BABIES (Part 1) Preparation

Karate Kids

Author’s POV

 
"Come on, let's go shopping before the babies get here," Yoomi said.
 
Youngmin opened the door for Yoomi. "After you." 
 
She rolled her eyes and stepped out in the hallway.  Youngmin shut the door and turned around to the see the others coming their way.  
 
“YOOMI!  YOUNGMIN!" the girls squealed.  The boys trailed after them in sleepy messes.
 
“Where are you going?” Nara asked.
 
Youngmin held up his wallet. “Baby food shopping."
 
Jaemi shoved over to Yoomi. “Let us go instead!”
 
“Why?" Jeongmin protested. "I don’t want to!"
 
Jaemi inspected her nails. “I think I may recall that you were a slave to someone..."
 
Jeongmin's shoulders drooped in defeat. “Eh whatever, we'll go shopping, you guys stay here and wait for the babies.” 
 
Jaemi gave him a side-glance that had triumphance all over it. "Only makes sense since they're coming to your room," she explained. 
 
Yoomi nodded slowly. “Alright... okay, let's do it.”
 
"Well was all you were going to get was baby food?" Nara asked.
 
Yoomi and Youngmin looked at each other. "Um... well we figured they would give us the other supplies..."
 
Nara herded them over to the door. "You can't be too ready with babies!  Let's go in and make a list!"
 
They stood around the table and Youngmin got a piece of paper.  When he came back, Jaemi snapped her fingers at Jeongmin and pointed at a chair.  He sighed, took the paper from Youngmin, and sat down.  "What do we need?"
 
“We need milk powder," Nara started.  She looked over Jeongmin's shoulder. "Write it down!” 
 
“I am!”
 
"Bottles and s,” Youngmin added.  Yoomi raised an eyebrow. "What?  Surprised I know anything about kids?" he scoffed.    
 
Jaemi looked at the ceiling for inspiration. “Uhm... dry tissues, wet tissues..." She looked over Jeongmin's shoulder and punched his arm. "OMG, write faster!” 
 
"I'm trying!" he protested.  
 
"Diapers and pacifiers,” Hwayoung said. 
 
HeeChin waited until Jeongmin was finished writing.  She snatched the list and scanned over it. “I think that’s all we need.” 
 
Youngmin stood in front of everyone. “Okay let’s split into groups to make this faster.  Jaemi and Jeongmin, go buy the milk powder.  Hwayoung and Minwoo, you go get the diapers.  HeeChin and Donghyun, you get the pacifiers and bottles.  Hyunmi and Kwangmin, you buy dry and wet tissues and those soft things to cover edges of tables.”  He looked at Nara and Hyunseung.  "We're gonna need something to eat to give us energy, so you guys get us snacks." 
 
“I'm in the mood for ice cream," Hyunseung said.  He looked around. "You guys want ice cream?” 
 
“YES!” 
 
Jeongmin wrote ice cream on the list. 
 
Yoomi raised her hand. “I don’t want ice cream,” she pouted.  "Can you put down bubble tea?"  
 
“Bubble tea for who?” Youngmin asked.
 
Jaemi stepped in. “Yoomi!  She loves bubble tea!"  Youngmin nodded. "When she's in a bad mood, all you have to do is buy her bubble tea and she’ll be okay.” She winked at Youngmin.
 
"Oh really...” Youngmin winked back. 
 
Yoomi caught them winking at each other. “YA, IF YOU WANT TO FLIRT, GO OUTSIDE!  BOTH OF YOU!"
 
Jaemi smirked and raised an eyebrow at her. 
 
Hwayoung smiled and elbowed Yoomi. “I think someone's jealous…”
 
Yoomi instantly turned a shade of red. “Jealous?  Why would I?  Just want to finish this up and flirting's just wasting our time!" she babbled.
 
"Sure you aren't..." Jaemi teased. 
 
Yoomi tried to change the topic. “So can you write down two bubble teas?  I want to save one for later,” she asked Jeongmin.
 
Jeongmin stood while scribbling it on the list.  "Okay, let's go guys before the babies get here!"  
 
Everyone moved to the door while Yoomi and Youngmin hung back at the table.  
 
“Come back soon!” Yoomi called after them as Youngmin waved.  The door closed and they were alone.  Yoomi laid on her stomach on the carpeted floor. "I'm still sleepy," she said, hoping to break the silence.
 
"Me too," Youngmin said.  He slid off his chair and sat in front of Yoomi.  She closed her eyes and they sat there for maybe five minutes without saying a word.  "Well this is awkward," Youngmin laughed.  Yoomi burst into giggles and sat up. 
 
"Ya, you like bubble tea that much?"
 
Yoomi reached for her phone on the table.  "Yeah..." She laid on her stomach again. "What about you?"
 
"Coffee." He laid down like Yoomi so they faced each other.
 
Yoomi played with her phone. "Cool."
 
They laid there for a few more minutes in silence.  Youngmin shifted a little and rolled on his back. "I'm bored," he said, tongue sticking out, and smiled. 
 
Minwoo’s  POV
 
"Diapers, diapers!" I sang.
 
Hwayoung hugged her arms close to her body.  "It's cold in the mall, let's hurry up to find them!" 
 
I glanced at her and back at the list. "You can use my jacket if you want."
 
"Oh no, it's fine, it's fine!" she said quickly.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her trying to suppress a smile and a blush fading onto her cheeks.  "So, uh..." she snatched the list from me, "Where do you think we should go?" 
 
"Babys-R-Us?" I spotted a mall directory and found the store.  Hwayoung appeared at my side.  "Right there.  It's not far from here," I pointed.
 
"Okay!" She spun around and stopped. "There's an escalator over there, let's go!" She led the way and I followed.  
 
We didn't talk the way there.  From the way she reacted about my jacket, I guess it was a good thing I hadn't just taken it off and put it around her shoulders without asking... That would have been embarrassing.  Aish, Minwoo! I thought.
 
Hwayoung interrupted my thoughts. "This place is huge!" 
 
The store seemed endless- we couldn't see the back of the store from the front doors.  
 
"Well, let's get going then..." I grabbed a basket at the same time as Hwayoung.  
 
"Oh, you can-"
 
"Oh, sorry-"  We both laughed nervously and I let go.  "You go ahead."
 
She picked it up and looked at the list. "Alright, we need to get the diapers.  They're 6 months old and we need diapers for a girl and a boy.  So how many do you think?  One pack for each?"
 
"Sure."  I craned my neck to see the signs above the aisles.  "Um..." A sign with a picture of a diaper and an arrow pointing to the left hung above us.  "Left!" 
 
We wandered the aisles until Hwayoung said "Here!" 
 
Diapers stuffed the shelves to the point where I was afraid to pull out one in case more fell out.  "So... enough choices?" I joked.  I yanked a package out.  "How about this one?"
 
Hwayoung sighed and pointed at the words. "It's for 7 months and up," she said.  I shoved it back in its spot.  
 
"Ummm... Oh!  What about these?" I bounced to a package and pointed at it.  "Hwayoung, what about these?"  She rolled her eyes, but a smile crept in the corners of .  "They're Mickey Mouse!" I pleaded. 
 
"Hmm... it says 4-6 months..." I stuck out my lip. "So I guess it's fine," she smiled. 
 
"Yay!" I edged them off the shelf and stuck them in the cart.
 
Hwayoung crossed her arms.  "But what about the girl?" 
 
"Uh..." My eyes darted around the aisle.  "How about these?" I pulled out Minnie Mouse diapers.
 
She let out a little laugh.  "If it's 4-6 months, then sure.  They both won't fit in the basket because they're too big, so I'll hold it."  She stretched for the package, but I pulled it out of her reach.  
 
"No, I've got it.  I'm the guy here."  
 
She raised an eyebrow.  "Holding the Minnie Mouse diapers.  Sure, go ahead."
 
I looked at the diapers in my hand and to the ones in the basket.  "Whatever," I said.  "Let's just get these and get back to the room."
 
Hwayoung smiled like she wanted to say something, but decided against it.  When we got the the checkout, we put the diapers on the belt and the cashier smiled at us. "Baby at home?"
 
Our mouths opened and we looked at each other, then back at the cashier.
 
"No, we-" 
 
"We're just-"
 
We looked at each other, embarrassed.  "These are for babies we're looking after today," Hwayoung sputtered.  I gave the cashier the money. 
 
The cashier nodded and handed me the receipt.  "Too bad, would've been a cute baby," she winked.  I glanced at Hwayoung. 
 
"Uh, thanks."  Hwayoung avoided my eyes as she grabbed one of the packages and I took the other.  Donghyun and Heechin walked through the front doors just as we left.  "Oh hi guys!" I called.
 
They waved and looked up at the signs.  "So, uh, the room, right?" Hwayoung said. 
 
"We could stand to get something to eat, right?"
 
"Well... I guess we have the time," she said thoughtfully.  "But let's put these in our room first so people don't look at us weird." 
 
 
Heechin's POV  
 
 
Donghyun was an awkward guy to be around.  He kept glancing at me and when I caught him, he'd look away and try to cover it up.  Weirdo.  I folded my arms across my chest.  "We're here for pacifiers and bottles right?"
 
He jerked his head in my direction.  Another thing-- constantly daydreaming. "Oh, yeah, right.  They're in the same section..." He scanned the store. "This way."  He led the way straight to the back of the store.  
 
I had to walk quickly to keep up.  "How do you know?"
 
He looked down each aisle and moved on to the next one.  "I have a niece and nephew I take care of."
 
I stopped and furrowed my brows.  "Really?"  He kept moving, not noticing I wasn't following.  I jogged to him again.  "I wouldn't have guessed."
 
He cocked his head and looked down another aisle.  "Well now you do.  It's around here somewhere... Here!" He swerved and disappeared down one of the aisles. 
 
When I caught up with him, I was out of breath.  "What's the rush?" 
 
His eyes didn't leave the shelves of pacifiers and bottles. "The babies are coming soon, don't want to waste time, do we?"  He stood on his toes and grabbed a matching pair of pacifiers and bottles.  A boy and girl deal.  Wha'do you think?"  
 
A tug of disappointment pulled at my heart. "Yeah, those are cute."
 
"Good," he smiled.  He walked down the aisle and turned to go to the front of the store.  "You coming?"
 
I forced a smile.  "Yeah, coming!" 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOUBLE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!