Just Things

Dear Tofu

You and Baekhyun have been awkwardly in the car staring at the projector even though both of you weren’t even paying attention. It’s already been a quarter of the movie as well.

Reaching out for some popcorn to calm your nerves, you noticed your fingers grabbing on skin rather than a sweet snack. Looking at what you grabbed, you gaped your lips.

“Sorry,” you apologized to Baekhyun for you took his hand.

He only chuckled awkwardly and pulled his hand away. “Don’t worry about it,” he said.

Meanwhile Baekhyun just glued his eyes on the movie without putting much thought to what was going on. He was completely distracted by the touch of your hand but was too embarrassed to try to make conversation.

He was only left to think deeply to himself. He brought himself back to the time where you two really did interact.


“Hun! Hun! Let go of my hair!” you screamed at the top of your lungs and began hitting the boy for hurting you so badly.

The boy kissed and pulled harder, “It’s Hyun! Baekhyun! You stupid girl! You’re six and don’t even know how to say my name.”

This was the kind of relationship you and Baekhyun had at a younger age. It was all just bickering and arguments. It probably makes you wonder how the hell could you ever be his biggest crush to this day.

Just how really?

“I can’t say your name! Stop picking on me!” you continued crying out at him and hitting him with all your might.

With all the bullying he brought upon you, no one would ever thought that he liked you. But as much as you dreaded Baekhyun, there were times where you didn’t mind his presences at all. Kids had the tendency to forgive and forget easier than adults. At least, that was how it was for you. The moment he shined a bit of kindness, you would give him a clean slate.

And although it’s messed up, the real reason why Baekhyun would pull her hair so much was to make sure that he is entitled into her life. That she wouldn’t forget him so easily.

But by the time you turned eight, he lost all of your attention. Every ounce. And at this period of time, he couldn’t hurt you anymore; you were already building up on pain from one of your greatest lost: your mother.

For the first few months, you spoke to no one but your father and brother. Every time Baekhyun was over, Chanyeol would tell him that she went to the doctors.

When Chanyeol told him that you stopped going to the doctors, Baekhyun was looking forward to seeing more of you again. Unfortunately, it was a bit too late. The very first day when she returned to school, a boy approached her; a boy that Baekhyun could not ever forget.

“I think you would look pretty smiling,” he said a matter-of-factly.

And at that every moment, you smiled.

It was so easy for him to get her attention. So easy that Baekhyun was irked by it. How could some stranger walk into her life and take it all? Take all of what he had built up in a day.

It was the first time seeing you, and you were smiling for someone else.

He watched you giving him chocolates every year on February 14th. He watched you ignore him every time he was over your house. He watched you forget everything relating to him, relating to everything before your mother’s death.


“Baekhyun… Are you alright?”

All his thoughts were broken when he heard your voice calling his name.

“Hey, are you okay?” you asked again, “The movie is over now. We should go before we get stuck here for another thirty minutes of people cutting each other off.”

“Right,” he spoke softly as he started the car to result her home.


The two of you were awkwardly standing outside your door, since you forgot your keys and Chanyeol was going to be home in about ten minutes to open the door for you.

“How was the movie?” Baekhyun asked you.

You let out a short chuckle and admitted, “Honestly, I didn’t pay attention. I was preoccupied with thoughts.”

He laughed along because that’s exactly what happened to him. “Me too,” he rubbed the back of his neck.

“What did you think about?”

Baekhyun was caught off guard. He never thought you would ask that and he was too nervous to lie.

“Just things.” Wow, I’m so great at avoiding situations. He thought to himself.

“Just things,” you nodded and let out a giggle, trying to put effort into this conversation and also trying to occupy her mind with something other than her friend (or ex-friend?), “I was just thinking of ‘just things’ too.”

“Does just things include Sehun?” he dared to take the opportunity to question it when he was 80% confident that Sehun was her topic in mind.

Your expression instantly fell and immediately Baekhyun was also regretful to ask.

“I’m sorry,” he quickly apologized, “That was stupid to say.”

“No,” you argued, “It’s okay. I just didn’t expect him to see him today… with someone and new hair. We usually go to the movies and drive-ins together. Never thought he would dye his hair either. He always said he never understood why idols dye their hair ridiculous colors when natural was always the best.”

“I see…”

“I’m sorry for making this awkwardly,” you apologized, “I didn’t mean to make this a bad day for you or—“

“It definitely wasn’t a bad day,” he corrected you, “I was afraid you didn’t have a good time.”

“Ah,” you nodded, “Well, let me make it up to you. Let’s grab a bite to eat tomorrow? Lunch? On me. I promise I won’t space out and make this an awesome time.”

Baekhyun’s cheeks were bursting in colors. “D-d-definitely! Yeah, I’m up for it,” he sounded way more excited than how he imagined himself and quickly tried to fix his mistake by giving her a fake reason to why he waned to go, “Yeah, free food is the best food.”

You laughed at his reaction, and right on queue, the door opened. The two of you look at the door then at each other.

Someone was home?

“Chanyeol, you !” you slacked his chest, “You were home!”

“Alright you two love bird, it’s time for overprotective brother to step in. Go inside, Bora,” Chanyeol ignored her hits and comments.

Rolling your eyes, you shoved Chanyeol.

“Night, Baekhyun,” you smiled and then shoved Chanyeol once again as you made your way inside.

Chanyeol had his fist out, waiting for his best friend to fist bump him. Unfortunately for him, Baekhyun left him hanging and slapped his arm instead.

“Wow, I did you a favor!” Chanyeol forged astonishment.

“You’re an ,” Baekhyun smirked, “Love birds, really? And how much did you listen in on?”

“Whatever, dude. I gave you the best and biggest opportunity with my sister. You owe me big time. From now until your wedding day, you should make me lunch.”

“Shut the hell up unless you want an expired egg and cheese sandwich everyday for lunch.”

“Right. You can’t cook for .”

“I hate you,” Baekhyun stared at his best friend blankly.

“No, you don’t,” Chanyeol returned a cheesy smile.


Author's Note: I'm amazingggg! I can't even believe that I updated this fast. Anyway... what you were all waiting for! Hyunra/Baekra's past. You guys are probably wondering, how the hell did she forget Baekhyun so easily?

This chapter hints out a few things, but you'll probably understand more in the future~

LOL, I'm sorry that this fanfic lacked so much Baekra, but they are a really slow progress since Baekhyun is now in fear that he could do something that will push her away from him like how she just left the first time.

How do you guys feel about Baekra o u o? I'm curious~