Chapter 12

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

 

My avoiding of Woohyun was becoming more and more difficult. I wanted to stop and just talk to him, but that was an option that didn't exist in my mind. I was being tortured by my own mind and the pain and loneliness I felt when I wasn't with him, but I knew that the pain when I was together with him would be even greater. I couldn't put up with his selfish and shallow ways, nor could I put up without that cheesy, greasy smile and his warm hug that made me feel safe. 
 
I was in extreme conflict with myself. I was sure I was going crazy. To put up with him, or live without him? And the worse thing of all was that this pain was one-sided. I knew for a fact that he didn't feel the same conflicting emotions as I did, judging by those loud laughs and wide smiles with his arm slung casually around Minji's shoulders. 
 
I knew I would have to face him one way or another, and this time came quickly than I expected - at Sunggyu's birthday. It was another irony that this time last year was when Woohyun had laughed at what I wore in front of all his friends, leaving me hurt, confused and humiliated. 
 
"Byul, for the last time, I am not going," I said impatiently to her, who was busy planning a big surprise party in which the whole football and cheerleader team were in attendance. "You know he's going to be there."
 
"I know," she sighed. "But Hana, you're going to have to face him one day." 
 
I grunted, irritated that Hanbyul had managed to voice exactly what I was thinking. 
 
"I know, but not tonight." I sighed. "I'm...not ready."
 
"But who says you're going just for him, anyway? Come to support me! And see if this big surprise will work out! Hana, please. I know you'll end up thanking me later." 
 
I shook my head stubbornly, concentrating on tracing the pattern on Byul's dressing table. 
 
"Nothing to wear," I shrugged. 
 
"That's not a problem!" She squealed and flung open her wardrobe. "You can show off your hot new bod as well!"
 
"Byul," I muttered, feeling extremely uncomfortable every time she mentioned me exercising or losing weight - because I didn't. "I'm not."
 
"You're not what?" She said mindlessly, flicking through her dresses. "Not wearing my clothes, or not going?"
 
She plucked one off the rack and turned back to face me. "You have no choice. You're gonna look stunning in this!" 
 
It was a white dress, high necked and sleeveless that had a fitted bodice but came out in a loose skirt just above my knees. It was littered with patches of orange, purple, blue and light green, and even I had to admit that it was beautiful. 
 
"It's a nice dress." I hesitated. "Byul, you don't remember the last time we were at a club together." I winced before I said it. Even though it was a long time ago, it was still embarrassing to say out loud. "He laughed at me wearing a dress." 
 
"Not this time he won't, or I'll have Sunggyu bash him up while I hold him down. No joke, Hana, if he even tries to look at you tonight, I'll gauge his eyeballs out. Just ignore him, don't look at him or talk to him. You'll be fine! There's many other people there tonight. It won't just be you two."
 
She looked at me with pleading eyes. I knew she was right, but inside, I was still scared. Scared that all these things I was feeling was just based on my false hope and own stupidity. I was scared to find out that I had no right to have these emotions, even if I told no soul.
 
"Shower now!" Byul broke my train of thought and threw a towel at me. "We're leaving in three hours. And I'm doing your makeup!" 
 
---------
 
"Now, everyone be quiet while I call him and ask where he is," Byul yelled at the crowd, shushing everyone.
 
We were at someone's house, the wing of the football team or something, and Byul had told Sunggyu to meet her here because the were having a movie night together. To be honest, the plan seemed a little weird to me, but I didn't question it as Byul was looking more stressed than ever. 
 
"Two minutes away?!" She squeaked into her phone. "Okay, see you soon!" 
 
She hung up quickly and yelled at everyone to get into their places. I had chosen a spot behind the couch on the other side of Woohyun and Minji so I could avoid them and keep an eye on them at the same time. 
 
"Oof," I cried a little loudly as I lost my balance crouching down, falling into the guy crouching next to me. 
 
"Sorry," I apologised. 
 
"No problem, Hana," he said.
 
"Huh?" I did a double take and stared at his face but it was obsecured by these ridiculous masks Hanbyul made us all wear. Finally, it clicked. "Chansik?!"
 
He grinned. "I saw you with Hanbyul, I waved but you didn't see me." He looked hurt. "Hana, you look really beautiful today." He scratched his head awkwardly. 
 
"Thanks," I said, smiling but not believing. "So what are you doing here?!" 
 
He looked hurt again. "I was invited by your friend. Have you been on facebook lately? I sent you some messages, but - "
 
"Sorry," I blushed. "I've been a bit busy with.....stuff."
 
"I get it if you don't want to talk to me," he pouted, jutting out his lower lip. 
 
I leaned over and smacked him on the arm. I was met with extremely hard muscle and I jumped a little, not expecting that. My eyes widened and my cheeks felt hot. Looking at his dress shirt, it was fitting a little too tightly.....
 
"What you staring at," he eyed me suspiciously. 
 
"Nothing," I snapped back a little too loudly. "Shush, Sunggyu is coming." 
 
He opened his mouth is say something, but I smacked him again. My cheeks felt hot again. 
 
Shortly after, Sunggyu came in and we all stood up and yelled out 'SURPRISE!' while popping those party poppers and throwing silly putty on him. His face turned extremely red and he glared at Byul before sweeping her into a hug and kiss and thanking her profusely for organising such an event. Everyone went 'awwwww' when they kissed, but Gyu told them all to shut up and enjoy the party. 
 
Chansik went to the toilet and Byul was busy with Sunggyu so I went to the drink table to get some punch, but too late - I had spotted Minji there and she had spotted me, making it too late to turn back. I had spent most of my night worrying and stressing about running into Woohyun, but he seemed to have disappeared. 
 
I walked slowly up to the table, heart pounding in my chest. 
 
"Hey, Hana," she said a bit timidly. 
 
"Hi," I smiled back politely. 
 
"Do you remember me? We met that day at the cafe with Woohyun."
 
I choked a bit on my drink. How could I not remember her? 
 
"Yes, of course I do. How have you been?" 
 
She ignored my question and got straight to the point. "I just wanted to say - that I'm sorry for everything that happened between you two because of me. I know that I wasn't the cause of it all, but I certainly helped the tension and stuff."
 
I looked at her. Her apology seemed sincere, but still, I was a little apprehensive. 
 
"Did Woohyun tell you to apologise?" I asked a bit meanly. 
 
She shook her head. "He didn't. I just feel terrible for what happened between you two, and that I ruined it, a bit." 
 
"But - " I didn't know what to say. Here was Woohyun's noona girlfriend who, the only time we had met in the cafe, had snubbed me and gave me the once-over, flirted shamelessly with him infront of me when I was still his girlfriend, and practically stole his affections. Why was she apologizing to me? 
 
"I know," she said, seeming to read my mind. "And I'm sorry for what happened that day, too. I've changed." She hesitated. "Woohyun made me change." 
 
I couldn't help but smile at that. "I know. He made me change too."