Night Talks

Dear Tofu

“Bora, is this some sort of joke?” Yoonhee abruptly interjected.

“Did I do something wrong?” you asked slowly. 

Sehun interjected before Yoonhee could go on a continuous tantrum at you, “No, not at all.” Sehun smiled and ruffled your hair so you wouldn’t feel so pressured. “Awesome gift. I can’t wait to go with Yoonhee,” he assured.

You uncomfortably smiled back at him since you noticed how pissed off Yoonhee looked. Actually, you weren’t the only one that felt so awkward about the aura. Everyone was a bit stiff after that moment, but luckily, your brother was there meaning those type of moments don’t really exist when he’s around.

Chanyeol began to spit out jokes and tried to make everyone laugh even when he knew he wasn’t funny, which in a sense kind of made it funny. The mood lightened up, and then after all the gifts were distributed, Chanyeol suggested a game of truth or dare.

“Bora, it’s your turn!” Gayoung smirked, “Truth or dare?”

Sighing, you knew Gayoung really well. She was the persistent type, and once she wanted to know something, she was going to find out.

“Dare,” you answered her.

“I dare you to tell us about Luhan. Where did you see him? How does he look?  Still good? Oh my god, no one has seen him since forever. Bora, details!” she screeched.

Everyone looked interested, well everyone but Yoonhee.

“I just saw him at the airport parking lot. His mom parked in front of my car when I dropped off my dad. He still looks the same,” you tried to hide your smile, “Then, he had to go. It’s been like what a year or two years? Can we just drop this?”

“Yeah, I mean if Bora doesn’t want to talk about this anymore, let’s not,” Sehun added casually, “Anyway, who’s next?”

No one really dared to say anymore after Sehun started talking. Ever since Chanyeol and Baekhyun got to the party, he's been sending off extreme unfriendly vibes around him, even you felt it yet you were thankful since you needed an escape from giving away anymore details.

"I'll pick Jongin," you picked, going on with the game.

Towards the end of the night, everyone was in the living room, pretty much all knocked out. Well, all except for Sehun and Yoonhee. Sehun had thought he was the only one awake until Yoonhee planned some sort of surprise attack on him.

"Boo," she casually peeped and sat down next to him by the kitchen counter, "You were grumpy all night."

"Well, who wouldn't when their crush basically tells them to date another girl," he ran his fingers through his locks, thinking about how disappointing it was to hear those words come out of your mouth.

Yoonhee let out a low chuckle, "Well, my crush basically told me how much of a drag it'd be to take me out through force, even if we were friend." 

Sehun let out a sigh then turned his face towards her, "I'm sorry. I can't help-"

"Feeling sorry for yourself? Being an ? Forgetting how awesome I am?" she finished him sentence.

"I was about to say being helpless," he narrowed his eyes at her, causing her to laugh.

"You know, I can't help but like you even if you like Bora, but I can't understand why an idiot like you got someone like me to like you," she joked, but Sehun remained silent as he saw how playful she was.

"How do you do that?" he asked in amusement.

It interested Yoonhee that Sehun, for the first time, paid real attention to her. It only recreated weight back onto her body. "What?" she took her time to ask in return.

"I don't know. Mess around with me even when you should be hating me right now," he spoke out in a genuine way. Yoonhee gulped. She was practically speechless because she heard her first compliment or rather what she took as a compliment towards her from him. It had her thinking, what would she feel if it was any more than this? She'd probably gone crazy by now.

"It's quite a natural talent," she smirked at him then boldly patted the back of his head, "Come on, let's sleep. We wouldn't want anyone to think we were sneaking away with each other."


For the longest time, you were just laying in the same spot with your eyes closed. You weren't able to sleep after feeling uncomfortable at your own house when things became to become awkward. You didn't feel like things were how they were like back in the past. It's been a while since all five of you guys have been together and there was something that didn't seem right. 

During the middle of the night, when you had thought everyone was asleep, someone left the living room and another quickly followed. By the sound of their voices, it was Sehun and Yoonhee in the kitchen. You stayed put, but you were able to hear them clearly from where you were. 

"Well, who wouldn't when their crush basically tells them to date another girl?"

You froze in place. There were so many things that rush and flowed through your head. Things just made more sense. You can feel your heart racing twenty times faster than it should be. Hearing those words come out of his lips stirred so many emotions. Anxiety. Disappointed. Sorry. And especially angry.

Although, you were more angry at yourself more than anyone. How stupid could you be? 

"You know, I can't help but like you even if you like Bora, but I can't understand why an idiot like you got someone like me to like you."

You felt like you were ruining everything. Just earlier that night, you were talking about Luhan. That probably killed him. As for Yoonhee, she had every right to be angry at you. You were a brick that couldn't figure out your own best friend's feelings. Heck, Jongin even dropped hints.

Turning your body, you were faced towards Jongin, whose eyes were shut and also facing towards you. "You could've told me straight up rather than make me a fool out of myself," you grumbled.

"Where's the fun in that?" he whispered then opened his eyes with a smirk on his face, "Couldn't sleep?"

"How could I? It was so awkward today," you snuggled into your blanket even more and kept eye contact with him, "And you're an ."

Jongin let out a friendly chuckle. "Okay, maybe I deserved that a bit," he admitted, "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out though. You're really smart when it comes to everything around you. I guess, when it comes to yourself, you're stupid."

With that remark being said, you lightly shoved his shoulder. "You're so nice," you said sarcastically then quickly changed from your playful manner, "I wish things were how they were before. I don't want feelings to ruin what we all had."

"Well, that all was kind of ruined the moment I let you go," he paused, "I wanted to give Sehun a chance."

You squinted your eyes like it was hard to hear him. "What?" you were dumbfounded. First, you discovered Sehun liked you. Second, you found out that the only reason why Jongin and you never happened was because of Sehun's feelings.

"You 'let me go'?" you repeated, "I mean, I don't want to make it a big deal now but like I liked you back then. If I wanted to date Sehun, I would've. What if we weren't going to friends after that? You would've still risked it?"

"Sehun's my friend. Look, it was my choice. I rather have him happy because I didn't deserve you. He was a better person that I could ever be. Before you, I just messed with girls and you knew that then. What if you were one of those girls? Would you have still liked me?" Jongin rambled.

You were utterly upset with him. What was he thinking? Giving up a girl that he supposedly liked for his best friend? "I wasn't though," you firmly stated, "But do me a favor. Never 'let a girl go' because your best friend likes her. You deserve someone too."

Jongin remained speechless. He layed on his back with his eyes staring at the ceiling. You stayed where you were then placed your hand on his arm to comfort him. "Just remember that the next time you decide to split up with a girl you like," you spoke softly as your eyes fluttered down. 

"Bora?" Jongin spoke out.

You hummed in response.

"I don't know if you like Sehun or not, but he has liked you for a long time. I have no idea how he responses to rejection either. I don't want him to suffer. He's really innocent when it comes to you." Jongin confessed, "I don't ever want to see him down. I know you can't promise anything, but if, you know, you find someone else you like, just let him know. He'll be hurt and maybe not want to speak for a few days, but he has to get over it."

"Thanks for telling me this," you said in your most quietest voice, "Really."