Chapter 17; Running away

Drama in summer school. ♡ Based on a true story.

 

I woke up the next morning(well, afternoon), feeling like crap. My cheeks were tear-stained and sticky, while the corners of my eyes were red and hurt. I cried myself to sleep last night. I felt so pathetic. Luhan wasn't even mine in the first place, why was I acting like I just lost a 5-year relationship? I took a deep breath.
 
"You can do it, Kim Kaemi. Get over yourself."
 
I punched my fist into the air, jumping up to wash my face despite the horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach still being there. Summer school starts again tomorrow, I've got to face it sometime or another. I threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top before walking down. Some fresh air will help to clear my head, I guess. 
 
I opened my door, shocked when a figure tumbled into my house. I gasped loudly, stifling a scream as I knelt down to have a closer look at the figure. Luhan. Half his body was in my house and the other sitting cross-legged outside. I gaped, before reaching down to poke him. I wondered if he had fainted, but after poking him for a few times, he woke up. He sat up and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly before turning around to face me. He opened his mouth, about to say something.
 
“Save it,” I interrupted him, “I’m leaving.”
 
I strode out the door, trying to get as much distance between us as possible. I didn’t know what I would do if I didn’t leave right then. I hurried away, running on the sidewalk, refusing the urge to turn back. What does he even want anyway? Hasn’t he already caused enough harm to me? 
 
I tapped the back pocket of my shorts, wanting to keep my phone by my side if he ever came, so that I could get Hae to save me. I cursed under my breath as I realized I didn’t bring it along with me. I slowed to a brisk walk, not hearing any footsteps behind me. Gradually stopping at a park, I climbed onto a swing. The park was filled with greenery, trees and plants everywhere. Children were running around happily with their parents in tow, enjoying the summer air. I swiped at the back of my neck and grabbed my hair into a bunch, trying to stop myself from sweating so profusely. 
 
Little kids were scattered everywhere, some on slides, others on swings, and some even in the sand pit. I looked at all their happy faces, unable to stop myself from smiling. I loved children, they had a never ending source of innocence and happiness. Slowly pushing myself off the ground, I swayed slowly on the swing, watching my surroundings. All of a sudden, a little girl, about 4 or 5 years old, bumped lightly into me, dropping the teddy bear she was carrying. I scrambled up from my swing, rushing to pick up the teddy as the girl looked like she was about to cry. Just before I reached down, a hand picked the teddy bear up, giving it to the little girl.
 
“There there, here’s your teddy.  This noona here didn’t mean to make you drop it okay?” He the little girl’s hair, earning a grin from her, showing off all her small baby teeth. The girl’s mother approached us as I stood, stunned at what just happened. 
“Thank you!” She sang, before lifting the little girl up and carrying her away. The little girl gave a last wave to Luhan, blowing a kiss at him, before turning to her mother. I watched as they left. Luhan suddenly didn’t seem as cold-hearted as he was yesterday.  I scoffed. I’ll never fall for it again. Stop being so fake, Luhan.
 
I walked back to my swing, kicking my legs as I swung higher and higher. I looked above the tree tops as the wind caressed my cheeks, making me feel as though the world carried no unhappiness. I slowed, coming down from my high. The swing sped up, a pair of strong hands pushing my back. I knew it before I even turned around, Luhan. 
 
“Stop it.” I struggled to get off the swing, but I was going too quickly. I didn’t dare to jump off, the swing was moving too quickly, waves of fear ran over me. 
 
“Just listen to me,” Luhan started, “please?”
 
“How about no.” I held my breath in and jumped off, letting go of the swing simultaneously. I shut my eyes, ready to feel the impact of the hard floor on my feet before I ran off. I waited. Nothing came. I peeked through the gaps of my eyelids. Luhan held me gently by the waist.
 
“Let. Go. Of. Me.” I gritted my teeth, sending a threatening look in his direction.
 
“Unless you promise to listen to me.”
 
I slapped his hands off me, running towards my house and safety. He chased after me, his legs pumping on the pavement behind me. He was catching up really quickly. But no, I wasn’t ready to listen to his excuses yet, I know I’ll forgive him, but I can’t. My brain screamed “don’t ever trust him again” while my heart screamed “just listen to him” as I continued running. I don’t want to, I can’t, ever believe in him again.