Is That Even Possible?

Karate Kids

 

Author's POV
 
Heechin waved at her friends. “Hey guys!”  
 
Jaemi raised an eyebrow at Heechin coming toward them with a skip in her step.  “Someone is a little hyped up today.”
 
“Something happened?” Hyunmi asked.  The rest of the girls eyed Heechin closely.  
 
Heechin blushed.  “No,” she scoffed.  
 
Donghyun appeared from behind her slipped his hand into hers. “Actually yes,“ he smiled. 
 
The girls’ eyes and mouths widened.  “What?  Who said it first?” Hyunmi squealed.
 
“She said she loves me so I said I love her too.” Heechin hid her face, but Donghyun caught a flash of a smile. 
 
“What?  She said it first?” Yoomi screamed.  The girls surrounded Heechin and bounced around.  
 
“Seems like someone couldn’t get a hold of herself this time,” Hwayoung winked at Yoomi.  
 
The girls giggled as the twins walked to the group.  “We don’t get it,” they said in unison.  They looked around confused.  
 
Yoomi knocked their heads.  “Aigoo, babo!”
 
Minwoo jogged over to them.  “You guys ready for the fight?”  He stretched over and kissed Hwayoung on her cheek.  She blushed and pushed him so he stood straight again.  
 
“Yes!” Everyone yelled.  Minwoo stretched his arms over his head.  “I think it starts soon… Oh there’s Hyunseong and Jeongmin.”  He nodded over to the two.
 
“Sorry we’re late,” Jeongmin apologized,  “Was anyone waiting for us?”
 
“I was!” Nara pouted.  Jaemi only put a hand on her hip and gave Jeongmin a knowing look.
 
Hyunseong and Jeongmin lowered their heads.  “Mianhe.”
A bell sounded three times and Liu teacher cleared his throat.  “Hello everyone!  I’m glad you guys have time to come and see this final.”  
 
“It’s fine oppa, just teasing,” Nara said and elbowed him in the ribs.  She grabbed his hand and they led the rest of the group to their spots.
 
“Because this is the final round,” Liu teacher continued, “there will be punishments for the losing team.” He paused for effect.
 
“What are the punishments?” the crowd screamed.
 
Lui teacher waited until the crowd quieted.  “I can’t you guys just yet, you’ll have to wait until the end.  Alright now, let’s start!” Another roar from the mass. “First up is… Hwayoung and Minwoo!”  He blew the screeching whistle, the bell rang, and the match began.
 
 Hwayoung and Minwoo stood in the middle of the ring.  Minwoo bowed. “Sorry Hwayoung.”  When he rose, Hwayoung saw he was biting his lip.  
 
Hwayoung smiled and bowed.  “It’s fine, we talked about this earlier, remember?” She rose. “Don’t go easy on each other, it won’t be fair.”
 
He nodded.  They circled around and Hwayoung darted at him.  He raised his arms, ready to punch, but Hwayoung flipped him over.  She turned and looked at him apologetically.  He shook his head to clear it and regained his balance.  He nodded with a smile to signal he was fine and immediately ran at her.  His fly kick caught her off guard and she fell to the sand. 
 
“One… Two… Three!  Minwoo has won this round!”  
 
The audience cheered while some boo’s were mixed in.  Minwoo’s eyes didn’t leave Hwayoung, but he stood motionless.  Liu teacher walked to the circle and held Minwoo’s arm up.  Minwoo shook him off and ran to Hwayoung, laying on the ground still and curled in a ball. 
 
“Hwayoung, are you okay?” 
 
She nodded and forced a smile.  “Yes, I’m better now.”  He helped her up and she held her stomach.  “Good job, Minwoo.”  
 
She winced and he touched her cheeks. “C’mon.”  Minwoo gently led her out of the ring. 
 
Liu teacher’s voice rang again.  “Next is Nara and Hyunseung!” 
 
Nara glanced nervously at Hyunseong.  He grinned encouragingly and they walked in the ring together.  Nara felt each heavy step weigh her down.  
 
“Hey!  I remembered to work out my back,” Hyunseung winked at her.  She smiled at his attempt at helping her nerves. 
 
She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, okay.” 
 
“Begin!” 
 
In a blink, Hyunseung already ran across the ring and knocked her down with two punches.  He stepped back in position, watching her struggle to get up.  She slowly got up and posed.  She ran to him and grabbed his wrist, bending it backward as she passed.  He yelped and even though she felt a pang in her heart, Nara turned to stand with her back to him and elbowed him in the stomach.  She released him and he fell to the ground.  She turned, thinking she had won, to tend to his hurt hand.  Hyunseung jumped up and kicked her square in the knee.  It was her turn to fall to the sand.  
 
“One… Two… Three!  Hyunseung is the winner of this round!”
 
“How is this possible?  We keep losing!” Yoomi looked to Jaemi and Heechin.  
 
Jaemi grinned with determination.  “It’s okay, there’s still four of us, we can beat them.”  
 
“But the punishment-”
 
Heechin rolled her eyes. “Jaemi’s got this!  Chill Yoomi!”
 
“Next is Jaemi and Jeongmin!”
 
“Jaemi, it’s your turn!” Heechin punched her lightly on the arm.  “You better win this for us!” 
 
“Good luck Jaemi!” Hyunmi and Hwayoung cheered.  
 
Jaemi slowly walked to the ring.  Jeongmin winked at her, but she ignored it.  She couldn’t be distracted from her main goal. 
 
At the sound of the bell, Jaemi lunged at Jeongmin, twisted her body, and with arms stretched wide, she slapped him twice in the face.  She landed on both feet as Jeongmin staggered backward.  Taking advantage of his lack of balance, she swung one foot under his leg, toppling him onto the sand.  Jaemi smirked.  An easy win.  Jeongmin pushed himself up and wiped the sand off his cheek now marked with a red handprint.  He punched her left cheek, picked her up, and pinned her to the ground.  When the countdown started, he let go and let her lie on the sand.  
 
“One… Two… Three!  Jeongmin is the winner of this round!”
 
Jeongmin bent on one knee to help Jaemi.  “When did you get so strong?” she teased. 
 
He shook his head and helped her back to the other girls.  Jaemi eyed him as he returned to the boys who greeted him with high fives.  
 
“I really do wonder how they got so strong.  We did so much better last time.” Jaemi rubbed her back and turned to the girls.  
 
Hwayoung handed her a bottle of water.  “I don’t know, I was really surprised this time.”
 
“I think I know why,” Hyunmi offered.  
 
Nara looked up from drawing in the sand with her foot. “Why?”
 
Hyunmi knocked Jaemi’s head.  “The guys are caring about the match instead of hitting on us like last time.  We’re caring about their health or being cocky.”  She turned to the others. “It’s even worse on us because now we’re going out with them.”
 
They all nodded their heads slowly.  “That’s true…” 
 
“Next is Hyunmi and Kwangmin!”
 
Yoomi stood and massaged Hyunmi’s shoulders.  “Alright Hyunmi, you have to do well this time.  If you win, we’ll have a chance of getting a tie, but if you lose, the boys will win and then we’ll get-” She gulped.  “The punishment.”
 
Hyunmi laughed.  “I’ll try my best.”
 
Hyunmi entered the ring with Kwangmin.  No words or signals of encouragement, this was it.  
 
The bell rang and they circled each other waiting who would make the first move.  It was Kwangmin; he charged at her, fist raised to punch, but Hyunmi ducked and flipped him over.  She posed expertly and waited for him to get up.  Kwangmin got up slowly and readied himself.  She ran at him at the same time he fly kicked, the outcome leaving her on stomach and holding her head.
 
“One… Two… Three!  Kwangmin is the winner of this round!” 
 
 Yoomi turned to the girls.  “We lost guys, get ready for the punishment,” her voice wavering.  
 
Hyunmi hobbled to them and sat on a chair.  “You were great, Hyunmi,” Jaemi tried.  Hyunmi shook her head.  
 
“May I please have your attention everyone?” Liu teacher’s voice boomed over the crowd again.  “Since the boys have won four of the matches, for the first time this month, the boys won the fight.  Let’s give them a round of applause!” 
 
Whistles accompanied the cheering.  The boys looked embarrassed and bowed awkwardly.  “Now is time for the punishment.”  Silence.  “Girls, beach or pool?” 
 
The girls looked at each other in confusion.  The beach or the pool?
 
“I would say pool,” Hyunmi managed.  
 
“Yeah, pool,” Yoomi said.  “It doesn’t have waves like the ocean.”
 
“No, the beach is much better,” Heechin argued. 
 
“Me too, the pool,” Hwayoung said.  
 
Jaemi shrugged.  “The pool sounds okay.” 
 
“Sounds like it’s the pool!” Liu teacher announced.  The crowd cheered.  “Alright then, the punishment is-”  Pause for effect. “The boys will carry the girls to the pool and throw them in!” 
 
Youngmin’s eyes widened. “But teacher-”
 
“Let’s go boys, girls, everyone to the pool!” The audience roared and Youngmin wasn’t heard.  
 
The boys strode to the girls.  “Ready?” Donghyun asked.  
 
“But Hyunseung, I’ll be too heavy, it’s fine-” 
 
Hyunseung scooped Nara in his arms. “You weigh almost nothing, I’ll be lucky if I don’t throw you across the pool.”  
 
Kwangmin walked to Youngmin and Yoomi.  “What if I throw Hyunmi first, then jump in the pool and wait for you, and when you throw Yoomi in, I’ll pick her up right away?”
 
Yoomi held onto Youngmin tighter.  “I don’t know Kwangmin, will that be safe?”
 
“I’d feel a lot better if you did that,” Youngmin said.  He stared into Yoomi’s eyes.  “Don’t worry, he’s my brother, I trust him with you.”
 
“Hwayoung, you’re gripping me too tight!” Minwoo choked out.
 
Hwayoung‘s mouth wobbled. “But Minwoo-”
 
“It’ll be okay, I’ve got you.  If I’m not there immediately, remember what I taught you.”
 
She smiled and nodded. 
 
The spectators and Liu teacher followed them to the pool.  “Let’s start!  One at a time!” 
 
Donghyun tossed Heechin in.  “Ahhhh!” she screamed as she plunged into the water.  She floated to the surface and laughed. 
 
Hyunseung stepped up and playfully swung Nara back and forth, finally throwing her far.  She swam to Heechin and they waited for the others.  
 
Jeongmin threw Jaemi like he would with something he would hate.  Jaemi bobbed to the surface and spit out the water.  She waved to him sarcastically and he blew her a kiss.  
 
Minwoo stepped to the edge of the pool.  He and Hwayoung kissed as he gently placed her in the water.  They separated and she sank a little but remembered the dog paddle he taught her to float.  She didn’t have to do it for long because he quickly got in and she slowly sank into his arms.
 
Kwangmin plainly dropped Hyunmi and the both laughed as she emerged from the water with her hair over her eyes.  He jumped in the pool to wait for Yoomi.
 
Youngmin approached the pool’s edge.  “Youngmin!” Yoomi held him tighter.  
 
“You’ll be fine, Kwangmin’s right there.”  He smiled at her and swung his arms back.  Yoomi squeezed her eyes shut.
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OKAY! DONE with this chapter! And because of you all, my co-author and I decided to write one chapter after this! ;) the last chapter. So keep on reading! PPYEONG!