Promise Me

Never Question

-Kim Eun Mi-

Eun Mi, call me please. – Mung Ri

I glared at my phone screen as I opened the fifth text message within the last hour. At first Mung Ri didn’t think I meant it when I said not to call me until he could change his attitude, but after a whole day of me ignoring him, he seemed to be feeling a bit lonely. He had been calling and texting me nonstop, and I was about ready to throw my cell phone against the wall.

“What’s with the grumpy look today?” Chunji asked walking up to me with 2 cups of hot chocolate in his hands.

“I’m about ready to snap my phone in half.” I replied taking the cup in my freezing hands. Today was a chilly day, the sun hidden behind a blanket of pure white fluffy clouds.

“And why is that?” he took a sip of his drink and looked over at me.

BUZZ

I smirked at Mung Ri’s impeccable timing even when he wasn’t actually here.

Please Eun Mi, I’m going crazy! Just talk to me please L- Mung Ri

“Aish! Seriously get the hint already!” I slammed my phone down on the hard bench, hands balled into fists.

“Whoa, calm down Eunnie.” Chunji laughed lightly.

“I can’t calm down! He’s going crazy? He makes ME crazy!”

“Ah, so its about Mung Ri.” Chunji glanced away. I couldn’t see his face, so I didn’t know what he was thinking.

“You ever going to tell me what happened between you two? You’ve ignored him at school for the past two days.”

I bit my lip. I hadn’t told Chunji about my fight with Mung Ri. Mainly because I didn’t know why I got so angry. I realized I was probably over reacting, but I was just too sick of this situation. Chunji came first in my life and that alone was a good enough reason to fight.

I snuggled up next to him and laid my head on his shoulder.

“Don’t worry about it Chunji.” I replied in my cutest voice, smiling brightly.

Chunji laughed.

“Eun Mi, telling me not to worry about you is like telling me not to breathe. It can’t be done.” He laid his head on top of mine. “Please, just tell me what happened. You can trust me with anything remember?”

I sighed deeply. I could see it hurt him that I wasn’t telling him what happened. But how did I explain that my blood boiled every time Mung Ri insulted Chunji?

“I can’t explain why it happened, I just know it did.” I started, lifting my head and looking up at the sky. I could feel him looking at me intently.

“I was sitting in the classroom during the meeting, and Mung Ri was getting on my nerves. I don’t know why but every little thing he did annoyed me. He took my phone while I was texting you, and when I managed to get the meeting to end, he tried dragging me outside. I’m not exactly sure how but we started arguing about you, and I finally just snapped and told him he needed to stop acting like a jealous boyfriend because if it came down to choosing between you and him,” I paused momentarily, “You would always win.”

Chunji looked at me slightly surprised. I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Don’t look so surprised, you’ve always been the most important person in my life.”

Chunji smiled.

“I know that. You’ve just never said it so directly before. How did Mung Ri react?”

“Well…he wasn’t happy. At that point I was so mad though I didn’t care. I walked away and told him not to call me until he changed.”

“Okay, now why are you ignoring him then?”

“Because he doesn’t seem to understand that I’m serious!” I yelled angrily. “He thinks I’m just kidding. But I’m tired of having this fight with him. I’m tired of having fights with you. Something has to change Chunji, and I’m not backing down this time.”

He was silent. I didn’t know what he was thinking.

“I think more than one thing should change.” He spoke quietly looking out at the garden in front of us.

I contemplated this.

“Like what?”

“Like the way me and you talk about these things. Like the amount of time you dedicate to certain people—me included. Like the things you do for yourself and the amount of things you do for others.”

“Stop speaking in code, it’s me. Just say it straight out, you know I hate vague answers.”

“Right.” He grinned. “I mean you need to spend more time with friends, and less time with only one person. You should also talk to me whenever you’re upset not wait until I lose all patience with you. That’s how fights start.” He nudged me with his elbow playfully. “And start doing things for yourself. I know you love helping other people, but sometimes you have to take care of yourself first, no matter who disagrees with you.”

“Oh.”

“What?”

“I just…I’m not good at doing those things.” I laughed lightly. “I don’t put myself first ever, and I can’t help being selective about who I want to spend time with.”

“Well you can try.”

“True. I hope you’re not asking me to stop spending so much time with you. Or wait, was that a hint?!” my eyes widened. “You don’t want me around anymore?!”

Chunji gave me a blank stare. Then he started laughing.

“Eunnie, don’t be so dramatic. Do you really think I would deprive you of this hotness?” he winked at me.

“Ya, calm down.” I laughed.

“I’m just kidding. But seriously, when was the last time you hung out with Teen Top? And with you’re 2 other friends, Elena and Nyssa?”

Elena and Nyssa were the only other 2 girls I actually got along with. They were more like me. We thought like men.

“I…don’t remember.” I confessed honestly. Chunji gave me his ‘exactly’ look. “Aish, alright, I get it, I get it.” I gave in, not believing how it was possible I couldn’t remember hanging out with friends.

“When was the last time we talked this long about something important without fighting.” I asked him this time.

“A while.” He laughed quietly. He looked over at me and smiled. “It feels good doesn’t it?”

“It feels normal again. I don’t even understand what happened. Why did things change between us all of a sudden?”

Chunji glanced away.

“Because of Mung Ri.” He answered quietly.

“But, why? I don’t get it Chunji, its not like I dropped you and went to him. I did my best to keep things the same between us. But slowly we started avoiding certain topics and then we started fighting.” I bit my lip. I wasn’t used to being so blunt.

“I..I know. It wasn’t you’re fault Eun Mi. I just don’t like him around you. Don’t ask me to explain because I can’t. All I know is he makes me worried about you more than I used to be. I feel like he’s going to hurt you. More than he has already.”

I pondered his words. True, Mung Ri had hurt me. I wasn’t myself anymore. But from what I saw Mung Ri did anything he could for me. I couldn’t imagine how he could hurt me in a big way.

“Okay, I guess I can understand that. But why did we stop being able to tell each other this?”

“I don’t know.” He answered. I felt like he was hiding something from me.

“Chunji, what aren’t you telling me?”

“Nothing Eun Mi. I’m being honest here.” He wasn’t making eye contact with me.

“There’s something there.”

“Eunnie there’s not.”

I pouted and crossed my arms. He saw my face and laughed.

“You are way too damn adorable.” He smiled. I blushed. Were those butterflies in my stomach again?

“There’s nothing.” He swore.

I glared at him.

“Alright. Then promise me something.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“No more secrets. Ever. Not between us. No matter how awkward, annoying, or mean they are, we have to tell each other everything. You’re the one person on this planet that I trust the most Chunji. We have to promise to tell each other everything without avoiding topics and without getting too angry.”

He looked me directly in the eyes.

“I promise you. You’re my world. I’d do anything to make sure I never lose you.”

His eyes held nothing but sincerity, although his face blushed bright red as the words cam out of his mouth. My heart raced hearing say this.

Why is my heart racing again?

“Thank you.” I smiled brightly and hugged him tightly. He hugged my waist tighter.

“You’re welcome Eunnie.” He whispered.

There go the butterflies again…

 

 

*****

From the trees behind them, someone watched carefully. Seeing the way they held each other, how they talked and laughed together, the person clenched their jaw and made a fist with both hands. Something had to be done.

 


Author's Note: Hello everyone~ Sorry I didn't update in a while, school kept me super busy. I have the next few chapter nearly done though so fear not! Enjoy this one in the meantime :) Please leave comments and say what you think, I love reading your comments <3