Through Thunder and Lightning, they cry at their ignorance

Mea Maxima Culpa

Through Thunder and Lightning Arc~

​A/N - New arc! The Thunder and Lightning one (pun intended <3). It'll be the final action, heart-pumping, emotion-tearing chapter!!! (at least i hope it will be). It's Thunder's final battle and all the final secrets of our blaq boys are being revealed! Enjoy the roller coaster~

@ainnurdoongie - Hey sis~ Haha, looks like we both did some promoting! Great minds think alike~~~ Haha, and i'm the same. I love seeing main charas all powerless, but then i like it when they gain something at the end whether it be love, escape, strength, victory etc. Then again, its because the main chara is so weak to begin with that i really feel it's a triumphant moment! 

@wookielove - haha, yeah i guess it did turn out to be more emotional~ I don't think this chapter will be tho, it's more of a 'gaining momentum' one. 

@T4kara - Haha, thanks for the praise!!! My turn to go check out your stories!!! 

@HanSang - Uhhh actually i didn't name him after SJ. Truthfully i don't know SJ that well, only Kyuhun and Henry (SJ M). I've heard his name...but actually i picked it by going to google and typing in 'good male korean names' and then selecting at random. Same with Ji-eun's mother's name and Ji-yun's name. Lol...sorry to disappoint. 

And thanks to T4kara for subscribing~~~~

Chapter 40 – Through Thunder and Lightning, they cry at their ignorance

Seungho POV

 “And that was how Lee Ji-eun and I parted ways. Almost sounds like something out a drama, doesn’t it. *harsh laugh* What could I say? I did what I thought was best, but it seems that fate really doesn’t like me, because we met again and something even worse happened.

But I should finish my story first. It’s not that complicated. I stayed at LOEN training for a few more months but it became harder and harder to avoid Ji-eun at the company. Especially with her growing popularity as the ‘nation’s little sister’. Everyone wanted to be her friend and I was the only exception.

Then it got worse when Ji-yun’s contract was formally terminated and she left the company in tears.

By that point of time, I was breaking down. I couldn’t handle it.

And just when I was thinking of quitting, of giving up my hopes of becoming a singer – because god knows I didn’t deserve such a thing – Jihoon-hyung came to me. He offered me the position of the fifth mblaq member and I pounced on the opportunity immediately.

He questioned my passion and I told him I would put my life on the line for it. Anything to leave LOEN. To leave Ji-eun. To put it all behind me. I would do anything.

The moment he said yes, I fell to my knees and thanked him so profusely I think he got embarrassed. I couldn’t help it though. He had shown me the light to my dark tunnel and finally, finally I thought I could put it all behind me.

I was wrong. The past does come to haunt you like in those movies. I met Ji-eun again; I fell in love with her again. And just like those terribly annoying fortune tellers say, well it was an ‘I told you so’ moment. Everything collapsed. 

And no. It’s not your fault Seungho-hyung or yours noona. Perhaps your relationship might have started the ball rolling again, but it was in no way your responsibility. I was just delaying the inevitable. Foolish enough to believe that if I put my hands over my ears and closed my eyes, everything would just disappear.

Well I’m not a kid anymore. I have to deal with my mistakes, make amends and beg for forgiveness. And I’m starting right here right now by telling you everything.

The next step is that I will put an end to my other sins.

So Dara-noona, Seungho-hyung, Byunghee-hyung, Changsun-hyung, Cheolyong-ah…

This is the end of this story, but there is more. This time though, I will tell you the rest of the story in person. *sound of a deep breath inhaled and exhaled* What comes next is something I cannot hide from. I have to face my inner demons and admit to what crimes I have done. I have to face up to my mistakes and I have to atone for the multitude of sins that I have incurred. I have to quit being a coward.

So once I end all of this, I promise to come back and I promise to explain everything.

Only then, can I face you all properly. ”

The sound recording went silent with a faint shuffle of noise – presumably Sanghyun turning it off – and then the room grew chilly as we all tried to wrap our heads around Sanghyun’s confession. I gripped my hand into a fist, trying to solidify all my anger and frustration and helplessness, and then unclasped my hand.

A sweet voice broke the silence. “He…he-“

My head spun around to see Lee Ji-eun at the doorway, holding the frame as if she couldn’t support herself fully. Behind her stood her father, his mouth open slightly and his glasses askew.

“Are you telling me?” The doctor took one haggard step forwards. “Are you telling me that my daughter was at fault for this entire incident? That Park Sanghyun was just another victim?”

I opened my mouth partially, and then froze – unsure of what I could possibly say.

The doctor raised one hand to hold his head. “Are you telling me Ji-yun caused all of this?” he stared at us with mournful eyes that begged to be told his deduction was incorrect.

I wanted to answer his question, I really did, but I didn’t know what to say. Either way, I would break his already fragile glass heart. That stern countenance, that firm fatherly figure – it would all smash to fragments in seconds.

So Dara answered for me. She didn’t use words, she didn’t need to: all she had to do was break down and cry.

Her head fell to the bed and her sobs filled the room. Her tiny fingers gripped the bedsheets the way a drowning man holds tight to his lifeline. In short, she let out all the pain she had been feeling and like a tidal wave crashing into a barrier, the dam broke.

Mir slid to the floor on the other side of the bed, holding the bedsheets to his face as he tried unsuccessfully to hide the tears that fell. Joon simply held himself, arms around legs, as he huddled in the shadows of the wall. I could see G.O standing stock-still as if unable to do anything else. Ji-eun was still clinging to the doorframe.

And as for me? I couldn’t cry. I couldn’t. I was the leader for goodness sake; I had to hold some sort of decorum right? I had to be strong for my members who were crumbling like sand castles on a rainy day. I can’t cry. No…no…these tears aren’t me crying.

I gave up and fell to my knees. I let those tears pour out and I couldn’t care less about how torn my face may have looked or how much my body shook. Dara turned away from the bed to bury her face in my shoulder and together we clung to each other.

We were, essentially, holding a funeral already at the rate we were crying.

It was the doctor who spoke first. “So it seems I have wronged Park Sanghyun.” He said in a cracked voice. “An apology seems in order. Where is he?”

I turned my head in surprise, roughly rubbing away the wet trails; half at the doctor’s honest desire to apologize and half because he had just reminded me of what we were all missing.

“Yes?” Ji-eun lifted her head. “Where is he?”

I cleared my throat guiltily. “He left us the message and we chose to listen to it first.” I explained. My logic was sound, but something was nagging at me. Then it hit me. His final words.

The next step is that I will put an end to my other sins.

“.” I swore and stood up straight, swiping one ragged sleeve against my wet face.

“Seungho?” Dara looked alarmed.

“He said he was going to end it all.” I paced up and down, trying to piece things together in my brain. “He said this would be the final end to it and only then could he face us properly.”

I swung around violently to stare at my shell-shocked companions.

“He’s going back to meet Go Ji Young, the leader of the Syndicate, isn’t he hyung.” Mir gulped, wide-eyed. I didn’t want to but I couldn’t help but nod.

“What?!” Joon hissed. “No!”

Ji-eun’s head snapped up. “Syndicate? Who?!”

“It has to be.” G.O put his head into his hands. “That man is the missing puzzle piece. He’s the loose cannon we have no idea about. If there’s anything that’s hurting Sanghyun, it would be him.” He then turned to Ji-eun and proceeded to explain who the Syndicate was.

“But where is he?” Dara breathed.

We all stopped having reached this barrier to our wonderful deductions. Then it hit me. Technology.

I swiped up Sanghyun’s blue phone that lay half-forgotten on the bed. “Of course!” I hissed triumphantly as I clicked some buttons.

“What is it hyung?” Joon stared at me, a little scared by my blazing eyes.

“I’m checking his messages and call list. Maybe he’s got Go Ji Young’s number in it.”

Mir was by my side in an instant. “Good idea hyung.” He said feverishly and watched closely as I trailed through the long log list. Mir, Ji-eun, Mir, Dara, Dara…then I found it. Sanghyun had labeled him quite simply as ???.

I almost wanted to laugh at the irony.

“Can you figure it out hyung?” Mir kept badgering me. I gave him a pointed look and he fell silent. Then I returned to tapping buttons and searching for a clue.

Message #294

Sender: ???

Time’s up. Think quick and act fast, kid.

I think I was finally getting something.

Message #295

Sender: Sanghyun

Let’s meet.

Was this it?

Message #296

Sender: ???

Oh? Finally got something done? Very well, meet at the following address.

Bingo.

“Found it.” I announced and everyone’s head flew up to stare at me. “49 XXX road, XXX” I quickly scribbled down the address and tried to remember where the location was. As far as I knew, it was about a half an hour’s drive from here and located in a rather dodgy part of town.

“Let’s go.” G.O shouldered his way to the door, eyes telling me he was prepared to go save Sanghyun no matter the cost.

Joon stood up as well and nodded firmly to me. He was going as well. Behind me, a cold hand gripped mine.

“I’m not staying behind this time.” Dara said determinedly. I knew I couldn’t stop her so I simply nodded and laced my fingers with hers, pressing one short but meaningful kiss to her lips. She returned it with a message of warmth.

“Alright.” I nodded to my other members and Chae-rin who looked equally ready. “Let’s go.” I turned to Ji-eun. “Are you coming?”

She opened , probably ready to come. But suddenly her phone beeped. An incoming message. Ji-eun frowned and quickly opened her phone. Then fell open and she closed her eyes , tears forming already. Ji-eun’s father hurried forwards to support her swaying figure.

“What happened?!” I demanded and rushed forwards, letting go of Dara’s hands momentarily to whisk her phone out of Ji-eun’s limp hold and scanned the text.

“.” I whispered and dropped the phone.

Everyone gathered around and read the message.

[1 new message]

Sender: Sanghyun

I love you, Ji-eun. I’m sorry I never got to say goodbye.

Ignoring everything, we ran.

A/N - So now we know where Sanghyun's gone~ Next chapter, more action!!! The final fight is approaching!!!

And for Seungdoong lovers, this oneshot is a must-read. Adorable~ Saranghamnida by Yeongie