9th Push, lying you

Push and Pull

You spent the Sunday staring out the window. You saw as Jaejoong left his house, walking with a spring in his step. He walked, farther and farther away from you, getting closer and closer to her. You watched him go.

Push

You didn’t ask him how it went. You didn’t want to hear about the wonderful things you missed out on. Even though he was smiling when he came over to visit. Even though you were dying to find out how close they got. Did they hold hands? Hug more? Did they –did they kiss? You did know that he was happy, and a tiny little part of you enjoyed that, but the rest was loathing everything Jae and Yooeun shared that day.

Jae walked into his house, letting love burst from his heart. He was high from his ‘date’. He didn’t bother calling out to tell his mother he was home. He just floated through the house to the living room. He saw it. He hand, shining with something shiny, on his back clinging onto the shirt’s material. His hands holding her face to his. The box, still open with the velvet slip empty. Their mouths’ locked; their eyes closed to the reality around them. Jaejoong put down his foot heavily, but unintentionally.

They broke apart; he smiled and held her hand. She blushed and let him show it off. A ring, an engagement ring. She fought back her embarrassment in front of her son. “Jae, we have something to tell.” He didn’t want to hear it. He turned his head away, making sure he couldn’t see them. His mother started to cry. Yoochun held his shaking love.

“Don’t I deserve to love?” She had started sobbing. “I don’t like to be alone Jaejoong! I need someone to be there for me. I can’t be strong alone!” She was violently shaking. Yoochun had her in a tight embrace.

He lost his feeling of bliss. “Yah! What about me? Why didn’t you think of asking me?” His mother shook her head.

“Don’t act like you don’t know how I feel! I know that you went on a date today. You understand how lonely I am! Don’t try and guilt trip me!” Yoochun frowned at you. “We are going to get married, you don’t have a say in this!”

Push

His mother was an idiot. She got engaged. She spent nearly every moment with Yoochun, leaving Jaejoong all alone. He sunk farther and farther into depression. Even in the cooking club, he just sat around, staring at the wall, waiting for time to pass. Neither you, nor Yooeun, could get him to smile again. He was just losing it.

Push

In the mail, some time in December, your family received the invitation to her wedding. The invite was pink and covered in hearts. The card made you gag

You are cordially invited to the uniting of Kim Soonyi and Park Yoochun’s marriage.
* * * * * * Family: Son Kim Jaejoong
* * * * * *
Feburary 14, ****

You felt like throwing it away. You never wanted to see it, something you knew was hurting him. Your mother was excited. She wanted to see how they would put together a wedding on Valentines Day. It was they day of lovers. It was just a week after Mr. Kim’s death anniversary. You had no reason to be happy. Even if Park Yoochun had agreed with Soonyi to change his last name to Kim instead of vise versa. Even if Kim Jaejoong wasn't going to be moving with his new father somewhere else. You just couldn't be happy.

Push

Jaejoong had refused to go to the wedding. He refused to even be near the man that was trying to outshine his own father. You and Yunho stayed with him at your house while your parents went to the wedding. Yunho even invited Yooeun over to help keep him company. Jaejoong didn’t respond to anything. He just sat on the couch blankly, letting everything you whispered to him pass by like they were lies. You felt like you were telling lies too.

“Yoochun might be nice. You might like him. Your mother will be happy.” But he wouldn’t respond. It crushed you. Yooeun stood back and let you care for him. You were grateful, grateful she wouldn’t take the spot you wanted to keep. The mother that would never leave him. She left you alone with Jaejoong and decided that she and Yunho would make dinner.

In the kitchen, Yooeun was cutting vegetables while Yunho was washing. Yooeun looked at Yunho and shook her head. “He got so depressed, even though we went to the amusement park.” Yunho handed her a potato to cut.

“Why did you go instead of -------? I bought her the tickets so she could spend time with Jaejoong. I don’t understand why she gave them to you.” Yooeun kept cutting.

“She said she had something else to do.” Yunho shook his head in disagreement.

“------- didn’t do anything that day! She never left her room.” When Yooeun heard that, the knife she was holding slipped and she cut her finger. She let out a cry as the stinging cut started to bleed.

Jae lifted his head when he heard Yooeun scream, but he didn’t move anymore. You looked into the kitchen, but kept whispering your lies to him.

Yunho quickly looked at her. He moved the vegetables he was washing and grabbed her wrist. He the faucet so the water was rushing out and stuck her finger under it. It stung. Her eyes started to tear up. She looked at Yunho, her face begging him to let go, but his face was determined. He wouldn’t let her go. He wouldn’t let her get hurt. He was going to keep her safe. She saw his face, covered with worry, and she saw how mature he was.

Yunho let her hand go and grabbed a band aid. He laughed at himself. “I made such a big deal out of that. It was only a small cut!” He put his hand on his head and sigh exhausted.

Yooeun smiled at him. “It could have been a big deal sunbae. It could have been infected or something or…” Yunho had smiled at her back.

He looked at the vegetables she had cut, covered in blood, then glanced down at the vegetables he had thrown on the ground and stepped on while attending to her. He got out a broom. “Guess we should just order out.” Yooeun let her smile take over her face.