Voice

Just Remember

 

You furrowed your eyebrows. 
"Chen? Can you come downstairs to prepare lunch for everyone?" You asked innocently.
 
You ran down the stairs and waited for Chen. When he came down, you were sitting on the couch patting to the spot next to you.
 
"Aren't we making lun-" he started. But you cut him off.
 
"Chen, what's wrong?" You asked with concern.
 
"Nothing, I'm great!" He answered.
 
You adjusted yourself and now you were looking deep into Chen's eyes. Something was bothering him. 
 
"Chen. I know something's up" you raised your eyebrows.
 
"I don't feel like I should sing..." And Chen looked to the ground drawing circles on the couch with him finger. 
 
"What are you talking about? You have an amazing voice! When I first heard it, it took my breath away. " you reassuringly stated.
 
"The rest of the guys... They can't sing as high as me. Is that weird?" Chen stuttered.
 
You sighed of relief.
"God Chen, you almost scared me there. All of you have gone through that stage of boyhood. An you are very lucky to still be able to sing high. It a talent you should be proud of, not insecure about"
 
"Ohh really? But... Every time I start to perform in front of people, I feel like I shouldn't be there. I think I have stage fright" Chen added
You held gripped onto his hands and looked straight into his eyes. 
"Everyone gets nerves when they try something different. Trust me, I felt like I shouldn't have been with you guys when you suddenly showed up at my house. But hey look, it's only been 2 days and I feel like I've been training you all for weeks."
He only nodded.
 
"Okay  how about this? I sing the duet with you once right now and I'll tell you my honest comments. I promise" you offered.
He nodded again feeling only a tiny bit more confident.
You rushed back upstairs and grabbed the lyrics. No instrumental today. Just vocals and no accompaniment. The remaining 11 looked at you curiously. You signaled them to come sit at the top of the stairs and to stay silent.
You made sure Chen didn't see them. You sang Colbie Caillat's part and Chen sang Jason Mraz's part.
You counted him in 1,2,3
"Do you hear me,
I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying" 
Then you sang, "Boy I hear you in my dreams
I feel your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard"
 
Your voice collided with his like long lost puzzle pieces "I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh" 
The harmonization filled the room and you smiled once the song was done. Chen had been confidently singing all this time. He expressed his feelings as he closed his eyes. On top of the staircase came a strong applause and wolf howls. 
"Wooow Jiyoung and Chen. You guys sure make a good pairing.." Xiumin started. Chen went red and his ears turned hot. Xiumin continued "for doing a duet" Chen tired to calm down. Everyone had fell in love with the mix of your voice. 
"Chen feels shy when he's performing. He thinks he sounds bad. What do you guys think? Well I think I fell in love with his voice again" you declared. Chen's heart thumped faster and faster.
"I-I can s-sound like t-th-that too y-you know?" Sehun shyly said.
"I'm sure you can Sehunnie" He blushed when you called him that. 
"Well, I think I have the perfect parter for my duet" Luhan cheerfully said. Chen smiled back at him.
 
"Now if you excuse me, I really have to make lunch now" and you stormed into the kitchen, proud of what you did. The bubbly feeling hit you again. You put your hand onto your chest. 'What was that' you thought.
 
Chen's POV
 
-Flashback-
 
Oh my god . I'm actually really nervous, but not so nervous when I sing in front of Jiyoung. She just let off t a sense of comfort. I didn't even notice I started singing. Nervously, I tried tried my best not to shake my voice. Once I heard her voice, I felt like I was in dreamland. Eyes closed and in my own world. That's when the applause started. It honestly scared the out of me. I never knew. It was kind of embarrassing. My face felt really hot and Xiumin's comment made me feel weird. I looked over to see Jiyoung's smiling face and warm eyes. "Perfect pairing .." I beamed. I could feel it. But it all ended when he said "for doing a duet". Those words echoed in my mind and they just wouldn't stop repeating. Were we just the perfect pairing of voice? I don't even know. 
Whatever. Chen focus! 
 
Your POV
"It wouldn't be good for them to eat ramen everyday" you mumbled.
Today you decided to make chicken noodle soup. You thought back to the incident this morning. What's wrong with Kris? He seems perfectly fine now. I'll ask the others later, you thought. You quickly assembled the ingredients and were about to chop up the celery when D.O walked in. 
 
"Would you care for a helping hand?" He asked excited to help. 
 
"You know how to cook?!" And quickly put an arm over his shoulder. He nodded. You two were busy making as much as you could before the others started complaining.
 
Kris's POV
 
I swear. I heard that voice somewhere. Jiyoung's voice seemed so relaxing and comforting. I heard it before an it wasn't at rehearsal. 
 
-Flashback to this morning's nightmare-
 
"Mom, dad! Please don't leave me again. I'll be good. Why are you leaving me?!" I cried and cried. But they wouldn't come back. 
The servant told me to go to bed. My house was just a giant house with ice and bull. It was quiet and lonely. I heard footsteps echo. 
"MOM!" I called out. But there was no reply. I just silently laid in my bed and cried. I heard the door click open. I looked up only to see a blurry figure of beauty. I grabbed onto its wrist and prayed for whoever it was never to leave me again. Then it- no , she started singing. It was a beautiful tune and I let my last year slide town my cheek. She kissed me forehead and left. I felt numb all over my body and mind. I wanted to sit up and grab her. But my body and mind didn't function together. I was tired of crying.
 
- End of flashback- 
It was Jiyoung's voice! But did she really sing to me? Why was she in my dream? Was it even a dream? Thought rushed though my mind. I was so confused. I had to get things straight.