03 || Sweet Words

Of Betrayal and Lies

It was a beautiful morning, a bit too beautiful to be ruined. It was at the EXO’s dorm when you could hear the bird chirping and simply the warm sunshine. It was quiet since the boys are quite lazy to wake up early especially when they could simply enjoy their rest – something that rarely happens. Of course as celebrity they usually got too busy to have enough rest. So, yeah, this is all they could ever wish for, enough of a rest.

However, it soon comes to destruction, when they heard the loud knock on the door. It was harsh, rather forceful and full of anger. Whoever is knocking on the door, he’s trying to vent all his anger on the door. It was eight, and it is quite rare to hear knocks on the door, if it’s not their captious manager. It was Byun Baekhyun, the earliest of all, that have to take actions to stop the annoying knocking sound, that have slowly destroyed the peaceful morning.

And there she is, standing by the door, an angry woman. Baekhyun was taken aback to find her, early in the morning, on a busy day. Of course, as celebrity they did not know such a thing as free day or resting day, only busy days are listed in their dictionaries. Despite the shock, Baekhyun soon fake a smile, as he tried to cheer the woman up before she wreck things to havoc. Half of him pitied her, seeing how badly she looked. Her schedule must be overwhelming and another thing… the secret he knows.

“Jieun!” Baekhyun greeted as he fake a grin.

“Where is he?”

Baekhyun knows better than anyone, how Jieun is when she’s upset. Right now, even a stranger could see her anger building up inside. The black circle underneath her eyes, and also her uneven breath make it all seems worse. She didn’t even bother to dress up properly; she put on a simple pale-colored shirt and a short, as long as it would fit her. She didn’t even bother to grab random coat or sweater to warm her, despite the cold winter.

“Who?”

“Jongin, where is he?”

“He’s…” Baekhyun glances around, trying to help his friend to get out of the trouble, “inside his room.” But ended as a failure.

“Tell him I wanted to see him, now.” Jieun dragged her feet, storming inside the dorm without bothering to ask for permissions.


She texted Byun Baekhyun last night, feeling anxious after being left to wait alone at the airport. She was quite upset, knowing he wasn’t there to pick her up. She has quite high of a hope, wishing that he would be there, hugging her, welcoming her, but he isn’t there. She waited for quite a long time and it’s even more upsetting. She didn’t even receive a call or text from Kai after what had happened last night.

She asked Baekhyun, another person she could count on and she trust the most. Kai was home, sleeping; it was the fact that no one can deny. He was sleeping, rather than picking her up, welcoming her after a long tiring trip to Japan. He should’ve have been there, at the airport. She would have understand it, if he’s too busy because of some extra schedules or whether he’s too tired after a long-tight schedules yet his reason was far from those.

Baekhyun has actually reminded him, to pick Jieun up on time. It was cold; he was worried if Jieun has to wait for a long time outside the airport. She might catch a cold and Baekhyun won’t like it for a bit. Yet Kai refuses to go and pick his dearest girlfriend up. He chooses to sleep, despite the rest they’re given for a day and hopefully for the next two days. And now, it is undeniable how the two will be caught up for another round of an argument.

“Sit here, I will go and wake him up.” Baekhyun leads her to the living room, as he turns on the TV for her.

“Thank you, Baekhyun.” Jieun finally calm herself, to keep all her anger and vent it all to Kai, rather than wasting her energy and venting it to the innocent Baekhyun.

She took a seat, as she tried to enjoy the peacefulness of it. Considering it’s a boy’s dorm, it is quite clean. Maybe Jieun should be credited for it; she frequently visited the dorm and asked the boys to help her cleaning up. But well, she never knows it could stay this clean after a month without tidying up with Jieun. Her thought started to wonder again, as she waits for Baekhyun returns and hopefully Kai would be fully awake by then.

Her relationship with Baekhyun didn’t start with nothing. It wasn’t simply start because of her relationship with Kai, that she will have no choice but to be friendly with the rest of EXO. Baekhyun and her, they have quite a complicated of a relationship despite the friend zone they’re in. They remain as close friends and Jieun has never trust anyone better than Byun Baekhyun. Honestly, she put quite a liking on him, a liking of being friend-zoned.

She knows it, that Baekhyun has a long time crush on her. It has been going on for over years now, even after he notices Jieun liking for Kai, and how he finally realizes the two are dating. He has never said it out loud, but from the way he looks at her, she could figure it out. Baekhyun was a fine man, kind and generous, gentle and sweet, he’s every girl perfect man, yet he’s unlucky enough to get Jieun.

He loses her to Kai and knowing it hurts so much. He ended up having no choice but to accept the bitter reality. Seeing how Jieun is happy has slowly cheered him up. Seeing how he and Jieun could stay close as friends, where nothing could break them apart, unlike how trivial matters could break lover apart. It is better, although he was hoping that Jieun won’t be hurt by her relationship with Kai. He could only hopes that boy would take a good care of Jieun. She’s fragile, despite the bubbly personality she always puts on.

“Baekhyun, has anybody made breakfast?” Jieun asked, seeing Baekhyun who slowly come to approach.

“No, Chanyeol hasn’t woken up yet. It’s his shift today.”

“So, what shall I make for breakfast?” Jieun gets up, preparing the breakfast.

“Mmm… I wanted some pasta. Spaghetti maybe?”

“Sure, I will make it for you.” Her hands soon travel through the kitchen, searching for the ingredients. However Baekhyun knows her reason for being a busy-body, to avoid the thing that she fears the most- doubt.

“Hey, Jieun. Kai, he has woken up. You could see him now.”

“Oh, sure. Thank you, you’re the best Baekhyun!” She fakes a smile and directly rushes upstairs to meet the none other than her boyfriend.


Baekhyun was desperate and quite upset, knowing the fact that Jieun has never even thought of him as someone special but rather as a friend. Being friend-zoned wasn’t very nice either, despite the advantages he could get. He wanted something more, something more than friends. He wanted to be her lover. He has a long-time crush for her and it has been growing more and more, day by day. He could only hope it would die down soon or else he would be caught up in an argument with Kai.

His eyes were glued to the petite figure, as she ran upstairs to meet Kai, leaving the kitchen immediately. She left all the ingredients scattering on the kitchen table, leaving Baekhyun to continue the mess or either to fix it. However, he chooses none of it. He dragged his feet, feeling another stab in his heart, as he ruffles his hair in desperation and throws his body to the comfortable couch. He groaned, as his imagination started to go wild.

“If only you’re mine, Jieun, you won’t have to get hurt. I will always be there for you, you won’t have to face it all alone. Yet I guess I’m unlucky enough.” He mutters, faking a bitter smile, knowing the hopeless wish he keeps on wishing upon the stars.

“Is Jieun here?” It was none other than Suho, another EXO boy who used to have a huge crush on Jieun.

“Yeah, as usual Kai.” Baekhyun ruffles his hair.

“I heard what you had just said. Dream on, Bacon. We’re both unlucky enough.” Suho bumps his body next to Baekhyun.

“I know. Let’s just hope he won’t break her. I’m going to kill him if he ever hurt her again.” Baekhyun murmurs.

“He has changed, let’s believe in it.”


“Kim Jongin, where have you been?” Jieun vent her anger, as she safely landed both of her feet inside Kai’s room.

“Morning, Jieun.” He smiled, trying to pull Jieun to his arms only to find her resisting his touch.

“Stop the drama! I’m asking you where have you been?!” Jieun yelled and it startled Kai.

“Jieun-ah, its morning. You shouldn’t be yelling early in the morning.” His smile slowly fades, as he took careful examination of his girlfriend.

“I was waiting, Jongin! I was waiting all night, my legs hurt, my head hurts, it was cold! And where were you? You didn’t even call me or text me! What should I do? What do you want me to do?”

Kai hated it, when he has to see his own girlfriend being very upset. He hates it, when he could see pain, reflected from her orbs. He hates it, seeing his girlfriend being anxious. He never wanted to hurt her; he didn’t want to leave any scars neither marks on her. He wanted to be the one to calm her, to be by her side all the time. And seeing her this way is slowly eating him up, hurting him, and breaking him apart.

“Jieun-ah…”

“Answer me, Jongin! Where have you been?”

“I’m sorry Jieun-ah, I should’ve told you. My manager suddenly called last night, I’ve some extra schedules to attend. When I went home, it was midnight and I was too tired. I fall asleep right after finishing my schedules.”

Lies! Jieun’s heart knows it better than everyone, that he’s lying. It’s another lie that he made up, in order not to hurt her, not to disappoint her. She hates it, each time he lies. She knows it, she always knows the truth, yet she keeps avoiding it, blinding herself as she accepted all the lies he gave. Today, again, she’s accepting the lies, she’s avoiding the reality. She let her love to blind the border between truth and lies, and today again, she chooses to erase the border.

She loves him too much, maybe a bit too much, that trivial things matter to her. She may loves him too much, that she goes blind and acts like a fool, believing every single lies. When her conscious tells her to confront him, she would melt by his words. She could never forces herself to move forwards and confront him. She knows it, how he always lies to her, but not to fame. Everything he ever said on TV has always been the truth, but not everything he said to her is the truth.

“Jongin, do you ever… truly love me?

And once again, she has doubt dwelling inside her. She is full of conscience – dating Kai isn’t something possible to begin with yet suddenly the impossible turn possible that it left her wondering around, questioning things and doubting various matter. Today again, after so much anxiety and confusion, after so much lies, she once again comes to the question – one question that have been keeping her anxious and awakes.

It wasn’t his first time lying and it wasn’t her first time doubting. Life has always been something bitter for her, so being able to taste something sweet has caused her to doubt reality. She’s afraid that all of this sweetness would only be a dream and when she’s awake, she’ll have to face the darkness. She doubts it, trying to find the absolute answer. That’s why she keeps on asking, the same question all over again, each time her anxiety decided to take over her.

“Jieun-ah, why? I told you to stop asking that question. Am I not enough?”

“Do you ever truly love me?”

“Is it that attack again? Are you having those nightmares again?” His eyes widen, as his brain finally took notice of her messy appearance. She nods her head as an answer that makes everything clear.

“It’s going to be okay, Jieun. I’m here; everything is going to be alright. I’m here, by your side. I’m sorry, I will never leave you.” He pulled her petite figure to his embrace.

I love you, Lee Ji Eun.”

She buried her face on his chest, as he wrapped his arms around her tiny waist. He whispers slowly to her ear, in a low tone, exposing his husky voice, telling her how much he does love her. His hot breath brush against her neck, as he continued telling her how much loves her. His hand soon caresses her hair, comforting her slowly. He keeps telling her things are going to be just fine. Slowly, he could hear her faint sobs, they both bump to the bed, not letting go each other embrace.

They could feel it, each other warmth, slowly taking over their body. They could feel each other breaths, each other presence. Jieun suddenly feels safe and secured, inside his warm embrace. Once again, her heart melts as her doubt fade away. She let herself believes in those lies, believing in their love, and let all of her doubt to fade away. She didn’t want to let go, this love.

“I love you too, Kim Jongin.”

He smiled as they both fall asleep, safe and sound, and side by side, next to each other, inside each other warm embrace.

 

A/N

Why do I have the feeling that this chapter ? I don't think I enjoyed writing this. Does it really ? I'll try upgrading my capability in the next few chapters, once I can got used to the genre. I've written too much fluff recently, that reverting back to my original angst is quite hard. Well, I'll work on it, and hopefully it will return soon. Please tell me how enjoyable this chapter turns out to be... and don't mind critizing! Comments and subscribe!