Chapter 25

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

 

Hana POV

Both Chansik and I were silent on the way home. There was too much to think of, fathom and hope. What we thought would be a simple outing for ice cream turned out to be something that made us both feel depressed.

Woohyun had moved on quickly, as did Hyeri. Did what happened that night when he was drunk mean nothing to Woohyun? Isn’t the fact that I showed up to his house – despite everything – enough to show him that I still had feelings for him? Rather than feeling hurt, I just felt confused. Really confused.

And Hyeri – she had been in an argument with Chansik. It took her less than twenty four hours to be sitting too closely to Woohyun with his arm draped casually on her chair. Chan and I both saw this, but we didn’t say anything to each other.

Did Woohyun and Hyeri have a…thing? Whatever it was called these days. I didn’t want to think because I didn’t want to know. It was too soon. Way too soon.

At least I wasn’t alone in my confusion. I had Chansik next to me, driving silently, who was the same or even more confused as I was. For the first time in a long time, what I was feeling was justified and understood by another living human being on the planet.

The car ride was silent because we both understood the confusion and underlying hurt that the respective other felt.

“Chan,” I finally broke the silence. He waited until we stopped at a red light before he answered.

“Yeah. I’m not sure either,” he answered shortly. “I – I thought we were just taking a break. Why did I get the feeling that her and Woohyun are… were –“

I leaned over and squeezed the hand that wasn’t on the steering wheel.

“It’s okay, I understand. Me, too. Everyday,” I laughed bitterly. He didn’t reply.

The silence was awkward but comforting. While I welcomed a silence with Woohyun, silence with Chansik was very weird for me. He would usually never shut up. He loved to hear the sound of his own voice so he rambled on and on. I could tell that he was truly suffering, but from what, I wasn’t really sure.

We stopped at another light. He turned to look at me.

“Why do girls do that? They –“ He his lips. “They say one thing, then they go and do the complete opposite.”

I thought about this. “Sometimes, they’re secretly hoping that you’ll do the same, too. You being a guy, and all. Say one thing and mean another.” I spoke carefully; very aware of the tight grip he had around the steering wheel.

I had never seen Chansik like this. Gone was the cheerful, happy virus, replaced by someone filled with pent up jealousy and confusion. It made me feel very uncomfortable.

“Chan,” I grabbed his hand again. Inside, I felt the same. Exactly the same. But I had learnt long ago to not show emotions if I could help it. To keep them in check. Because showing them was a weakness. “Tell me what you’re thinking. Don’t keep it inside you.”

He breathed deeply for a few minutes as we drove. “I – I don’t know why she wanted to take a break. She started yelling at me one day after getting this weird phone call that distracted her attention from dinner. She went on about how I was too clingy and possessive. But Hana, I’m not! I’m so, so careful to be exactly none of those things. I always gave her space. I don’t understand,” he cried, frustrated. “I don’t get it.”

“There’s only one way to find out, you know,” I said, chewing my lip. He looked at me, eyes full of curiosity.

“You have to call her.”

He yelled out the window, frightening passer-bys.

“Fine!” He groaned. “I’ll call her after I drop you home.”

I nodded quickly. I was very surprised that he agreed that easily. He obviously didn’t see calling someone, initiating conversation, as a sign of weakness. He was not worried about bothering her, the universal thing that all girls felt when beginning a conversation with a boy. He didn’t care that she might tell him an answer he didn’t want to hear.

I asked myself why, and I came up with the answer that guys just didn’t overthink things like girls didHe was thinking of something – I could tell by his silence – but it was not what I would be thinking if I were him. Our minds were the same yet very, very different.

The ride home was silent. I thanked him, told him to tell me how the talk went, and got off the car.

I had nothing to do for the rest of the day. I cleaned a bit, read and took a shower. I had a sense of anticipation inside me, but I didn’t know what for. Part of it was for Chansik’s call or text, telling me how his confrontation went. The other part I just pushed down and ignore as best as I could.

Was it because Woohyun was taken? By someone that was friendly, and I knew? Hyeri? This made him not available and thus saving me from further heartbreak. But I refused to think of this. I pushed it deep down in my bank of thoughts.

An incessant beeping annoyed me, making me get up from my bed to answer it.

It was a miss call from Chansik – I quickly pressed the recall button but a text arrived before the dial tone started.

Talk went fine~!! Everything is okay between us now thank godㅠㅠㅠㅠ meeting for lunch to sort it all out tomorrow

I smiled, happy for him. His risk paid off, and he was now on the way to make amends.

Another ding.

hana ah... calling someone and talking about it is not that scary~ you should try it... the only way this whole thing is going to be fixed, for better or worse, is if you talk about it!!  don’t keep moping all day hana banana its not good for your health ㅋㅋㅋㅋ