Chapter 7

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

A week had passed after Byul and I went on our spying expedition. Half of me dreaded the fact that I went at all, because if I didn't, I would have the benefit of the doubt, yet the other half was glad that I did, because I finally knew the truth. I finally knew what he was thinking.

I was dying inside. I didn't know what to do. Clearly, Woohyun and I had no future together. I couldn't date someone who talked to another girl about our personal problems than he did to me personally. I couldn't date him because it was very clear that day in the cafe. Woohyun and Minji were an unofficial couple. If I stayed with him, the problem would just get worse and I would become the third wheel.

For the whole week I was bothered and couldn't concentrate on one thing for long. Everytime I tried to think of something else, his name drifted back into my head and I became distracted. Luckily we handed in our projects that Chan and I had been slaving over, and the professor rewarded us with light homework for a week. All my other lectures - well, I guess I could ask the person behind me for their notes, although I'm sure she'd be very reluctant to share. I'd been subtly avoiding Chansik by always arriving late to physics and choosing a seat at the back, and then bolting to the foodcourt to buy lunch and eating it in the library on campus. He texted me a few times, but I ignored him. I knew it wasn't his fault, nor it mine, but I just needed to be alone these few days.

Should I hold onto one of the best things that came out of high school? Should I hold onto this high school romance thing that has obviously been going on for too long? We've both changed - but Woohyun has for the worse. Everything he said to me was a lie. The way he treated me seemed like I was in high school again. It was petty and stupid....I thought we had both gotten past that point already.

I picked up my phone and took a deep breath. One day he had stolen my phone and changed his name to Woohyun is the hottest, most handsome <3 <3 and put I Love You by 2NE1 as his personal ringtone, and a picture of him pouting at the camera with kissy lips. I stared at his name and my head throbbed at the irony and contradiction.

I found his name and dialled his number with shaking fingers and a palpitating heart.

"Hello?" He answered with a tone of annoyance.

"It's Hana," I replied coolly. If I had any doubts before this, they vanished the minute he answered his phone with that voice. "We need to talk. Meet me at the cafe near the library in an hour." Then, without waiting for his reply, I hung up.

Throwing my phone away and exhaling deeply, I flopped onto my bed face down and let a minute pass. Then I got up to get changed and head out to the cafe.

I knew this day was coming for a while now. But that didn't mean that it would hurt any less.

"Hana, I think we should break up." Woohyun looked at me with an expressionless face. I tried to search for an flicker of emotion, but it remained blank. "Things are different now. I - well, I think it would be the best thing for the both of us."

My heart was beating furiously in my chest. I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded.

"I - I hope you find someone who is better for you than I am. Please believe me when I say that these few months have been special."

I still didn't say anything. How could he even bear to break up with me without explaining himself? Did he think I was stupid? I knew about her. About what they did. About what they said about me.

I opened my mouth to reply but he continued.

"Hana.....I know you like that guy you're always with. I wish you were just honest with me because I just want you to be happy."

Wait - what? His words hit me like a tonne of bricks. Why did he have that sympathetic tone with me? Like, by breaking up, he was doing me a favour? Something was definitely wrong. He was trying to place the blame for breaking up on me, not him. I swallowed.

"Wait - Woohyun, what are you talking about? What guy? There was only....you."

He looked shocked and taken aback. "That guy you're always with! You guys are having a thing. I know it." He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "You guys are always together."

I gave a cry of frustration. "Woohyun, when will you get it through your thick skull that Chan and I had a physics project we had to do? I told you a million times when we texted. We're project partners and friends. That's all."

He sat there a while, absorbing this. Then, as he pieced two and two together, that I wasn't cheating on him, he realised that he had no reason to break up. A terrified look flashed across his face but he composed it quickly. Woohyun realised he had screwed up.

"Hana, I'm sorry - I honestly, well, er I - "

"Shut it, Woohyun," I snapped again. "You're breaking up with me only because you have someone else. Not me. Don't lie and try blame the reason on me."

He tried to speak but I cut him off.

"Do you think I'm blind? Or stupid? I knew from that day you ignored me in the cafe, and the way you hardly spoke to me anymore that you had someone else." I paused, eyes prickling. "I hung on for too long. I kept thinking to myself, the Woohyun I know is in there somewhere. He's just getting overwhelmed by the start of university. The Woohyun I know  is gonna come back, and then we can talk about 2NE1 and mangoes and music videos again."

I paused at stared at him. He was avoiding my eye contact and staring at the table, tracing patterns endlessly with his thumb.

"Are you even listening to me?" I cried. I felt like slapping him.

"Are you done talking?" He replied in a quiet voice. He looked up at me with angry, dark eyes. "Because I want to talk now."

I crossed my arms and looked at him expectantly.

"I don't understand why you keep saying that I'm like a completely different person. I'm not! Look at me," he gestured to himself. "I'm exactly the same."

"You're not the same," I said through gritted teeth. "Why are you so ignorant? The Woohyun I know would not have blown me off in the cafe. He would text me everyday. He wouldn't go talking about our problems to another girl. He would come straight to me and sort it out."

"I should text you everyday? What about you, Hana? You never made an effort to text me either. Have you ever thought about that?" Woohyun's eyes were dark and raging. I could tell he was trying to stay very calm but it was slowly slipping away.

"I had my physics project, for the millionth time! Why can't you understand that I've been busy?!"

"Has it ever occurred to you," he said icily. "That I've been busy too? For the same reasons?"

My cheeks turned slightly red at this. Truthfully, it had not occurred to me before. Hurriedly, I was tried to think of something to say, but he began to talk again.

"And what do you mean by me talking to another girl about our problems? When have I ever done that?" He feigned innocence.

"Don't even try to lie, Woohyun. I know what you said to her that day in the cafe. How you two were the cosiest couple there." My voice was seething with sarcasm.

"I didn't say anything," he said matter of factly. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't deny it," I said, taking a deep breath to try calm myself. "If you said it, you said it. Don't freaking lie, Nam Woohyun."

"How did you find out? Have you been stalking me?" His fists were clenched. His voice was getting louder and louder. People in the cafe were beginning to stare.

"It doesn't matter how I know! You shouldn't have said it, even if you knew I wasn't there! What matters is, oh, you don't know why you're going out with me. Why, Woohyun? Tell me! Why are you going out with me? Is it because you think I'm getting it on with Chan behind your back?" I felt hot and flushed. The back of my neck was prickling. My voice was ringing in my ears. "I never did that. I would never do that." I paused. "I'm the faithful one."

"I - " He faltered.

"I never want to see you again." I cut him off. "I know you're just doing that because university is a new place. Everyone says that they don't care who you go out with, but they do. You can't say tell people that you're going out with me. It's better for your image if you're going out with the head cheerleader. I know this is true, don't deny it," I said when he opened his mouth to speak. "But I wish you were honest with me, instead of blaming me for everything! It's not me! It's you!"

He laughed a dry, hollow laugh. "How do I say that to you in honest words?"

"So you're saying that it's true then?" My ears were prickling and my heart was thumping loudly as this question left my mouth. I could feel it through my whole body.

He hesitated. Woohyun hesitated. And that hesitation was all I needed. I picked up my bag and got up to leave. I was wasting my time with someone who I didn't know who lied, cheated and embarrassed me.

"Hana, wait." He reached out and grabbed my wrist. I did nothing except look at his hand on mine with a bored expression on my face.

"Let me go."

"No, Hana, please, just let me explain, I - l - "

"Stop it! Let me go! Woohyun, don't you realise we're over? We both know it. Just - stop it. After all we've been through and everything we've done for each other," I took a deep breath. "You went and screwed it up."

I my heel and walked out. Not once did I look back.