The Date

Ace Family One Shots and more
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Jessica and Tiffany sat across each other on an Italian restaurant. Jessica's original plan was to take Tiffany somewhere American but the only American places she knew of were fast food chains. And since this date's really special for her, Jessica decided to forgo that idea and chose this restaurant down the block. They were waiting for their orders and were just awkwardly looking at each other.

 

"Your brother called you Stephanie." Jessica said, trying to make conversation.

 

"Oh. That." Tiffany giggled. "It's my first name. My mom wanted to name me Tiffany but my dad wanted Stephanie. He said it sounded more formal and sweet. My dad won the argument so Stephanie it is." Tiffany eye-smiled. Jessica felt like she was melting by just looking at the girl. She managed to let out a small awkward chuckle as a response to Tiffany.

 

"But my mom, she was driven by her passion to name me Tiffany so she nicknamed me so. And everyone just got used to calling me Tiffany that people forgot that my real name's Stephanie." Tiffany was so immersed in her story. Jessica wasn't responding but she was listening intently, she didn't want Tiffany to stop talking, every word the girl said were like music to her ears.

 

"Taecyon calls me Stephanie because he wanted to be different. He said he was a special person in my life so I just have to deal with it." Tiffany shook her head, remembering her brother's silliness. "You can call me Stephanie if you want." Tiffany told Jessica. The older girl was caught off guard.

 

"Huh? I--o-okay." Jessica stuttered. "But can I call you Steph because Stephanie's kinda long." Jessica explained. She secretly wanted to call her Steph because she wanted to be special.

 

"Well, it has the same number of syllables as Tiffany. I don't see anything hard about pronouncing Stephanie." The younger one said, slightly confused. "But sure, you can call me Steph. You'll be the only one who calls me that."

 

The two smiled at each other. Their little starefest was abruptly halted when the waiter came with their food. Tiffany ordered spaghetti while Jessica ordered a salad. They started eating quietly.

 

"You know, I didn't think you were interested in girls. I thought you were dating Nichkhun." Jessica said finding it her obligation to start conversations when it gets awkwardly silent.

 

"Nichkhun?" Tiffany sounded amused. "That's absurd. He's just a close friend. He's my brother's best friend so we hangout a lot. Besides, he's dating Victoria. Didn't you know that?"

 

"Oh. Really? I didn't know that. I don't actually pay attention to school gossips." Jessica said with a small smile.

 

"Yeah. I've noticed that." Tiffany smiled. "Is it bad that I sort of believed that  you and Yuri were dating?" Tiffany looked at Jessica sheepishly.

 

"What?" Jessica looked confused.

 

"There were rumors about you two since you were so close." Tiffany bit her lips.

 

"Really? I didn't know about that. Yuri and I are just really close. She was my first friend here in Korea. She's actually dating someone else. And she's not even my type." Jessica said showing a disgusted face then started laughing, Tiffany followed suit.

 

"Then what is your type?" Tiffany suddenly asked; half-curious, half-expectant. Jessica blushed.

 

"Well…" Jessica paused, finding it hard to speak. "I like girls who are simple and charming. Someone whom when I see smiling I'd feel happy myself. Someone who makes my heart beat faster every time I see her." Jessica smiled at Tiffany.

 

Tiffany stared back at Jessica. She didn't know why her heart is beating so fast but it's been like that since she saw Jessica sitting on their couch. Well, actually her heart has been like that the day she met Jessica in Gym class.

 

"What about you?" Jessica asked.

 

"Me? Hmmm." Tiffany thought deeply.  "I dunno. I think I like snobbish girls." At this, Jessica looked from her plate to Tiffany. "You know. The mysterious ones. Someone who intrigues me so that when I get to know her, I'll be surprised. And yeah, someone who sings well. I like singers." Tiffany smiled at Jessica.

 

Jessica didn't know what to say. It sounded as if Tiffany's describing her but she didn't want to be overconfident about it.

 

'Maybe Tiffany realized that I was describing her and thought it would be nice to describe me as  a sign if gratitude. She can't like me, I'm nothing special.' Jessica thought to herself.

 

The dinner went by without much event. They talked a lot about school, about how they met and about their respective lives. They are now sitting inside Jessica's car on their way to the cinemas.

 

"So what are we watching?" Tiffany asked Jessica excitedly. Jessica didn't know what to answer. Now she thinks she's a really bad date because she wasn't prepared.

 

"Uh, well. I wanted you to pick the movie. I don't want to pick anything that you wouldn't like." Jessica muttered.

 

"That's sweet." Tiffany smiled and looked outside the window. Jessica didn't see this because she was so focused in driving.

 

"We could watch this new horror movie." Tiffany suggested. "I forgot its  title but Joohyun told me it was really good." Secretly she just wants the scary parts of the movie to be an excuse for her to cuddle up to Jessica.

 

"Okay then. We'll watch that." Jessica said while she parked her car. "We're here." She turned off the engine and

Please log in to read the full chapter