Chapter 31

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

 

Hana POV
 
"I'm sorry you had to do that," Woohyun said softly as we arrived at my house. The shuttle bus that travelled the route from the sports college to our neighbourhood stopped at 10pm. It was well over 11pm now and so Woohyun and I began the long trek home. 
 
He reached to squeezed my hands that were resting by my side. They were still shaking from shock. "I'm sorry for everything." 
 
We had spent the walk home in silence, enjoying each other's company and being extremely conscious of each other's actions. 
 
When I didn't answer, he shook my hands gently but desperately.
 
"Hana, can you say something?" He pleaded. "Are you angry at me?" 
 
I looked up from my shoes and gave him a sad sort of smile. No, I wasn't angry at him, but at myself.
 
"Woohyun, you know how scared I am of confrontation." I pulled my hands gently from his. They felt cold. "Why did I do it? My hands are still shaking, I don't know, I think I-"
 
I broke off. I was rambling.
 
Woohyun waited for me to finish and just looked at me like he knew the answer, fighting back a smile. 
 
"What?!" I cried, laughing. "Don't look at me like that. I feel so embarrassed." 
 
I buried my face in my hands, mumbling incoherently into my palms. 
 
"Hana," I heard him say. His voice sounded close. Very close. I could smell his cologne, such a sweet and rich scent that churned my stomach. 
 
I was scared to uncover my eyes. I waited, heart thumping and breathing deeply. 
 
"Look at me," he whispered. 
 
I withdrew my hands slowly and felt his face inches from mine. His chest was rising and falling as quickly as mine was.
 
"Woohyun," I choked out in a strangled voice. I know what he was going to do, but I couldn't let him. "Don't." 
 
Even though every single fibre inside of me was screaming to lean in closer to him, I knew that I was only setting myself up for another heartbreak later. 
 
"It's too soon," I whispered. "Not after everything that has happened in these two weeks." 
 
He nodded, but I could tell that he didn't understand. His eyes were closed, looking toward the sky as if seeking divine intervention. 
 
Woohyun gave me a sad smile and stepped back, but only a little. We were still standing very close. He grabbed my hands again. 
 
"When?" He asked simply, eyes never leaving mine. I had to physically pinch my flesh to stop myself from drowning in those warm, brown chocolate orbs. 
 
It was a simple question that required a simple answer. Yet, answering it was far from simple. Woohyun was asking me when we could be like we were before. When could things go back to normal. When could I be his girlfriend again. 
 
And everything inside of me wanted to answer him. To tell him that I never stopped loving him, and nothing would make me happier than if we were together. 
 
But I have changed. I've grown up from that naive girl who hurt so easily because she believed so easily. I'm not the girl from high school anymore; too many things have happened that has changed and shaped me into the better person that I am today. 
 
My feelings for him never changed, and they will never change. Woohyun and I have a bond that can get twisted, ripped and torn apart but still never be broken. 
 
Some things I just had to accept. Woohyun, no matter how much he promised, would just find another way to hurt me again. It has happened too many times that I have lost count. And if I was still the girl I was a year ago, I would go running back into his arms.
 
But I'm not. And I never will be.
 
I shook my head and smiled my best heartbroken smile. My ears were roaring, and I felt positive that Woohyun could hear my heartbeat because it was so loud. 
 
"I like being friends, don't you?" I leaned in to give him a hug, gripping him tightly because everything has changed. 
 
We stood in embrace for a long time. I didn't want to let go, and Woohyun didn't let me let go. 
 
When he pulled away, he reached over to smooth my fringe and tuck it behind my ear. 
 
"I like you," he said, making my heart melt with sorrow. "And I'll wait. We can be friends, Hana, but..." He trailed off. 
 
"But?" I asked timidly.
 
He looked straight into my eyes again. "But nothing." He smiled and exhaled deeply with relief. "Good night, Hana." 
 
Woohyun pulled me close to him again and kissed my forehead, his lips lingering. 
 
"Night," I whispered to myself as we parted ways. "I love you."