8th Pull, you leaving

Push and Pull

You were pouring your third cup of coffee for the day. Coffee just wasn’t as strong as it used to be. The assignments just started piling up after your brilliant piece on the best vacation spots. It had been perfectly timed; with the high school students on break too, entire families were looking for a good way to take a break. The chief had commended you on your work, and he scolded Jaejoong for playing around. You started to hate him more for being so biased towards him. You hated how the conversation had gone when you two got back.

“We’ll put you on the crime section. Your writing is very good. It has a hint of realism in it. You point out obvious but important things that people seem to overlook. ‘The tourist trap that has been set up is very profiting, but it seems to be influencing more than our business ways. From the materials to the people, everything is nearly completely westernized. You start to forget that you are in Korea at all.’ We are starting to get a lot of fan mail for you. People are happy to look at things in a new perspective.” He turned to Jaejoong. “You are starting to slack in your area. The restaurants you visited were all small places. It’s good for their business, but you need to visit the big places first, then the little ones, and then visit the big places again. Stick to that order!”

Jaejoong left a little less than pleased. He was happy for your success, but was dejected at his supposed failure. You thought he would be fine. He knew what he was doing and he did it wonderfully. You hoped that he wouldn’t go on another depression run. You had just gotten him happy again.

Pull

Your phone was ringing. Your cringed, you recognized that number. People around the office were starting to stare at you, wondering why you weren’t answering your phone. You sighed and got up from your over cluttered desk. You stepped outside so no one would overhear you. You answered the phone, “Please stop calling me! How did you get my number? Who are you?” The same erted breathing could be heard from the other end. Your eyes started to water. This person was starting to freak you out.

“I wish, *ha ha ha* you would wear a miniskirt like the rest of the women. *ha ha ha* Your legs are *ha ha ha* someth –” You hung up shuddering. The person calling knew where you worked and what you were wearing at that moment. You were scared out of your mind. You had never thought you would get stalker phone calls. Even more, you had no idea what this person would do. You knew they had a sick mind; you didn’t want to know what else he was.

Pull

“Jaejoong, what is this you are writing? You are on the purple line. If you keep writing crap about small businesses, I’m going to let you go. Get yourself together!” Jaejoong was shaking in fury. He had handed in a well written report. What did it matter that it was about a small family restaurant? Those were the types of places people felt comfortable going to.

He slammed his hands on the chief’s desk and leaned close to his face. “You are not threatening me! I am giving you my two weeks in advance warning. I quit!” Jaejoong stormed out of the office. You had been standing outside the door listening in. You quickly followed his angered pace to catch up to him.

“Jaejoong, what are you doing? How can you just quit like that? What are you going to do for a job?” He looked at you with the anger still fresh on his face. When he saw how concerned you were he let his face soften, but his voice was still harsh.

“I can’t stand that man! He is always talking about me! The other day he even brought up my family! Saying it was weird to have a brother that was almost 14 years younger than me. I was so insulted! He needs to just stay out of my business. Can you believe the nerve that guy has? He was always bringing up Yooeun and Yunho! How the hell does he know about this stuff? I swear I want to just….” He was shaking his hands in front of him, as if choking the man.

“Jae, that is what is means to be an adult. You have to learn how to deal with these things.” You didn’t want him to leave. You had been so lucky to get a job with him. You didn’t want him to leave. Things were going so well, you couldn’t afford to quit and follow him. But you couldn’t stop hi. He wasn’t going to listen to you. Why should he? He was his own person, you were just latching on, hoping he would feed your needs.

“I guess I am just not adult enough.” He continued to storm out, leaving you alone in the hallway. He was leaving you alone. All alone.

You heard heavy breathing from behind you. You recognized the breathing. It was the person on the phone. Your eyes widened. You wanted to call out to Jaejoong, but you weren’t sure what the person would do to him. You slowly turned around to face the person. Your heart stopped. All the praise you had earned from writing meant nothing. You didn’t know if you had any real talent or not. The people at the beach were strange. Their opinions on your body were wrong. Everything had to be wrong because it was shared by that man. Standing behind you, breathing heavily was the chief.

“I told you to wear miniskirts. I like to see you thighs and .” Mentioning you he slapped it for emphasis. You gasped a little, not wanting him to know how much he bothered you. “You don’t have to hold back, I got rid of Jaejoong for you. I want to see you in more miniskirts, ok?” You nodded your head and backed up. Slowly at first, but you soon were running into the street, away from the office building.

You ran to a park and sat at a bench. Looking around, there was no one there, the tears you had been holding back fell instantly. You had made Jaejoong quit! He wasn’t going to be there for you. You had ruined his life. You had a erted boss. You felt so stupid for getting caught up in that mess. At that moment, more than ever before, you needed Jaejoong there to protect you. But he was gone. He wasn’t coming back. The chief would see to that. He probably knew everything about you. You didn’t want him anywhere around the people you loved. You parents, Yunho, Yooeun, Changmin, Soonyi and Yoochun, Junsu, and most importantly, Jaejoong. You needed to keep him away from Jaejoong the most.