Preparing For the Show! Part 2. Sadness

Karate Kids

 

HeeChin’s POV
 
Donghyun and I were in our room still working on our song.  I thought it was going well and we were almost done.  It was hard work and I was almost sad we were about done with it.  I was laying on the bed on my stomach with paper and he was sitting on the floor with his guitar and a piece of paper.  I looked up from doodling and looked at him.
 
Donghyun held the guitar so carefully, his hands the strings so gently, his face was so intune with the music he was creating, his deep voice humming the words he was figuring out how to work and make meaningful, it all made me secretly melt.  I didn't feel too bad because I thought just about everyone could fall for him.  He looked up and I looked back at my paper hoping he hadn't seen me watching him.     
 
“HeeChin, I’m stuck at this part, can you help me?” He reached up and handed me his paper.
 
I stared at his scrawled writing, scratches through lyrics he didn't like... I looked at the bottom of the paper, where I assumed he was stuck on.  There were more scribbles there than anywhere else.  “I’m singing this part or you?” I sat up. 
 
“Me."
 
"Okay..." I read the part he didn't scratch out. “With all of my heart like a man, I want to confess,” I translated in English. "I like that," I said.  He smiled. 
 
I looked back at the paper.  “Okay… the next part should be me singing something like..." He nodded at me to go on.  “You’d better catch my heart, you’d better know my heart, baby," I said in Korean.  "Then we both repeat the line."
 
"Which one?" 
 
“You’d better know my heart baby,” I said in Korean.  I wrote down the lyrics and gave him the paper.
 
He read it over.  “That’s nice, I’ll try to make it work,” he said and he played his guitar a little.
 
I reached down to grab the paper.  Donghyun stopped playing and I read it over. “Come to think of it, I think it would be better if we used drums and the piano instead of the guitar,” I said. 
 
He set down his guitar and looked at the paper with me. “Piano I can play, but drums… Been a while since I touched them.” 
 
I looked over at him. "I can play the drums."
 
“Really?  Awesome!"  We smiled at each other.  He stood up.  "Let’s go ask a teacher where a music room is.”  He started walking out of the room. 
 
I picked up our papers. "Wait up!"
 
 
Jaemi’s POV
 
I'd been trying to ignore Jeongmin, but it had been hard.  Not only did we live in the same room, the talent show was coming up in a week and he was pestering me about practice.
 
I was planning on going to the mall, so I got dressed to go out and headed toward the door.  “Jaemi?"  My shoulders drooped.  I forgot Jeongmin was still here.  I breathed out and opened the door.  
 
I heard him run up to me.  I walked down the hall. "Jaemi, talk to me!"  He followed me to the elevator.  "If you don’t, how can we perform this song?” He grabbed my arm and turned me to face him.  
 
“Let go of me!” I swung my arm back hard and it hit his face.  He jerked away from me.  I looked in the corner of my eye and saw him rubbing his cheek.  My heart sank, but I knew had to act tough.
 
I realized that the elevator doors had closed.  "Aish," I muttered.  Now we were stuck in this tiny room together with no way to get out.  He looked at me confused.  My eyes moved from him to the elevator buttons.  “Well... That’s what you get,” I sniffed. 
 
He looked at his reflection in the little mirror on the elevator wall. “Jaemi look, you gave me a red mark."  He glanced at me not paying attention.  He grabbed my arm and turned me to face him again.  "LOOK.” 
 
My heart broke in two.  Did I really do that to him?  I avoided his eyes that bore into me. "What’s there to look at?  You've probably gotten worse at karate, it’ll fade away.” 
 
He shook his head and released me. “Why are you being so cold to me?  I think if anyone should be cold, it should be me.” He pointed at the mark on his face. 
 
I crossed my arms. “Why?  You're asking me why?  Says the person has the answer!" I turned my back to him so he wouldn't see my eyes filling with tears.  
 
I heard him sigh in frustration. “How am I suppose to know!  Ever since I confessed I liked you, you've acted cold toward me.” I felt him coming close.
 
I held up a hand. “Don’t.  Come near me,” I warned.
 
He was silent. “What about the performance then?”
 
“'If You Want a Lover'.  You sing Yoseob's part, I sing Gayoon's part.  No need for practice.” 
 
The elevator doors finally opened.  I walked away as quickly as I could from Jeongmin. 
 
"IS IT BECAUSE OF MY CONFESSION OR BECAUSE I DIDN’T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T WRECK THE BATHROOM?” 
 
My body stopped moving.  I told myself to keep going, but I couldn't.  I felt everyone in the lobby staring.
 
“WHICH IS IT?” 
 
A tear rolled down my cheek and I forced myself to walk out of the hotel.  Jeongmin didn't follow me.
 
 
Yoomi’s POV
 
I opened my eyes slowly.  I was facing the clock which informed me in glaring red numbers it was nine in the morning.  I usually didn't get up that early.  I figured something had woken me up and I tried falling asleep again, but I heard someone behind me.  
 
“I can’t live without you for just one day... You are the one I will keep, you are the one I will love, yes!  Because I’m just in love with you...”  The voice sounded familiar.  I turned over quietly so I woudn't disturb the singer.  I focused my eyes and recognized Youngmin looking out the window.  My eyes widened and I turned over quickly.  I heard him turn around and walk toward the bed.  I closed my eyes tightly.
 
I heard him kneel and he picked up my hand with care. "Yoomi..." he whispered. He squeezed my hand gently.  He sighed. “If only you heard what I just sang.  Do you know it?"  He chuckled softly.  "It's called 'It Has To Be You'.  It’s for you Yoomi, it’s for you!" He touched his cheek to my hand.
 
"I can’t live a day without you... Why are you still acting cold?" His voice cracked.  My heart felt like he was pulling apart cotton candy. "What did I do wrong?” My hand felt a little wet like a trickle of water.  I couldn't stand it any longer.  I turned over and opened my eyes slowly, pretending to wake up.
 
“Youngmin, why are crying?”
 
His eyes widened and he cleared his throat. “Oh nothing, nothing... just something flew in my eyes, you know?” He stood up.
 
I rubbed my eyes. "Why are you here?"
 
"I live here too you know!  Just wanted to check your pulse, you've been sleeping for forever... just checking to see if you were still alive," he babbled.  He looked over at the door and back at me.  "Uhm, I need some fresh air, wanna go to the mall with me?” he asked hesitantly. 
 
I covered my face with the blanket. “Uhm, no!  I don’t want to go with you!” 
 
I felt him staring at me.  I wished he would go away so he wouldn't hear me cry.  I heard him sigh and walk away.  A tear escaped my eye and I wiped it away angrily.  I heard him open the door, stop for a moment, and close the door behind him.  
 
I sat up.  It felt like the dam broke in my eyes and tears kept coming.  I wiped my tears with the back of my hand and smiled to myself like an idiot.  I was strong, but it killed me to be so. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOUBLE UPDATE! I KNOW YOU LOVE ME AND MY CO-AUTHOR! ;)