Chapter 6

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

It had been a whole week since that thing happened at the club. Everything was a terrible misunderstanding, but I guess from Woohyun's point of view, I knew how it looked. I blew him off many times to work on our physics project, and I knew that it looked suspicious to him but I had no reason to lie, and he could even check with my professor if he wanted to. Also, that day Chan had come to rescue me from the cafe probably looked a bit suspicious in Woohyun's eyes. That day we were at the library, and Chansik answered my phone for me. That night Chansik and I came to the club together. That night I held onto his wrist while he leaned in close to me to shout something in my ear as the music was pounding in our chests.

I knew what it looked like to Woohyun, yet, I didn't really care. Was that bigoted of me? I didn't care what he thought, because it wasn't true. And I wasn't going to apologise to him when he still owed me an apology for ignoring him at the cafe. I wasn't even doing anything wrong, yet Woohyun totally overreacted in the club and blew things way out of proportion. He was being annoyingly melodramatic by slamming his glass down and storming off.

I never really noticed how much of a child he was, but here it was, in crystal clear black and white. He was a child that wanted his own way all the time, who expected everyone to apologise to him, and he was right while all others were wrong. I found this really frustrating, especially in light of what happened.

I only really felt the need to explain myself to one person, and that was Hanbyul.

"Hana," she called me up one night after a busy week on campus. "Kim Hana, what is going on?"

"Byul, you know I would never cheat on anyone!! Not Woohyun...." The name felt foreign on my lips.

"I know," she sighed. "But last week, when you came with him - well, things looked awfully suspicious, and things kinda made sense, with the whole "project" thing, and whatnot....."

"Byul!" I protested. "You know that physics project was worth a lot of our final mark. No way am I going to forced to choose between Woohyun and schoolwork, because he shouldn't have to make me choose!!"

"I know," she sighed again. "But Hana, he's really hot. Hotter than Woohyun, I think!" She giggled.

I sighed. "He is a bit," I admitted. "And he has a really nice body."

"Excuse me! Why are you looking at his body when you have a boyfriend? In the football team, I daresay?!"

"Byul, I know I'm taken, but I'm not DEAD'n I accidentally walked in on him when he had no shirt on. And I went all red," I cried. "Why!? Why am I so embarrassing!"

She chuckled. "Hry, you should introduce us one day! We never got to really meet when you guys came cos Sunggyu and Hoya were relying on Woohyun for a lift home, so we all left."

"Oh my God!" I gasped. "Does Sunggyu hate me too?"

"Don't be silly," Hanbyul scolded me. "He doesn't hate you, but....." She trailed off.

"But what," I asked fearfully. "What, Byul?!"

She sighed. "He made me promise not to tell you, but whatever. He said that Woohyun has been getting really close to that Minji girl from the cafe. And they have no "physics project" equivalent excuse."

I didn't know what to say.

"Hana, hello?" she asked.

"Yes, sorry, I'm here," I said shakily. "Byul, what should I do!" I wailed miserably. "She's got her sights set on him, that evil noona! And Woohyun is so dumb he can't even see it! I can't believe that he can accuse me of cheating a chuck a tantrum in the club when he's been getting more cosy than me to Minji! You know, Byul, I haven't had a proper conversation with him in three weeks."

We were both silent for a second as we thought.

"Hey," Byul said mischievously. "I heard there's a meeting for the football team and cheerleading team at the campus cafe today." She paused. "Wanna go spy on them, just like old times?"

"You mean like that time in tenth grade where we followed your brother's friend when he was shopping with his sister? Who ended up being his girlfriend?" I cackled evilly.

"You remember?!" Byul gasped. "I thought you'd - I - well, er, nevermind. Yes, that! Meet at the mall in ten?"

"You bet," I said, scrambling up from my bed to get dressed. "Dress covertly, Byul. We don't wanna ruin it like last time."

She winced and hung up. We had followed her lover boy, her brother's friend, while he was out shopping with "sister," who looked a lot like him but turns out was actually his fiancé, while we were fifteen. Hanbyul couldn't stop giggling and screaming at everything that he did, and eventually he saw us when he followed him into a health shop, which we would never to go willingly, and recognised her. Hanbyul claimed he never came over to their house ever again. I still liked to about it.

"I'm scared," I announced as we chose a seat in the booth behind the long table of footballers, cheerleaders and coaches alike that were beginning to come through the door. "Don't wave, Byul, are you dumb?!"

I quickly snatched her hand down to stop her from waving to Sunggyu as he walked in. Unless he recognised Byul's shoes, there was no way anyone could know who we were. I had put on a fake moustache and tucked all my hair under a baseball hat and wore big black sunnies while Hanbyul had on a blonde wig that she stole from her brother - God knows why he had one - and wore an abysmal amount of makeup to hide her features. So unless one of us had another mental breakdown like Byul in the health shop, I'd say that we were pretty safe.

"Shh, they're coming," I whispered, even thought neither of us were talking. "Oh my God, Byul, I can't, I - "

I squeezed my eyes shut. I was perfectly aware that they could see me although I couldn't see them, but it didn't matter. I wanted to get out before I saw Woohyun and that girl.

"Byul, ow. you're hurting my hand," I hissed under my breath with my eyes still closed. She was gripping my hand awfully hard, and her nails were digging into my skin.

"Don't look, Hana, whatever you do. Just keep your eyes closed. You don't want to see this."

But of course I did - if she said it like that, of course I had to look. My eyes flew open and my heart plunged down my chest. Woohyun and Minji walked into the cafe last, trailing behind their peers, smiling and whispering into each other's ears. She had her arm slung inside his, and he was looking at her with the utmost loving, tender eyes I had ever seen on his face. Not with me, not with his mother, not with Boohyun.

"Byul, we're going," I announced, getting up from my seat. I did not want to stay a second longer to put myself through anymore pain.

"No," she hissed, pulling me down by the arm. "If we leave now, it's too obvious. Let's order a drink and try act....normal." She beckoned the waiter over and spoke to her in a higher voice to disguise her own. I snorted at this.

Woohyun and Minji chose the seat closest to us although they couldn't see us; their backs faced our booth and luckily there was no mirror to reflect us, so they could see our snooping.

"Why do you even go out with her?" Minji cooed into his ear. My hand gripped tighter around the glass of aloe juice I was holding. They were talking about me.

"Honestly?" He paused, voice bitter. My heart was in my throat, anticipating his answer. "I don't know."

It took every ounce of my human strength to not breakdown and cry. Blood was pounding in my ears, my heartbeat was faster than the speed of light and my legs felt like they were jelly. In my throat was a huge lump that would not go away.

Right now, Woohyun was not my favourite person either. But never, in a million years, would I have said that. Even though I knew the other person wasn't listening.

"Who is that guy you're telling me about, anyway?"

My hand clenched under the table. They were talking about Chansik.

"He's her "physics project partner."" Woohyun replied. His voice was dripping with sarcasm.

"Yeah, right," Minji laughed. She threw her head back and let out a gasp of air. She looked like a hyena. "They're probably doing dirty while they study."

I couldn't care less about what she said about me, because it was miles from the truth. Woohyun knew that, too. I had never done it before. We had talked about this. That's why I was so shocked when I heard what came out of his mouth next.

"I think so, too. She changed after meeting him." He shrugged as if it was the most nonchalant thing in the world. But it was not.

"I - " I opened my mouth to yell at Woohyun but it was muffled by a gloved hand.

"Please," Hanbyul whispered, not daring to say my name given our close proximity. "Don't. He's not worth it. Let's go."

She pulled my arm once more and tugged me out of the seat. Luckily she had her arm around me, or I would not be able to stand at all. My legs were like jelly beneath me.