A Sad Confession

Karate Kids

 

Minwoo’s POV
 
Hwayoung and I were really bored and were sprawled on the bed staring at the ceiling.  I laying the correct way, vertically, and she was laying horizontally, with her head resting on my chest.  I closed my eyes and smiled.  I thought I did good on our first dance practice, but I didn't think she fully got what I was trying to tell her.  I opened my eyes and looked at her.  Her eyes were closed and she was smiling too.  I decided that I couldn't keep beating around the bush.  The talent show was in two nights, then the night after was our last night together.  I had to tell her before we went back to our normal lives and never saw each other again.  Just the idea made my heart sink.  Even if she didn't feel the same way back... I knew that I needed to tell her straight forward how I felt.   
 
“Hey Hwayoung..." 
 
She didn't open her eyes. "Hmm?"
 
I felt conscious of my heart beating faster.  Afraid she would hear it ramming against my chest, I sat up slowly, just enough to gently slide her head on my lap and propped my arms behind me so I could keep balance.  Her big eyes stared up at me.  A little smile crept over my lips and she smiled too.  I wanted to her hair, but I was afraid it'd freak her out.  We were like this for what felt like forever, and I wished it were.  I realized that I should say something.  I cleared my throat and the moment shattered back to reality.  
 
"Um... Do you, uh, wanna watch a movie?"  I blushed. "Like here in the room?"  Well that wasn't what I was planning on saying, but I could work with it. 
 
She nodded.  "Anyone else coming?" 
 
"I thought, um, it could just be, uh..." I looked away shyly.  "You and me?" I squeaked.  
 
Her face lit up. “I like that idea," she said.
 
My heart flipped over a few times.  Did I just hear that right?
 
She rolled off my lap and scooted close to me. "What movie are we gonna watch?" 
 
"I don't care, whatever one you want," I said. 
 
"I like... action... romance... comedy's good too," she said.
 
"What don't you like?" I asked.
 
"I'm gonna tell you something I haven't told anyone else," she said.  She scooted over again so our shoulders and hips were touching.  At her touch, I felt a tingle run up my spine.  "I get scared every time I watch a horror movie.  I only like to watch them with people who're scared of them too because then I don't feel bad about it," she whispered as if there were other people in the room.  She bit her lip and blushed.
 
"Hey," I whispered back. "I'm scared of them too."
 
She slowly smiled. "I haven't watched one in years."
 
I smiled back. "Me neither."
 
"We got popcorn right?"  I nodded. "I'll take care of popcorn, you get a couple movies."  
 
I looked at one eye, then the other. “Why are we still whispering?" I asked. 
 
She giggled. "Because it's fun!" 
 
"Wait here, okay?  Don’t go anywhere, promise?” I said softly in her ear.  She nodded. 
 
I drew back and got off the bed.  She sat crisscross and put her hands in her lap, face beaming.  
 
I put on his jacket and opened the door.  I looked back.  She waved.  I left and closed the door behind me.  My face hurt from smiling so much, but I didn't care.  I kept smiling all the way into the elevators.  When the doors to the elevator closed, I pumped my fist.  "YES!"
 
 
Yoomi’s POV
 
“Youngmin…” The uncharacteristic seriousness that clouded his face made me want to laugh, but at the same time scared me.
 
“Please... take it,” he begged.  I reached for the cup.  The closer my hand got to his hand, the bigger his smile his smile grew.  I took the cup and he looked like the happiest person in the world.  I took the lid off the cup.  I looked at him and I knew I had to do it.  "Do you forgive me?" he asked. 
 
I splashed the bubble tea in his face before I could hesitate.  I turned angrily and marched to the door.
 
“Yoomi?” I stopped.  I almost hadn't heard him.  He grabbed my arm and turned me around.  His face was dripping with tea, the front of his shirt soaked.  I looked at his hand holding my arm.  He was barely holding it, if I moved a little I would have been out of his grasp.  
 
I looked him in the eyes. "Youngmin, you can't even tell me what you're sorry for," I said.  My throat tightened and I stopped talking, afraid I would cry.  I shook my arm away and opened the door.    
 
"Yoomi Jung, you listen to me!" he shouted.  I swallowed hard and faced him again.  He looked determined even sopping wet with bubble tea.  He swallowed and breathed out. "I have something to tell you and it's about time you listened!"   
 
I quietly shut the door without taking my eyes off of his.  His eyes filled with tears. "Yoomi, when I saw you for the first time on the bus, I prayed that we were going to see each other everyday.  When I found out when we were sharing a room, I didn't think of anything because I was too happy to have a coherent thought."  He stepped closer.
 
"You're cute when you pout, you're adorable when you get indignant about everything, you look like a child when you sleep, you make me happy just by being in the same room," he wiped his face, but I wasn't sure if it was to wipe off the tea or tears. "When you were drowning, all I could think about was life without you, and that scared me.  I love it when you smile, I love how you blow your bangs out of your face, I love how your nose crinkles when you laugh..."  He grabbed my arm and squeezed it, careful he wouldn't hurt me.  I couldn't tear my eyes away from his shining eyes that were gazing deep into me. "Don't you see-" He shook his head. "Didn't you see that I've loved you since the first day?" 
 
I didn't know what to do.  I just kept eye contact.  He looked away and bit his lip.  He looked back at me. "You've been so cold to me and I persevered through it because I love you, but my heart can only take so much.  I want to know what I did that was so wrong.  I need you to forgive me.  When we go our separate ways, I want be able to know that even if you don't love me back, at least... At least you'll be a bittersweet memory and I won't be a painful memory to you."    
 
I mustered up all my energy. “I'm sorry Youngmin,” I managed to say. 
 
His hand dropped and he back away.  He turned around and walked to the table.  I quietly opened the door again and backed out.  
 
He slammed his hands on the table.  I slowly closed the door, my eyes still on him.  He picked up a tray of bubble teas and threw it in the trash. "AHHHH!"  He picked up the next bubble teas and threw them in the trash. "AHHH!" he screamed again.  He fell to his knees and hit the floor with a closed fist.  I closed the door as quietly as I could.
 
I sprinted to Hwayoung and Minwoo's room and knocked on the door. "Hwayoung?"
 
She opened the door.  "Come on in."
------------------------------------------------------
uhm...... OKAY OKAY GUYS CALM DOWN! just dont hate Yoomi yet ;) please!!!!!!