donghae was no where to be found.  It was like he just vanished due to some personal matters.  One of his friends, as he heard from a friend of a friend of a relative, that his best friend, after graduating from medical school and becoming a doctor had gone to military.  But that was 2 years ago, maybe he's done with his service now. Maybe, just maybe they'll  meet each other again and pick up where they left their friendship off.

Donghae got out of his car, closed the door and locked it.  As he walked towards the store he saw someone familiar talking to a girl.  The girl had her back turned to him and she was kind of blocking the man's face.  Then the girl ran to the back.  Maybe to get something they had forgotten and he saw who the person was.  He saw his best friend! He looked exactly the same as he did back in the old day.  His hairstyle was a little different now.  But it was him.  He smile and walked towards the door and the friend came out pushing his cart.

 

Leeteuk had forgotten to a yellow pad for his note takings, so he had Yoona run back to get it while he takes their stuff to he car and wait for her.  As he walked out a man was blocking the exit door.  He tried to go to a different direction, but the man moved and blocked him again.  He tried moving to the left, and the man did so, too.  He had gotten annoyed with the person then  exploded, "YAH! Can't you read? The sign says EXIT, get your over to the other door and  use it.  Don't make me kick you to the ENTRANCE door."

"Mianhae, Hyung. It's been a long time." The person replied with a smile.

"Excuse me? Do I know you?" Leeteuk asked as he tried to see the person's face.  THe man was standing outside where there was no light.  Then he walked towards the light and Leeteuk was literally shocked.  "YAH!!! DONGHAE-YA!!! Where the hell have you been?!" He asked as he walked over to him and gave him a hug.  "Have you any idea how much we've been trying to contact you.  You just disappeared off the face of the Earth as if you never existed."

"Mianhaeyo Hyung.  I just thought it was best for me to just leave everything behind after she left me."

"I know.  It was hard on all of us but that's still not a good enough excuse for you to bail on us.  We were all worried about you.  Yesung, Shindong, and Kangin have been worried sick.  Have you any ides how worried sick we were after you just up and left?"

"I'm really sorry, hyung.  I was just thinking that I should just carry it out by myself. It hurt me to see you get hurt because of me.  I didn't want to be a burden to you all."

"Are you kidding?! We were your friends. We still are! But, ey now isn't the time to be talking about this.  Here, give me your phone." Donghae and Leeteuk exchanged phone numbers and said their goodbyes.  But before Donghae walked away, Leeteuk turned around and said, "Donghae-ya, It's really good to have you back.  I hope you've succeeded in whatever it was that you left for.  The boys will be happy to hear that you're back. I'll let them know you're here and also I'm sure Shindong would be happy to have you attend his wedding ceremony with Sunye."

"They're getting married?" When Leeteuk nodded, he continued, "That's good.  Thank God Shindong is finally settling down with her.  Lord knows how much she'd been through with Shindong and his flirting around with girls while they were dating back in High School."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. See ya!" Leeteuk waved and headed for his car.

.Donghae turned and headed for the entrance door, and while he entered, a familiar figure exit the store.  

 

 

I apologize for the REALLY late update.  I moved back home and it's really hard to get internet access here.  I hope you enjoyed this chapter.