Chapter 5

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

I suspected Hanbyul said something to Sunggyu, who in turn told Woohyun that I was upset at him for being stupid at the cafe that day. I knew this because it took him exactly three days to text me after I stormed out with Chansik - the same day that they had their first football match, the first opportunity where Sunggyu could tell him how I felt.

I felt terrible; insignificant and futile because my best friend's boyfriend had to tell my own boyfriend how I felt, and I felt even worse knowing that he had no idea I was angry at him.

Woohyun, Sunggyu and Hanbyul had invited me to come to the first match of the season, just like old times. Byul and I would hang out in the change rooms before the match and then after the match, the four of us would go eat Japanese food. It would be just like old times - and I had to admit - I really missed it. I missed Sunggyu and Hanbyul's cheesiness and public displays of affection that made me feel awkward, and I missed how Woohyun and I would bicker and have wasabi eating contests at the restaurant. I missed how Woohyun and Sunggyu would fight to pay the bill, just so one of us could kiss them on the cheek.

But things had changed, and things were different now. I wasn't speaking to Woohyun, and even if I was, I had to complete this mammoth physics project that was due in two weeks. The time had flown, and even though Chansik and I were working our butts off, there was still so much to do before it was due.

On Saturday, the day of the match, I caught the bus to Chansik's house because he had to babysit his brother at home and couldn't come out to the library. It was in a suburb I had never heard of before, and even though he gave me explicit instructions, I was still confused as to how to get there. Catch the 23 bus to the end stop and then walk to the end of the street and turn right. My house has an iron fancy gate thing, number 10, his text had read. But where was the 23 bus stop? I asked the man working at the information desk, and he gave me a funny look.

"Miss, that bus leaves from across the road. It's a shuttle bus to the private community in the new suburb they built last year."

I gaped at him. Private community?! I knew that his parents were paediatricians, but wow.

I hurriedly got on the bus and rode it for an hour before reaching the end. This was so tiring and time consuming. I made a mental note to scold Chansik when I got there. Next time, we were  meeting at the library.

Walk to the end of the road. I squinted and covered my eyes from the sun and inhaled sharply. I could not see the end of the road. It would take twenty minutes, minimum to get there. I gritted my teeth and started walking. Underneath this hot sun, I would no doubt get bad tan lines from my shoes and my t-shirt. Chansik was so dead later.

Finally, I arrived. Already in a bad mood, I pulled my things out and started to type things up, but my phone rang before I could start. Interrupted again. I saw the caller ID and frowned and pushed it away. Chan saw my face and gave me a curious look. I shook my head but he reached over and answered the phone with a mischievous look on his face.

"HELLO," he boomed. "THIS IS HANA'S PHONE."

He placed the phone close to my ear, so our heads were touching. I heard Woohyun make a sound of confusion.

"Who's this? Hana? Is that you?"

I bit my lip to lip to stop myself from laughing and giving it away.

"Hana's very busy right now," he said, nudging me. I giggled.

"Doing what?" Woohyun snapped. "I need to talk to her. Who are you? Give the phone to her. It's very important. I'm very important."

Chansik snorted. "You, important? Yeah, maybe to yourself."

"Who are you? Why are you insulting me on my girlfriend's phone?" Woohyun swore. "Give the phone to her, or I swear to God I'll - "

I quickly snatched the phone away from Chansik before an argument broke out over the phone.

"Woohyun, it's me," I said impatiently. "I can't talk right now, and well, I don't really want to talk to you anyway."

"Hana, I'm sorry, I really am. But please, I need to see you. Who's the guy who just answered your phone?" He paused and thought. "Oh my God  - Hana - he's the same guy who came and got you from the cafe?" He gasped. "Hana, are you cheating on me?"

I snorted at this absurd idea. "Don't be ridiculous, Woohyun. I could say the same about you and your precious Minji noona." I said the last two words with as much sarcasm and loathing as I could.

There was a pause. When he replied, he sounded angry. Very angry. "Hana, this conversation is over. Stop being so immature."

"Um, excuse me, I'm not the immature one, Woohyun. I'm hanging up now, because I need to work on my physics project. Chansik is my project partner. That's all."

I heard him heave a sigh of relief. "The guy who came to the cafe the other day is only your project partner? So you guys only went to the library after? Oh God, when you left, I was so worried that you - "


But I didn't hear what else he had to say, because I hung up him. He wasn't worried at all, from what I could see after.

"Wow Hana, did you just hang up on him? Well done!" Chansik chortled when I put my phone down. But I was in no mood to joke. Cheating on him was the very last thing on my mind, yet Woohyun was so quick to come to that decision, and I had to admit, it hurt. Our first real fight as a couple was not going well - but, then again, did any fights go well at all?

Throughout the next week, I pointedly ignored all his calls and text. It was, again, partially because of how busy I was with the project, and how I did not want to hear his voice. I was spending basically every living moment with Chansik, and I had grown closer to him in the absence of Hanbyul and Woohyun. He somehow always knew the right thing to say to me, especially at the times when Woohyun was on my mind and I couldn't concentrate on anything except feeling sulky and depressed. He would offer me some of his mom's ice cream when he knew I was feeling down, and I would shamelessly eat all of it while Chan gaped at me, saying how he didn't know someone could eat so much ice cream in one sitting. Then he would wander off and go gaming on his X-box for half an hour during our break. He had decided that he liked working at his house instead of the library, and despite my complaints about transport, he insisted, saying he would buy me lunch.

One night, four days before the project was due, I received a call from Hanbyul. It was a Saturday night, a night she would usually be out clubbing, and so it was unusual for her to be calling me.

"Hello?" I answered, semi-curious, semi-worried. "Byul? Is everything okay?"

"Hana, where are youuuuuu these days," she slurred. Obviously, she was drunk. "You never come clubbing with us anymore!"

I sat up, amused. "I never used to come with you guys anyway, Byul," I said softly. "Where are you?"

"Are you coming? Oh my God, guys, Hana is coming," she yelled to someone off the phone. "Yay!!!!!!!"

I sighed. When did I ever say that I was coming? "Byul, no, I'm not coming! I'm at Chansik's house now. We need to finish our project for physics."

She hiccuped loudly. "Hana, get here right now. I don't care about -" she hiccupped again, "him. Even though I don't know who he is. Just come, please. I'm at the Ruby Bar, near my campus. Please Hana. I miss you!!" Then she hung up, before I could say anything else.

I walked out of the living room and into what I presumed was Chansik's computer gaming play room where I could hear loud noises. It had a big, widescreen TV and three computers and many consoles underneath. Chansik was sprawled on the floor, playing Mario Kart on his Wii. With no shirt on.

I started choking when I saw him lying on the floor, shirtless. His body was well kept - defined in all the right places, with a very muscular back, and toned, but not too muscular, arms.

"Um, Chansik," I said extremely awkwardly, wishing I could be anywhere but here. I felt my face turn bright red. "Hello."

When he saw me, he quickly scrambled up and grabbed his shirt hanging on the back of his computer chair.

"What were you doing?" I asked suspiciously, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Hey!" He cried. "Not that! I was playing Mario Kart, and I split lemonade on my shirt so I took it off to dry."

"Okay, whatever," I said, biting my lip to stop myself from laughing. "Um, I'm gonna go. My friend wants me to meet her at this club near her campus, so I'm gonna go now......" I trailed off lamely. Chansik looked at me with that look he always has when I said I couldn't be bothered to do anymore work. It was a lazy, accusing look.

"Don't look at me like that! Come on, it's Saturday night. We've been working on this all day. Please," I whined. "I'll come early tomorrow!" His lips were pursed, unmoving. I noticed that his hair was sticking up a little at the back where he had been lying on it.

 “Do you wanna come?!" I asked, my last desperate attempt when he looked like he wasn't going to let me go. "I think my friend has some, er, other friends. You know. That you might like."

His face changed. He grinned and said okay, excusing himself to get changed before coming back downstairs with some keys in his hand.

"Hey, you never told me you could drive," I narrowed my eyes at him. "What about all those times I had to walk to your house from the bus stop, huh! It takes me twenty minutes!"

I reached over and swatted him on the head. "You , Chan, you really do. Next time you're picking me up! Making me walk twenty minutes in this heat, aish....."

We bickered and argued all the way to the club. Being a bit underdressed - I was wearing maroon skinnies, a baseball shirt and converse, and Chan wearing a loose singlet and denim shorts - I thought we weren't going to be allowed in, but Chansik walked straight to the front of the line, subject to the glares of many waiting in the queue, and gave the bouncer a man hug, pounding each others backs and everything, and we were let in. Just like that.

"Chan, do you know the - " I began, but he shook his head.

"My parents own this place."

"Wow, really?" I began again, looking for answers. "I thought you told me that they were paediatricians?"

He looked at me and winked. "Can't baby deliverers have a side hobby, too?"

So that explained how he lived in an expensive neighbourhood in which no buses went to. And how he attended the same university as I did, but not on scholarship. Not that he wasn't smart enough, because if he applied for the scholarship, I think he would have gotten it too, but that's besides the point. His parents could pay for that, and more.

"I see her!" I said excitedly as I spotted Hanbyul in a booth over the left side of the room. "Come on!" I grabbed his wrist and lead him trough the dance floor toward their table.

I heard him mutter something behind me as we walked but I couldn't quite place it as the music was thumping loudly in my ears.

"WHAT?!" I yelled into his ear, putting my face close to his.

"I SAID, IT'S HOT IN HERE," he yelled back into my ear.

I gave him a weird look. "OKAY," I yelled back. He laughed and swatted my head, but I ducked and he missed. I laughed and tugged on his arm to go closer to Hanbyul's table.

As I got closer, however, my heart fell.

Woohyun, Sunggyu and Hoya were also there. And Woohyun was staring at me with the most intense eyes I have ever seen. And I don't mean intense in the good way. It was more like the, are-you-sure-you're-not-cheating-on-me-with-him way.

I gulped and quickly dropped Chansik's hand, fully aware of what it looked like. But it wasn't this - it wasn't what he thought at all.

I never got the chance to explain to him, as he gulped down the rest of his drink, told Sunggyu something and stormed out of the club.

_______

Woohyun's POV will be coming later on in the story. Thanks for reading! :)