Chapter 1

Change (A Sequel to "Cinderella Story")

I clutched my books to my chest nervously as I stepped into the lecture hall. Today was my first day at university - excluding orientation yesterday - and my first proper class. I was extremely nervous. Would I make any friends in this class? Would the workload be a lot? Would this course be difficult? Would my lecturer be strict? Was he a good lecturer, or one who simply neglected his students? Where should I sit? At the back or the front? I knew the connotations of students who sat near the back and near the front, so I decided to sit somewhere in the middle.

"Welcome everyone to Physics unit 210A. I hope we will work hard together this year and achieve great results! My name is Professor Choi Kangjun and I will be your lecturer this year. Now, we will begin the year will a new project that you must complete in partners...."

My mind trailed off. I didn't know that, in university, we had to do partner projects. Not that I was complaining, except I really hoped my partner wasn't someone who slacked off and made me do all the work. Nor someone who was extremely opinionated and wanted their way with everything.

"Kang Chansik, you'll be paired with Kim Hana."

I sat up in my seat when I heard my name. Who on earth was Kang Chansik? I looked around, but all students were as confused as I was -we didn't know who was who.

"Sir?" Somebody in the front spoke up. "Should we do self introductions for the class? I'm not sure who my partner is."

Our lecturer chuckled. "Of course not. You can find them yourselves after class." He waved it off nonchalantly. "Now, here are your objectives, syllabus and teaching program for this semester. And also, on the blue paper, I printed off the task that you must complete with your partner. It is worth 50% of your unit this semester." Many around the room caught breaths in their throat. "And yes, it must be completed by this time next month." Another groan echoed through the room. "Kids, welcome to university! Now take out paper and write something down while I show you this PowerPoint."

The class dragged on. I wrote down notes from the slides, but not actually processing what I was writing. I was also struggling to remember who my partner was. Shin Changsun, right? That was his name? It sounded about right, I guess. I always had this knack of telling myself to remember something  but forgetting it the next minute.

"See you next week, kids. I put my email in the task sheet so feel free to send me any questions or feedback you have. Work hard. 50%," he reminded us as we stormed out.

As I left the room I heard and felt my stomach grumble. I clutched it, embarrassed, and quickly pulled out my map in search of a food court. Luckily, there was one right next to the lecture halls.

woohyun-shii!!! how's your first day of university? :-)

I got my food - hamburger and fries from McDonalds - and sat down, smiling like  weirdo into my phone.

ah it's ok!!! wishing I didn't do a double major right about now, my class schedule is so hectic >< what about you hana-shii!!!! I miss you a lot T-T

Just as I was about to reply, I saw some hands pull out the chair opposite me and a person sit down.

"Hi," he said a little breathlessly. "Can I sit here? You're in my physics class right? I think you sit in front of me? Do you know who your partner is?"

I looked up at him. He had black hair with brown tints; his fringe was long, but short enough that it didn't sit on his eyes, but lay nicely on his forehead. He had medium sized eyes that crinkled at the edges and I could tell turned into small crescents when he smiled. His teeth were straight and white and easily curved into a smile. I saw a built jawline that looked very masculine and square, and beneath his baseball shirt I could see he was well built - not too muscly nor skinny. I swallowed. He was, in short, very handsome.

"Um, hello?" He waves his hands awkwardly infront of my face. "I can sit somewhere else if you want?"

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Sorry, no it's okay, no one is sitting here. Do you have Professor Choi for physics? Just then?"

He nodded. "Yep! I was so surprised when he announced that partner thing. I thought partner projects were so high school! And 50% of our grade too." He sighed and poked aimlessly at his chicken rice. "I hope my partner is good."

He looked at me, waiting for me to reply. I was a little irked because I just wanted to text Woohyun, but here was this guy, sitting randomly at my table, yakking on and on about everything and anything.

"I don't know who my partner is," I replied sheepishly. "I, uh, can't remember their name. Shin Chanyeol or something."

"Oh. That's not me, I'm sorry. Do you know who -" he squinted at his hand, on which he jotted a name. "Kim Hana is?"

I nearly choked on my burger. He looked at me strangely while I tried to swallow the food in my mouth.
"That-that's me," I said finally, wiping my mouth.

"Wow, really? But I'm not Shin Chanyeol?"

I shrugged. "I said I couldn't really remember your name. Sorry," I smiled apologetically. "So....I guess we're partners?"