Chapter 32

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

Woohyun POV

“I’m dying,” I said to no one in particular. I was lying on the patch of grass I had taken Hana for a secret picnic that time. It felt like ages ago, but it was only last month.

I needed to go somewhere to sort out my thoughts. It had only been a week since Hana told me that she didn’t want to be together with me anymore because it was too soon. But it felt like ages.

I had so much to say to her, but I didn’t know how to tell her or how to say it.

I closed my eyes and put my forearm over my arms to block out the sun. I could hear the gentle rippling of a stream of water in the background and some birds were chirping harmoniously above me in the trees. It was the perfect spot to think, but my mind just went blank.

I felt comfortable, like I was half-asleep and half-awake. 

I was sick of analysing everything. All I wanted to do was to reminisce and think of all the times Hana and I shared over the past two years. You get to this point where thinking is too much, and you just want to feel.

I thought of the first time I spoke to Hana. It was online, in that chat room. I guess I had to be eternally grateful to it for allowing me to meet the most perfect and beautiful girl I knew. She exuded this cheerful, caring personality that I was so lacking in my life. My ex-girlfriend, Chaeyeon was the polar opposite to her. She was like a refreshing burst of life – the best thing so far in my life.

I thought of how we got closer. We shared so many things in common. I could talk to her about anything. I had been wired, raised, to place priority on first impressions, and when meeting new people, this was often how they looked. But with Hana, I couldn’t see how she looked. My first impression of her was from her words. And, when we met in real life, it took me a long time to come to terms with that. She was conflicting the way I had been brought up and the way I knew her.

I thought of how she helped me through everything that happened with my brother. She didn’t need to do anything or say anything, but the fact that she was there for me, always by my side and looking at me with such care that I knew I could get through it.

I thought of how we shared the most difficult times of our lives together – senior year. We struggled through exams, tests and assignments with each other’s support and encouragement.

I thought of the first time I kissed her, and how happy that made me feel. It was cliché, but there were fireworks and everything going off inside me. I felt like the luckiest, happiest man in the world because I had found someone that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

I thought of how I screwed things up as soon as university started. I knew it would be a challenge because we were attending different universities, but we promised to make it work. I went and screwed everything up by choosing football over her, and then breaking up with her, and then going out with Minji due to peer pressure.

Everything was my fault, and honestly, I didn’t deserve to have her again because I would and could just hurt her again. But it just hurt because I knew nothing could ever compare it her.

 

I felt something shaking me gently, and I sat up quickly. I realised that I had fell asleep lying on the soft grass and with birds in the background.

I rubbed my eyes and cleared my throat. How long had I been asleep?

I looked around to see who had woken me up. I didn’t see anyone, but I heard a voice that made my heart flop talking somewhere off in the background talking on the phone.

“Sunggyu, yeah, I found him,” Hana was saying in a hushed voice, her back to me. “Yeah, he just fell asleep. Where are we? Um, I’m not really sure. But I’ll get him to practice, don’t worry. Okay, 5 o’clock. I got it, bye.”

She hung up and turned around. She saw me looking up at her and froze, her eyes widening.

“Woohyun, you fell asleep, and Sunggyu called me and he called everyone because he thought you had run away from home, but then your car was still in your driveway, and so he knew that you hadn’t run away, but maybe you had walked away or caught the bus, or caught a taxi to the airport, but also he saw your phone was at home, and you wouldn’t run away without your phone, so we knew you were still here, but we didn’t know where because, obviously, you didn’t have you phone so I looked around and – “

She broke off when I couldn’t hold in my laughter anymore. She was babbling and talking so fast I didn’t catch one word of what she was saying.

“Hana, how long have I been missing for?” I laughed. She crossed her arms and sat down next to me, keeping a safe distance, scrunching up her nose.

“Since you didn’t show for your sports science lecture with Sunggyu this morning! And when you didn’t show to pre-football training!” She said with a scowl.

I winced. “I’ve been asleep for six hours? Damn,” I whispered. “Sorry for making you worried,” I said.

She exhaled deeply and took my hand and squeezed it. “It’s okay,” she smiled. “Let’s go to practice now!”

She stood up and extended her hand to pull me up. With slight difficulty she hoisted me up, and I accidently leant in too close when she pulled her hand up.

“Oops, sorry,” I apologized, going red. We were less than three centimeters apart, but I took a step back quickly.

I was going to wait for her to come to terms with herself and everything she was dealing with. I was going to wait for to be okay with us. I wouldn't force anything that she didn't want. After everything I had done, I think it was the least I could do - wait for her. 

“How did you know I was there?” I asked, breaking the silence as we walked toward the oval of my campus.

She turned and smiled at me. Hana was happy today, and that made me feel happy. “I remember when you took me to that picnic ages ago. You told me that you liked to go there to think.”

“But, Hana…I blindfolded you! How did you know!”

She smiled again. Damn, I cursed. “I retraced my steps! And I kind of had an idea, anyway.” 

I opened my mouth to say something. Something along the lines of, Hana I’m going to make everything I have screwed up to you.

But we reached the oval already. I saw my teammates doing their warm up stretches and I quickly waved to Hana as I saw Sunggyu jog toward us frantically. I knew he would scold me, and I didn’t want to be scolded in front of Hana.

“Okay, hyung! Before you say anything, I’m really sorry, I lost track of time, I’ve got a lot on my mind lately.” I tried to speak before he started unleashing his leader terror on me, put he cut me off too.

“I knew she would know where to find you,” he said to me under his breath. I looked behind to see that Hana had stuck around, waiting a few metres behind. “Woohyun, please, don’t screw it up this time. Don’t be stupid, okay?” He punched me in the arm and slapped my back before running back.

“Training starts in ten minutes,” he yelled as he was jogging back. “Don’t be late! Ten minutes is plenty of time to say what you want.”

I cringed and ducked my head. What the hell, Sunggyu!

I turned and smiled sheepishly at Hana. “Sorry, um, he was just, you know – “

“Do you have something to say?” She asked innocently, pursing her lips.

This is it, I thought to myself. You’ll never get another chance like this.

I reached forward and grabbed her hands that were hanging by her sides.

“Hana,” I exhaled. “Please.”

She laughed, throwing her head back, breaking the tension. “Please, what, Woohyun?”

I looked square into her eyes. My heart was hammering like mad, and I felt very hot all of a sudden.

Her eyes trailed down my face. I’m pretty sure they were rested on my lips, but I didn’t dare to move.

“Woohyun…I can’t do this anymore,” she said. Before I had time to freak out, she continued. “I miss you so much.” Her eyes tore away from my lips back onto my eyes. “But – but, I can’t do it if I’m just going to keep getting hurt.”

“I – “ I began.

“No, let me finish,” she sniffled. Please don’t cry, I begged. “I hate how I’m the one always getting hurt. I hate how I’m the one who you have to explain, who you have to make excuses for. And, well, if you don’t want this anymore, then just tell me so I can try and get over you. Because it’s going to take me a while, okay? Just give my heart some notice, so I can tell it to stop being so stupid and naïve, but even then, will it listen to me? Probably not, because it never does, even when – “

I silenced her by kissing her on the lips. She tensed and then relaxed. 

“Stop babbling,” I murmured against her. “Just shut up and kiss me.”

I pulled her in close and treasured every detail. I remember how her body fit so well against mine. I remembered how soft her hair felt and how she was the perfect height that I only slightly had to bend my knees.

It took me a while to realize what was happening.

“Hana, are you being serious right now? You forgive me?” I gasped. I was about to burst from happiness. 

She nodded wordlessly. I smiled so wide that I thought I would break my face and picked her up and spun her around and around.

“I’m going to spent the rest of my life making it up to you, I promise you that, Kim Hana. I missed you so much, I was dying,” I yelled out to the night.

I exhaled and said it over and over again in my head. She forgave me. 

There was a very happy Nam Woohyun tonight.

I heard some cheers behind me and I s my arm around her waist and turned around. Everyone on my football team was there, clapping and yelling, including my coach. I nodded my head in acknowledgement.

My face turned bright red and told them to all piss off.

I was so happy. Everything was falling into place. I was slowly winning Hana back. The football team was in great form, and if we kept it up, a sure contender for the championships. Chansik and Hyeri were going well. Minji had found another footballer to harass, and best of all, she was leaving Hana and I alone.

I didn’t want to get my hopes up. But I felt like I was living in a fairytale because I had everything I loved around me. It’s really cliché, I know, I’m sorry. But they don’t call me Nam Grease for nothing!

___________________________

I hope you liked this story! I had a lot of fun writing it! I'm so sorry for the late updates and erratic scheduling I really tried my best >_< Thankyou so much for reading it!

If you guys like exo, I'm starting a new story featuring Luhan! Here's the link - http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/555157
I
 hope you guys anticipate and give it lots of love!

Once again, thankyou so much for reading~