Bias

Just Remember

They ate like they’ve been starving for days. You hadn’t even noticed you didn’t make enough or yourself.

“Hey Jiyoung, why aren’t you eating anything” Kris said in his deep husky voice.

“I guess I forgot to make some for myself”, you chuckled making a pouting face jokingly.

Totally captivated by your aegyo face, they all offered you some of their food. 

“Thanks, but no thanks. I’ve still got to do some finishing touches preparing for your rehearsal” You explained.

Their mouths formed the shape O and nodded understandingly.

“But you still gotta eat something. Say ahh-” Lay said as he held out a fork of pancakes and whipped cream.

As you leaned closer to Lay, you felt all 24 eyes staring directly at you.  You mouth wasn’t big enough so as a result, half of the whipped cream ended up on your nose. You smiled in embarrassment.

“Oppies” You quietly whispered. After you finished chewing, you tried to the cream off your nose with your tongue. And of course, your tongue was not long enough. A playful finger came towards your face wiping all the cream off. Chanyeol put his finger into his mouth.

“Delicious!” He smiled.

On the other corner of the table, you could hear Suho count “1, 2- Thank you for the breakfast Jiyoung!” They all said in unison.

You stared at them all in awe. They were too cute. Oh! They reminded you of something really important: Their introductions and greetings.  You held up your index finger stating that you remembered something. You rushed upstairs going back on to your laptop.

Right, they needed a name, introductions and greetings or whatever you called those.

Slowly, the boys made their way upstairs and found you. This time practice was going to be held at your study room which was like a mini library, but not so mini. There a whiteboard and on it was a picture of Infinite, IU and B1A4. And a T-chart labelled ‘PROS’ on one side and ‘CONS’ on the other.

“Alright guys. Turns out my dad made me quit school. Sort- of. So every day, I am going to be stuck with you guys” You expected moans and complains, but only saw understanding nods.

You started your lesson.

Pointing to Infinite, you said,

“Okay. I’m going to show you three videos of Infinite; One rehearsal performance, one live performance and a fancamed one. You guys have to tell me the pros and cons of them. Sounds good?”

The first video was the rehearsal  of paradise.

Hehe, guess I picked the right one, you thought. They all watched in amazement.

“Oohs and Ahhhs” were heard. You quickly let them see they live performance and fancam.

After about 10 minutes of studying Infinite videos, you asked “What did you guys notice?”

Chanyeol replied “I wish we could have as many fans as them. They have aloooot.”

“Yes they have many fans, but why?” You asked.

Luhan’s hand shot up immediately. “Because they can dance and sing”

“Correct. Actually, if you noticed, they moved as if they were one altogether. Although each person had a different part in the song, they moved simultaneously. They are known as one of the best groups for being synchronized when they dance. . Okay so that’s a pro. How about a con?” You explained.

“Some of them are prettier than others” Sehun added quickly.

“Yes! That’s correct. Not all of them look as good at each other. That happens with every group. It just depends from your perspective. Type A kind of girls might prefer Woohyun but type B girls would choose Myungsoo. But their appearance also lies in the category of cons.” They stared at you with a confused face.

“Because,” you continued “Different people have different biases. The more different people in a group will attract all sorts of different people. Instead of having one group of fans, they would have probably 200 groups of different fans who bias each member. It’s going to be the same with you guys too. Some fans are going to bias one and strongly dislike another. They might not like Kris or Tao but love Luhan and Chen. Or the other way around”

“That not very good” Chen pouted.

“But you still have to carry on with doing what you’re doing. Remember, you guys are a whole. Even if the fans dislike a fraction of you altogether, they like the remaining of you guys. The fans have different perspectives and you all have to respect it. Some might love all of you, but some might not like some of you and you can’t stop that from happening”

They all nodded knowingly. Your words hammered in their mind. Especially, the last sentence “Just remember, the fans will love you for who you are. And so will all of us here” And ‘all of us here’ included you.

Their smiles swallowed up their eyes.

You continued with the lesson.

One specific topic you mentioned was “Have you paid attention to their voices?”

“They all sing with equal emotion and no lip syncing. Their pitch and tune is still right even when they are dancing. That’s a really strong point they have here. Their live performances are their strong point. Their voices don’t really shake when they’re doing their choreography.”

You felt like a teacher and the 12 absorbed up your lectures. After about 2 hours of discussing Infinite, you saved IU and B1A4 for next time. You loved Paradise by Infinite, so as their next challenge, they had to dance and sing to it.

It was almost 1pm.

“Have you guys practiced your duets?” You asked.

“De” They all shouted.

You noticed Chen was looking a bit uncomfortable.