4th Pull, you running

Push and Pull

You weren’t intimidated by them. They were just high school students that still depended on their parents for a place to live. You did too, but you could always move out. It was a personal thing; staying near Jae. “Look guys, I am a journalist, so anything that happens here today will end up in my newspaper. I don’t have anything to do with you; I am just talking about a movie we just saw.” An underling raised his lip like he smelled something stanky. “Be on your way.” They didn’t move. You raised your hand and shooed; slowly mouthing the word go. “Ka.” Jaejoong was also standing his ground by you.

Someone picked up a bat, and then soon, everyone was gathering around you. You held onto Jaejoong’s hand tightly. You backed down the street. The followed at an equal pace. “Guys, these two don’t seem to understand where they are. They are on my turf, so they need to respect me. Get ‘em”

“Yes hyung-nim.” They walked towards you, banging lead pipes in their hands.

You made a sour face to Jaejoong. “You see what I mean Jae? It is because of you,” you directed to the students while pointing a finger at all of them, “that the movies of today are just all talk and no action. I mean, is that all you can do, verbal terrorism? Just once, just once, I want to be attacked by a gang, and not talked to. Just help me prove a point guys, help me!” They looked at you like you were crazy. They were planning on beating you senseless, and you were criticizing their gang ways. You were a psycho crazy , and you knew it. It dated back to talking back to your English teacher.

You had turned to Jaejoong; you let a smile break onto your face. Still his hand tightly, you broke into a sprint down the more rundown streets of Seoul. Things were getting darker around you, and it wasn’t just because the building blocked out the light and they were too freaking poor to afford putting up street lights. The sky was brewing Tempest. Things slowed down around you. By being an to mere high school gang kids, you were putting your as well as Jaejoong’s life in danger. The sound of the kids following you sounded like just an echo. You could only focus on Jaejoong beside you. His chest, heaving as he ran. His eyes, darting around searching for trouble. His arms, pumping as fast as his legs. His neck, with a large vein starting to pop out. His cheeks were flushed from being out of breath.

You felt as if you were running slowly, but you knew the both of you were passing the buildings in a flash. There was one building; you think you had seen it in a magazine once. There was a murder there. You laughed at the thought, how similar the situation was becoming. You remembered that the building had only been two blocks from the police station, so the police had an easy time catching the criminal. Hmm, it had been to the left. Oh, you passed that building. The kids behind you were running at full speed, some on their motorcycles. Why hadn’t they all come on their motorcycles? They must have been a higher rank in their gang. How funny, the fact that gangs actually have ranks and rules that are followed. It was too ironic. Some were slowly bobbing their heads up and down, jumping and skipping to keep up. Why were they so angry? Why were they so intent with bashing your heads in? Those kids, too much testosterone. You looked up at the sky, the dark clouds were moving at double speed, but everything around you was slowed down to the millisecond. Just around the corner, then there would just be two blocks between you and the police station.

BAM! You ran right into a wooden fence, letting Jaejoong smoosh you from behind. You lost you breath. The first of the followers nearly ran into you also. You growled at them warningly and they backed up a step, but raised their weapons. They were about to hit you, but Jaejoong rushed in front of the blows, taking all the damage himself. Your eyes dilated. You didn’t want to see him getting hurt. You turned to the fence behind you, you would have jumped it, but you didn’t have enough arm strength. You looked farther down and raised you shoe. With a good shove you had your foot on the other side. You pulled you foot back and kept kicking the fence, and in a matter of seconds there was a large hole. You grabbed the back of Jaejoong’s shirt and pulled him away from the attacks and through the hole. You ran like hell. The kids behind you all tried to shove their way through at the same time. It would only give you a little time. Most of them would start jumping it at any moment. You ran those last two blocks, knowing your lives were on the line.

You felt like the man from the movie, rushing as fast as he could to save the woman he had fallen in love with. If he didn't make it in time, she was dead. Literally. You weren't going to let Jaejoong be like that woman, you were going to make on time.

You opened the police door panting. Your legs were sore and they burned like you had tried cooking yourself. The gang had stopped following you when they saw the station. Seems they didn’t really want trouble after all. You looked at Jaejoong who had plopped down on a chair in the waiting area. He had a few cuts on his lip and his cheeks were bruised, they had avoided his eyes, how nice. You couldn’t see through it, sadly, but you were sure that he had bruises forming under his clothes. You sat next to him, letting the adrenaline dissipate. A secretary, talking on a phone, looked at you two. She put the phone on her shoulder, “Can I help you two?”

You looked at Jaejoong. “Yes, I would like to file a report on an attempted gang assault.”