Chapter 16; Hero Donghae.

Drama in summer school. ♡ Based on a true story.

 

Hae held me in his arms, as much as he could through our seats as I sobbed into his shirt. The rain outside continued pouring relentlessly, adding on to my foul mood.
 
I poured the whole story out to Hae while sobbing, though he probably didn't understand anything through all that quivering. He nodded, lending me a listening ear while I ranted on and on about how much of a jerk Luhan was and how much of a Sica was.
 
I looked up to the rear view mirror after I really long period of time moping. My eyes were red and puffy, streaks of tears could be seen and my nose was red and disgusting. With my limp and damp hair added onto the list, I looked downright unappealing. Donghae passed me a tissue and I blew my nose noisily.
 
To add on to my list of misfortunes, I just made myself look like , or worse than , in front of a guy. A pretty awesome one and probably my only friend left at that.
 
"Stop crying, Kaemi," he pinched my chubby cheeks, "I'll kill that bastard!"
 
"Hae," I shot him a pointed look, "Don't. I'll get over it soon." Even though I finally saw through his nice facade, I still couldn't stop feeling things for him. It's probably just puppy love, I'll get over it soon enough. I hope.
 
"Alright! That's enough moping for a day, lets go!" Donghae held my hand in his as he turned the engine on and sped off into the rain.
 
I felt his gesture was oddly comforting, it didn't have the make-my-heart-want-to-explode feel, but it made me feel like someone actually cared, like someone would actually be there for me when I needed it.
 
He led me into a dark area, contrasting with its interior with colourful brightly lit lights. Loud music attacked my eardrums as I pushed the heavy glass door open, making my heart start beating quickly together with the bass.
 
"Here!" Donghae shoved a handful of tokens into my arms, "Play to your heart's content!" He sang as he gestured at the huge arcade, grinning like a little kid. The floor looked like it was just mopped, but groups of people crowded in groups, laughing loudly and cheering for each other.
 
I forced a smile as the loud music made my head throb. I was in no mood to do this, but seeing Donghae's hopeful smiling and him genuinely wanting me to cheerup, I headed to the nearest wack-a-mole machine. Better get all my anger out when I can.
 
I inserted a token and grabbed the plastic hammer. Moles, you're all going to die a horrible death.
 
"Kyaaaaaaaaaa!" I slammed the hammer as hard as I could onto the machine.
 
"You go girl! Show them~" Donghae cheered from the side.
 
"YES!" I jumped up and hi-fived Hae as I hit the last mole, not missing a single one. Rolls of tickets tumbled out, and I rubbed my hands gleefully and tore the strip out.
 
--
 
"Awhhh yeah!" Hae cheered as I lost to him in yet another round of the shooting game.
 
I owned him in wack-the-mole, but lost terribly in the racing one and the shooting game.
 
As I pushed the last token into the slot, I had totally forgotten about Luhan and Jessica, excitedly gripping my whole roll of tickets, almost more than 400 now.
 
Donghae casually slung his arm over my shoulder as we walked towards the ticket exchange counter. I slapped his chest lightly, but he didn't let go. Deciding to ignore him, I skipped to the counter, placing all the tickets on it.
 
"Seven hundred and fifty six," the girl at the counter inserted the tickets into a counting machine, "What would you like?"
 
I turned around to look for Hae, as he was the one that paid for everything, and so all the tickets rightfully belonged to him.
 
"Looking for me?" Donghae appeared by my side, "Get whatever you want, Kaemi." He pinched my cheeks and grinned at me, showing off his perfectly straight teeth.
 
"Awww, you guys are sooo sweet~"the girl at the counter cooed.
 
"We're no-" I shrugged Hae's arm off me.
 
"Thanks!" Donghae interrupted me, winking in my direction.
 
I cringed. Never knew that childish kid could be so flirty, but that was kind of sweet!
 
"Nope, you choose! It's yours afterall." I pushed Donghae towards the huge selection of prizes.
 
He pointed at a large rabbit soft toy, "We'll get that."
 
 
---
 
 
"I can't believe you," I burst out into another round of laughter. Donghae was piggybacking the huge rabbit toy which was about one-third his size.
 
It was baby pink, with beady eyes, a hot pink felt flower sewed onto one of its ears. I was holding the bright orange carrot soft toy that came with it.
 
"I wouldn't have gotten it if I'd knew you would force me to hold it for you." Donghae grumbled through my laughter.
 
"Fine, I'll hold it!" I took the rabbit from Donghae, "For you!"
 
"Awwww," he cooed, pinching my cheeks. 
 
Slapping his hand away, I trudged down the road, dragging the rabbit along with me. 

"Yaa. Don't drag my bunny like that!" Donghae pouted cutely, "To punish you.."
He walked a few steps in front of me, and bent down on one knee, back facing me. His sudden stop caused me to crash into his back. I grabbed his shoulders, trying to keep my balance as I lost my balance. He suddenly grabbed my legs, lifting me up in a piggyback, the rabbit barely missing his head. 
 
"Piggyback the rabbit! It needs love too~" Donghae grinned, starting to walk, "TRIPLE PIGGYBACK!"
 
I did as I was told, trying to hide my face from the judgemental looks given from the passerbys. Luckily for me, there weren't that many people on the street.
 
I kicked my legs. "Put. Me. Down. Hae." 
 
"Nuh-uh, don't even try, you'll kill my rabbit by the time we reach my car!" 

We squabbled for a while more, the sky beginning to show signs of darkening. I didn't even realise that we've long passed the fishy prince's car. 

"WILL NOT."
 
"WILL TOO."
 
"Put me down or I'll make sure to mince your precious bunny up."
 
"Fine!" Donghae whined, accepting the fact that he had lost. 
 
I hugged the rabbit and carrot, walking by Donghae's side. It started to drizzle, little raindrops pattering on to the earth. He grabbed my arm, dragging me (and his rabbit) with him as we started to run, our footsteps hitting the sidewalk. I let him lead me, not being able to anything other than a blurry vision due to the fact that my glasses had fogged up and raindrops had chosen to stick to my frames. I could see little bits of light start to appear afar, giving out a warm feel with their orangey-yellow glow. We approached a more crowded area, and screams of little children could be heard. The drizzle turned into slightly heavier rain just as we approached shelter. I tried brushing the wsater droplets off the bunny, not wanting it to be ruined. Tiny goosebumps started forming on my arms. 
 
But Donghae didn't stop walking, he walked another block under the shelter, eventually stopping at his destination- Lotte world. I desperately wiped at my spectacles, trying to clear my vision as Donghae pulled me out of the shelter, into the rain again, running until we got up 2 steps and into a small enclosed space. The ferris wheel.
 
Donghae reached over as I sat down, removing my glasses. 
 
"There, pretty!"
 
I set the rabbit down beside me, the ferris wheel starting to lift upwards. 
 
"Hahaha, not funny!" I slapped Donghae lightly on the arm. That's exactly what I'm not now Hae, I'm all wet and disgusting. I snatched my glasses back, surprised that it was dry now. Donghae grinned at me. Don't tell me, he just wiped my glasses for me with his shirt?! Aww.
 
"OMO. SO PRETTY!" The rain already started falling, the sky a dark grey. I could see streaks of rain fall if I looked clearly. As I glanced below, I could see numerous colourful umbrellas and people running about, more of that warm orangey-yellow light dotted about. It was a beautiful sight. 
 
I let out a  shiver unconsiously, suddenly aware of the cold I was feeling. Donghae leaned forward and rubbed his warm hands on my arms, warming me up, his smile lighting up the whole carriage. 
 
My world suddenly seemed perfect now. But I knew deep inside, that it wasn't.