4 Letter Word

Never Question

 

 

-Universal-

 

“I can’t believe how much you eat.” Chunji stared at Eun Mi wide eyed.

“What? You’ve known me most of my life and me eating a double order surprises you?” She raised an eyebrow as she looked back at him.

“I’ve seen it, and yet I can’t understand how…” he shook his head.

“Whatevuh.” She mumbled stuffing more food in .

“SO unladylike Kim Eun Mi!” A high pitched shrill sounded near the pair. Both looked up trying to find the source of this pterodactyl sounding noise.

“Chunji, why do you insist on being friends with this girl?” A tall brunette asked blinking her eyes as she glared down at Eun Mi.

“What up Sang Ae?” Eun Mi replied after momentarily meeting the girls gaze. She had gone back to the glorious feast before her.

“Yah! Look at me when I’m talking to you!” Sang Ae reached for Eun Mi.

In a flurry of motion, Chunji jumped out of his seat, grabbed Sang Ae’s hand and turned her away from Eun Mi. Eun Mi looked up and blinked.

“What?...”

“Don’t touch Eun Mi, Sang Ae, please.” We’re busy right now, so is there something we can help you with?”

The bluntness in his voice made Sang Ae flinch and Eun Mi laugh.

“Chunji, don’t play like that in public, it’s not nice~” she sang.

Chunji released his grip and sighed.

“I’m going to go back to eating with Eun Mi Sang Ae. See you later.”

With that he sat down and tried his best to ignore Sang Ae.

“Fine~ See you later oppa~” she attempted to say cutely and strutted off.

Eun Mi face palmed.

“Jeez Chunji, you attract the WORST girls. What isn’t there a decent girl who can go for you instead of the Sang Ae and wannbe crew?”

He looked at Eun Mi.

“Apparently not.” He mumbled quietly, more to himself than to Eun Mi. He was talking about her after all.

“Such a weirdo Chunji.” She stuck her tongue out at him.

“Yah! Eat instead!” He placed food in with his chopsticks forcing her to c=shut up and eat.

Eun Mi smiled and chewed obediently.

“So…what happened with Mung Ri?” Chunji asked hesitantly.

“MMMMMMMMMM” Eun Mi mumbled and stuffed more food in .

“Eun Mi come on.”

“MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM”

“Eun-“

“MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM”

“E-“

“MMMMMMMMMMM”

“EUN MI!”

Chunji took the chopsticks from her and pulled away her plate.

Eun Mi swallowed and looked at him.

“Okay, okay. I um…talked to him?” she reached for her soda.

“And?” Chunji skillfully swiped away the soda before she could get it. He panicked a little at the amount of hope that came out in his voice. He hadn’t meant for that.

“I…” she sighed. “I forgave him.”

“You…” Chunji wavered between angry and sad for a moment, trying not to let his hearts true desire show on his face as he locked eyes with her.

“Mm.” She nodded. “Truthfully, I miss someone being around all the time. I miss Mung Ri, and some things have to be fixed over time. Relationships are supposed to be about fighting for who you love right? He came and fought for me so he at least deserves another chance.”

There it was again. That stupid 4 letter word.

LOVE

“What…what about me?” Chunji asked.

Eun Mi’s eyes rounded.

“You?...”

“I’m always there for you Eunnie.”

“Oh!” Eun Mi replied. For a moment she had though Chunji meant he loved her.

Where the heck would that even come from Eun Mi? Wow…

“I know Chunji.” She smiled and reached for his hand as she did her best to recover from that moment of panic. “But I can’t ask you to be with me forever anymore.”

Chunji looked away from their intertwined hand and up at her in surprise.

But I want to be there forever…

“Eun Mi-“

“Chunji, don’t. I can’t do it. Not with you.”

Chunji’s eyes saddened as he glanced back down at their hands.

“Yah,” she lifted his head with her finger, smiling lightly. “It’s because you mean so much to me. Don’t misunderstand.”

“That makes no sense.” He shook his head.

“It will.” She smiled and intertwined their other hand as well. “Come on, time to go home Chunji.” She pulled him up and walked backward the way they used to when they were young kids, when everything made sense.