Nothing

Just Remember

 

It's been about 2 months since these boys moved in with you. And it's been 2 months of practice. Your dad was coming for dinner with some of the other CEOs of entertainment industries and he was going to bring you too. He had hope for you and EXO. A rush of achievement and relief passed through you. Finally, something to feel proud of.

 

"I'll be back before 11 so just keep on doing vocal chromatic scales" You told them as you slipped on your white jacket.

 

"Have fun" Chanyeol hollered.

"Wait!" Sehun shouted from upstairs.

"What?" And Sehun came running down from the third floor.

He gently embraced you and whispered "Be careful"

I flashed him a smile and left the house to see my dad waiting by a new car.

 

"New car?"

"Naw. It's the one that I left in Japan for a year" He had cars almost everywhere he travelled.

 

15 minutes in the car was all it took for you to know the dinner was going to be about you having the whole third floor of the SM building to yourself and EXO. He had a feeling they were going to be the neat hit group. You looked to the side mirror to see some smoke from the back.

"Dad, there smoke coming out from the back of the car" You made sure you didn't sound so worried.

 

"I think it's just because it’s been a while since I've drove this one" The wrinkles on his face showed off how much he worked. His white hairs showed off how tired he was.

You finally reached the restaurant and entered as you saw a huge table of 15 and 2 empty seats.

"Hey!" You saw a middle aged woman yelled.

"Hi Sandy, this is my daughter

HyeMi" My dad was announcing this to everyone.

 

It felt nice to have some acknowledgement. You took and seat and all eyes were glued onto you.

"So, how is your project?" Sandy asked.

Project? You took a while to figure out she was talking about EXO.

"Oh. They're good so far. Very hardworking" You sounded like a real professional.

You were talking to the YG CEO about creating the perfect choreography when you dad interrupted the conversation with him bold voice.

 

"Jay, can you check my car for a second? I saw some smoke coming from the back" With a nod, my dad and two other managers left.

"Can I wear your jacket JiYoung? I forgot mine" You dad looked so much older from this angle. You noticed he was only wearing a light windbreaker.

"Anytime" And finished with a smile.

 

When your dad left, the conversations stopped. All the other adults seem to be giving you cold, judging stares. Except for Jiyeon, a manager in training.

 

"Wow, you're really incredible to be training a group at such a young age" Her eyes were filled with excitement.

You estimated she was about 2 years older than you. As you saw her pretty features, you noticed the awkward mood of the other adults. Just a few moments ago, they were chatting happily with you.

Jiyeon seemed to noticed your perplexed expression as she said "They're all like that. When the big shots are here, they pretend to nice and all, but they're really all just thinking you're nothing, but a failing teenager with false imagination"

 

"Oh. So that's why when- " Jiyeon finished off for you, "your dad left they got all weird and quiet"

 

You were in a deep conversation with Jiyeon when there was a loud bang outside. It wasn't a gun shot or earthquake. It was an explosion.  Dad.

You rushed out not even minding the cold blast that practically iced your cheeks. Dad. Dad. Please don't be hurt or anything.

It was the tears that were blocking you from seeing anything. You stopped in the middle of the parking lot and saw blurriness. But when your tears fell, you saw clearly what happened.

Your father laid on the ground wearing your jacket, which was too small for him and now tainted in dark red. Blood. He just laid there lifeless and the 2 other men had disappeared.

 

From your previous CPR lessons for swimming and life guard training, you remembered how to check for pulse. You hesitated, scared to determine the life or death of your father. With two fingers, you placed them on his wrist and checked for the pulse.

 

Nothing. You panicked and placed your two fingers on his neck. Nothing. Your hands were shaking by now and you placed them under his nose. Nothing.

 

No pulse. No heartbeat. No breath. No. This wasn't happening. Your fingers fumbled with unlocking your phone. 911 you dialed. It was like you couldn't speak or something but eventually you mumbled "my dad is dead" and the police said they were on their way.

Your tears hit the screen of your phone and its sensitivity resulted in calling your home phone. Through your sobbing, you couldn't make out who was calling, but they asked "where are you". You answered and you knew whoever it was, they were on their way.

You say there the whole time wondering if this was all a nightmare. Then you heard the sharp police and ambulance sirens. They were loud and hurt your ears, but you continued to look at your dad in dismay. Mom's gone. Dad's gone. What if I'm gone?

Two arms swapped around your waist. You were sitting on the cold cement, hands covering your face with your knees tucked up against your body. He scoped you up from the ground and carried you bridal style. You just let your arms and legs dangle, not minding anyone else see you in this embarrassing state. You head fell back and you felt worthless and useless.

I even need someone to carry me. Useless. Pathetic.

Jiyeon stared at you with eyes of pity. You hated that look.  You let your eyes roll back and close while Chanyeol held you.

“I think it would be better if she didn’t come” Chanyeol’s  deep tone rang in your ears as he told the police.