Returning to the past, she erases her memories of him

Mea Maxima Culpa

A/N - Tralalala, soooo happy with the comments i recieved as a result of the last chapter! Exciting tense moments are giving way to the hospital scene and soon enough...we'll return to the present. Before then, Sanghyun wakes up! 

@ImaVIPbaby - Normally a silent reader, huh, but that means when you leave a comment, I'm even happier that you took the time to do so!!!! Anyhoo~ (Yup, i saw what you did ^^) hope to see more comments from you! So long as you're enjoying the story, i'm happy~~~

@reilsm - >< I know, i've tortured poor Sanghyunnie far too much in this story, both him and Ji-eun. Yep, Sanghyun fainted after the pillar fell down, but don't worry. They all survived. All explained in this chap~

@wookielove - I spy an update from you~~~ So right after i update this chapter, i'll be heading over to spam your fic with a HUGE comment! Await it~

@womaninmblaq - hmm missing comment? I think that happened to me when i commented on someone else's site as well...um...so...must be more site problems. Don't worry~ >< I know i'm torturing poor lil Sanghyunnie a lot, and it's not over yet, but i promise for one better day soon~

@HanSang - >< I'm glad i conveyed the fear and pain they all felt at the accident to you! It was a scary experience but one that was great fun to write because of how immersed i was in it! Anyhoo, this chapter has a location change! But it should be just as tense!

@ainnurdoongie - hello unnie! Still hating Ji-yunnie huh~ True she could've pushed the love of our life Sanghyunnie out of the car, but I don't think she was thinking. One of those 'action before thought' moments and only after she saw the consequences did she regret it. Anyway, it's something she'll regret for a long time to come. Haha and thanks for the praise unnie!!! Don't think i don't get tense when you write your action chappies about Sanghyun and SangBae/Doo Joon!!! Expecting more exciting moments from you as well!!!

Finally, thanks to sushipanda for subscribing. Must say, i LOVE your name!!!!

Next chapter will be the last one of the 'returning to the past' arc and we'll enter the final action segment of the story!!! For now, the conclusion which leads back to the present day. We're wrapping up everything that happened two years ago and now it's time to make amends and put an end to baby Sanghyunnie's problems!!! For now, enjoy~~~

Chapter 38 – Returning to the past, she erases her memories of him

Dara POV

I couldn’t help the tears that slid down my face. My baby brother had been through so much pain, more than any other boy should and yet he had kept this all inside of himself in order to not burden me. Without me even seeing it, my baby brother had grown into a man.  

Behind me, I could hear Seungho sniffling as well. He usually was not a crier, but right here and right now, pride was one thing everyone had let go.

I scrunched my eyes close into the soaked bedsheets I was using as a substitute tissue and let Sanghyun finish the rest of his tragic tale.

“After that, we were all taken to the hospital. I don’t remember much of the journey other than feeling really…cold…

And when I woke up half a day later, I had lost everything…”

1 year ago – January 6th 2009…

Bright lights blinded Sanghyun as he cracked his eyes open. His entire body felt heavy and battered, like he had entered a boxing ring and been on the losing side. Struggling, he tried to sit up and succeeded, but regretted it almost immediately as pain thunderbolted down his spine.

“You’re awake.” came a disdainful voice. Sanghyun forced his head to turn and face his visitor. Ji-eun’s father.

“Ji-eun?” Sanghyun croaked, everything rushing back instantly. “Where is Ji-eun?”

“She’s still unconscious,” Ji-eun’s father said curtly. “But her exterior injuries are not life-threatening thanks to the nature of your car crashing into the taxi stand. The impact targeted one pillar so that it crashed down onto your car, thus forming a protective arch over Ji-eun and the other victim, Bang Hyo Jin. They suffered scrapes and minor concussions, though the second victim seemed to have been simulatanously undergoing convulsions. Both are fine now, however we will have to await their awakening before assessing their mental physique and any brain damage." 

“Thank goodness.” Sanghyun closed his eyes and let out a sigh of relief.

Then Ji-eun's father's eyes narrowed further, making Sanghyun freeze. "As for you; you suffered heavy head trauma which caused concussion and some worry. You've been out for two days." He frowned and then continued in a cold voice. "In addition, you have several bruised ribs and a dislocated right arm. Those however will heal in time."

"Thank you doctor." Sanghyun said respectfully and tried to bow without inflicting too much pain on himself. "Is-"

But the doctor interrupted Sanghyun before he could speak further. "And whilst Ji-eun is physically fine," his voice was that of the icy artic, chilling Sanghyun to a iceblock. “Ji-yun's is not.”

Sanghyun’s head shot back up. Ji-yun, of course. He had completely forgotten about her.

“What happened?”

“The car was tilted when the infrastructure of the taxi stand collapsed on it. Ji-yun bore the full brunt of the collapsing car and received injury from the broken metal and glass shards.” His tone spoke volumes about the extent of the damage, more than his face did. Sanghyun gulped.

“Is she…stable?” he could barely choke out the words.

The doctor propped his glasses up, eyes unfriendly. “She is now, but she’ll have scars for the rest of her life.” Sanghyun froze. Scars? They were deadly to a girl. “In addition, her vocal cords have been damaged.”

“What?!” Sanghyun couldn’t help but gasp. He knew that scars were bad enough, but voice damage to a potential singer was fatal. “Can she speak?”

The doctor stared at her coldly. “She can…but she can no longer singer without damaging her vocal abilities further.”

Sanghyun’s heart sank. “Do you understand what that means?” the doctor just had to hit him where it hurt. Of course he did. He was a singer as well. He knew just as clearly that he, Park Sanghyun, had just single-handedly destroyed Ji-yun chances at being a singer, at leaving home and at finding the acceptance she craved so badly.

“C-can I see them?” Sanghyun choke and swung his weak legs out of the bed. His body barely responded and his ribs, his arms and his head pounded like a fifty ton sack of rocks had just been dropped on them, but this was a need fuelled by willpower. “I need to see them.”

The doctor stared at him for a moment. Then he nodded. “Very well.” He muttered. “But treat this like it’s your last.”

***

Sanghyun hovered over Ji-eun, unsure of what to do. He so badly wanted to touch her face, reassure himself that she was alive and sleeping right in front of him. But the dark stare of Ji-eun’s father from the doorway stopped him.

In the bed next to her lay Ji-yun. She looked much worse, covered in bandages and pale as the bedsheets she lay upon. Sanghyun couldn’t bear to look at her – she had been the cost of his momentary happiness.

As Sanghyun pondered what to say, Ji-eun suddenly twitched.

“Ji-eun?” Sanghyun breathed with relief as her beautiful black eyes opened and looked right at him. “Are you okay?” he took her hand.

Ji-eun blinked for a moment, her eyes focusing first on the ceiling and then on Sanghyun. She opened and said something, but Sanghyun couldn’t understand.

“Ji-eun?”

moved for a moment with no sound as if Ji-eun was trying to get her voice working, then she spoke. “Who…are you?” she whispered so quietly that Sanghyun thought he has misheard her.

“What did you just say Ji-eunnie, sweetie?” Sanghyun leaned in closer, his ears to her lips.

“Do I know you?” Ji-eun said more clearly. “And why are you treating me so familiarly?”

Sanghyun leaned back on his heels, shock covering his entire face.

Ji-eun’s father quickly slid in next to Ji-eun, his face covered in worry. “Ji-eun,” he grasped her hand. “Do you know me?”

Ji-eun blinked. “Of course I do, father.”

Sanghyun stared at her. Ji-eun’s father continued speaking. “Do you not know this man, Ji-eun?” he pointed towards Sanghyun.

Ji-eun stared at him with exhausted eyes and shook her head. “No, father. Who is he?”

Sanghyun covered his mouth, trying to keep the scream contained. He backed away and felt himself bump into the wall. Ji-eun…didn’t remember him? Was that possible?

“Ji-eun,” the doctor continued, uncaring of Sanghyun’s shock. “Do you remember what happened?”

Ji-eun struggled to think for a moment. “I debuted…didn’t I…” her voice shook. “But it didn’t go so well. So I got given a break…and I came home…”

“And then?” her father pressed her gently.

“And then…?” Ji-eun sounded puzzled. “And then…I don’t remember? What happened father? Where am I?” she tried to look around at the white room. “Am I in hospital?”

“Yes,” her father said in a soothing voice, holding her hand. “Your sister and you got into a car accident on your way home.” He lied. “But don’t worry, you’ll both be fine. For now, why don’t you rest?”

Ji-eun let out a soft sigh. “Okay,” she murmured. “I’ll just take…a short nap…”

The doctor stood up, his face suddenly stern and cold again and turned to face Sanghyun. “So,” he said calmly. “It seems we have a dilemma.”

Sanghyun tried to stop his body from shuddering. “She doesn’t…remember me…?” Somehow his brain didn’t want to accept that. No, impossible. Ji-eun, the girl who he had shared so many sweet, intoxicating kisses and warm hugs with, the girl who could make him smile when no one else could. She had…forgotten him?

“So it seems.” The doctor seemed faintly triumphant. “She seems to have forgotten everything about you and about the car accident.”

“Is that possible?” Sanghyun coughed. “To forget only one person?”

The doctor rubbed his chin. “Medically speaking, I suppose it is possible.” He gave Sanghyun a hard stare. “But usually…it means the subject herself wills it subconsciously.”

“In other words,” Sanghyun said horrified. “Ji-eun wanted to forget about me?”

He could believe it, but the doctor nodded.

“It seems she doesn’t need you anymore.” He said coldly. “Therefore, as her father – as both their fathers – I want you to leave.”

Sanghyun’s head shot up. “What?!” he gasped, wondering if he had gone mad and was hearing everything wrong. 

“Need I make myself clearer?” Ji-eun’s father reiterated himself. “I said leave. Leave. And never come back.”

A/N - Sorry to end it there, but otherwise the chapter was getting too long >< Forgive me~

I'll update as fast as possible tomorrow, but in the meanwhile i TOTALLY reccomend this fanfic: House of Cards by matchstickgirl. Okay, it's M rated, but it is seriously fantastic! The writing is superb, the story plot is to die for (SeungDoong pairing) and well >< I just can't stop reading it~ 

I'll try to reccomend more of my favorite fanfics to you all as i update each day! (Believe me, i've got plenty!)  That is, in addition to spamming you guys with dropdead gorgeous, y pics of Doongie (and occasionally Ji-eunnie or other mblaqies). In turn, you guys reccomend me some fantastic stuff as well~~~

Over and out!