Chapter 26

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

 

Like the organized, engineering student Hana was, she wrote a list titled Pros and Cons of Calling Woohyun.

It was in her physics book, right next to her notes on quarks. She would soon destroy it after reading and writing it, but it helped clear her mind and force her to see only black and white.

In the Pros column, she wrote down the following things: a clearer mind, closure, satisfying her curiosity, moving on and because Chansik told her to.

In the Cons column, she down the following things: awkward exchange of words, an answer from Woohyun that she might not want to hear, hearing the truth, hearing reasons why he did everything that he did, hearing him try to justify his actions, hearing more lame excuses, addressing and confronting problems in her life, actually initiating change when she was afraid of it and the most frightful one of all – making the unknown become known.

In the end, she decided to call him. Even though the cons list outnumbered the pros list, which, in a universal action called common sense, meant that shewould not undergo the plan as stated. But, Hana thought, what the hell? In a fleeting moment, one single moment, she could press the dial button without thinking and accept the consequences that followed, whether it be good or bad.

The only thing she needed to decide now were if she was going to chicken out last minute, and when a good time was to contact him.

What would she say? What should she say? A million questions were running through her mind, but she pushed them to the very back. If she didn’t think of it, chance was, during the phone call, instinct would take over. And if she could trust something, as silly as it sounded, it was instinct.

 

Woohyun lay on his bed, thumbing through his contacts on his phone. More specifically, he was scrolling through the ‘H’ section over and over. He had texted Hyeri earlier in the morning to ask if she had sorted things with Chansik. She replied that things were still a bit unclear, and they needed more communication, but she was glad he initiated contact because it showed he still thought of her as a friend.

This got him thinking. He should probably contact Hana, too. He was inspired, by all odds, by Chansik. Chansik, the guy he always saw as his rival for Hana. For her love. She was always happy whenever he saw them together. She had that smile on her face that left Woohyun breathless.

But she never had that smile for him anymore.

He kept scrolling mindlessly through his contacts. He wasn’t sure for how long. He was doing it until his eyes went blurry, and then he would blink it away and start again.

Something broke his pattern of monotony. A cacophony of red and green showered his face in the dark, blurred because of his unfocused eyes. He sat up and rubbed them before squinting at his phone.

His heart leapt out of his chest when he saw what was written on the screen. Hana calling.

Was he simply delusional? Or was this really happening? He wasted no time in pondering, and slid the green phone to the right and pressed his mobile tightly to his ear. His heart was in his throat. A lump settled there like Mount Everest.

“Hello?” A sweet voice sounded from the other end. He bit back a smile. How he loved that voice.

“Hi,” Woohyun replied breathlessly. “Hana, how are you?”

She paused. She was trying to absorb in fully what she had just done. A split second decision, her brain suddenly becoming detached and her thumb acting of it’s own will had lead to this; talking on the phone, in person, to the guy who had ruined or improved her life – she couldn’t decide which.

“Good,” she answered mindlessly. “Um…” Hana trailed off, unsure how to continue.

There was a silence for a few minutes as both boy and girl anticipated each other’s answers.

It was Woohyun who broke the silence. He broke the silence on the phone, and he broke the silence on what both of them were thinking but both were too scared to vocalize.

“I miss you,” he breathed. “You – you’ve been avoiding me, Hana.”

She doesn’t reply. He begs for forgiveness, but she isn’t going to give it that easily. No way.

“You hurt me, Woohyun. You always hurt me. I – I don’t know how I can do any of this anymore,” she began, heart sinking.

“You know I’m sorry for that, Hana,” he replied, closing his eyes. “I’ve apologized a thousand times. But I know that such words are empty…I promise you that I’ll – “

She cut him off rather forcefully. “Don’t make any more promises. Especially, especially ones that you can’t keep.”

She exhaled the breath she was holding. She couldn’t believe that, after all this time and everything that had happened, she was finally having this conversation with him.

“I won’t break this promise, “ he pleaded. “Please. You have to believe me. Give me another chance, Hana.”

She shook her head, although he couldn’t see. “If I did…I could never answer to myself. If I did, I would just be labeled as weak. If I did, Woohyun, I’m just setting myself up for more hurt.”

He cried out, frustrated. “Is it because you have someone else?”

He didn’t say it, but the name Chansik was lingering in the air like a toxic gas.

“No,” She snapped, annoyed that she was always the one being accused of being unfaithful. “There is no other. No one. It’s always been – “

She caught herself before she was able to finish her sentence. She was about to say, it has always been you.

But of course she couldn’t say that. Not anymore.

“Hana – “ He hesitated, clearly thinking of something he could say to make her stay. “I’ll never let you walk out of my life. You mean too much to me.”

She laughed a hollow, bitter laugh. “Well, the way you show that I mean something to you is pretty weird.”

He ignored this. “I’m not hanging up the phone until you forgive me.” Woohyun, pleased with himself for this improvisation, to earn her forgiveness, leant back with a smug expression.

“Fine. I forgive you. But that’s it.” Hana answered shortly and abruptly. She was not in the mood to be bickering on the phone. “Woohyun, don’t make me regret calling you. I forgive you…but that’s it.”

He couldn't really believe his ears. She forgave him?

"I'm not in the mood, Woohyun. I just want this whole...issue to be settled between us. I accept your apology, but not your heart. Nothing is going to happen between us. I just - I can't anymore. I'm sorry. I'm tired of this jealousy, ignoring, silent treatment between us and I want it just to be over. I know it might never be the same again, but it's a risk I am willing to take."

She sniffled, unaware of the tension and tears building inside her. He made a painful noise.

“I’ll let you go,” he whispered. The words of his coach rang through his mind, loud and clear.

He wasn’t sure if she heard. But he had let the words out there, and it was up to her to comprehend and understand.

Another awkward silence ensued.

Woohyun was about to say something, but his mother burst into his room to announce that dinner was ready.

This made Hana, on the other line, laugh a little, in turn causing Woohyun to crack a smile.

Before they knew it, both of them were gasping for air from peals of laughter. Hana cried, her tears a mixture of relief, happiness and sadness.

“Oh,” she cried, wiping tears from her eyes. “I haven’t really laughed like that for a while. It’s always Mrs. Nam, isn’t it?”

He chuckled. His heart was soaring. He was happy and proud he could make her laugh. It wasn’t like old times, but he would take it. Anything.

“So,” he said too casually. “Where does that make us now?”

She thought for a moment. “Friends,” she said finally.