Chapter 9: Silent Bell

Even Silence is Beautiful

Chapter 9: Silent Bell

A 'Chanbaek' story...


The sun slowly sets up and its rays illuminating the world. The wind passes by making the trees dance and flowers sway. Birds flying together, butterflies flapping their beautiful wings around the city of Seoul as spring surround the whole country. Traces of rays pass through the window and walked over to the sleeping figure that is covered with multiple blankets.

The door of the room opened, a young man entered the room and closed the door. The brunette came near the sleeping figure and shaked the figure violently.

“Yah! Yeol! Wake up! You’re going to be late for class!” the young man yelled to the sleeping figure that groaned in annoyance and sat up to rub his eyes.

“Ughh....Myungie....you are so annoying....always...every morning....” the latter mumbled as he continued to rub his eyes. The said man sat on the bed and pretends to fake tears.

“Omona....my own brother hates me that he has to call me annoying? That I, his loving brother, am only trying to wake his brother so that he won’t be late in class....yet that’s annoying??” Myungsoo sulked and tries to fake tears as much as possible.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Cut the drama, hyung. It doesn’t suit you. No wonder Sungyeol hyung doesn’t love you. You act like a spoiled brat.” Chanyeol uttered sarcastically before rolling his eyes again. Myungsoo stopped his little drama and glared at his brother.

“Why you little brat!” Myungsoo tackled Chanyeol on the bed to tickle him.


A well-furnished room with a piano at the middle with books, music sheets, and papers were scattered around the room. The rays slowly walked its way to the sleeping figure that was sleeping peacefully.  The door of the room opened and a man entered.

The auburn haired man slowly approached the figure and shaked him gently.

“Baekhyun ahh....wake up. It’s morning already. You’re going to be late for class if you don’t get up soon.” the man whispered to the sleeping figure but the figure won’t budge.

‘Hmm, maybe he’s still tired.’ the man thought to himself before leaving the room.  After a few minutes as the man left, Baekhyun’s eyes flutter open and slowly he sat up rubbing his eyes like a child’s way. He yawned soundlessly before stretching himself.

'What a beautiful morning' Baekhyun thought as he smiled.

He got out of bed and did his morning routine.


“Aish! Thanks for ruining my morning Yeol...seriously...” Myungsoo gritted his teeth as he glared at the younger who is innocently eating his food. Chanyeol looked at him innocently and shot him a goofy smile.

“My pleasure, hyung,” Chanyeol mockingly teased before taking a last bite on his pancake. Myungsoo hissed before taking a bite on his pancakes with a sulking mood. Chanyeol chuckled before standing up to get his bag on the couch.

“I’ll be going now hyung,” Chanyeol yelled from the living room. Myungsoo hissed before yelling back.

“Yeah. Have a good day on school, Yeol. I’ll pick you up later. We have practice later on with Sunggie and the others.”

“Okay!”

Myungsoo heard the door open and closed. He sighed and looked at the picture frame of him and his brother and their family.

‘Umma...Appa...please take care of Yeol as he goes to school.,” Myungsoo thought as he stared at the picture frame. He smiled bitterly before standing up, picking up the plates and going over to the sink to wash the dishes.

It’s been like that after their parents died on a plane crash. Myungsoo always ask and pray that his brother would be safe wherever he goes. He’s scared that if he’s brother will be also gone, he might go into depression and kill himself. That’s why he does things to the fullest to make every day memorable.

~*~

Baekhyun strutted down the long stairs with still jelly legs and went to dining room, joining the other people in there.  As he arrived, he bowed down to the people present on the dining room before sitting down. A man came out of the kitchen and his face lit up as he sighted Baekhyun.

“Ah~ Baekhyun, you’re awake. I was in your room awhile ago to wake you up but you didn’t respond so I thought, maybe you’re still tired and let you get more sleep,” the man uttered as he placed the food on the table.

Baekhyun stood up to get his white board and came back. He sat himself again and wrote down on his white board.

Sorry Minho hyung. I was really sleepy that I wasn’t able to response but shortly after you left, I woke up.

Minho nodded his head and settled himself in his seat. They ate with silence until Mr. Wu broke it.

“Where’s Kris?” Mr. Wu asked them. Baekhyun blinked innocently as he shook his head telling Mr. Wu that he doesn’t know. Minho looked at his father and shooked his head either. Mrs. Wu was about to stand up to wake up her son when they heard footsteps coming near them.

Just then, a tall man entered the dining room with a messy hair and disarranged clothes with half-open eyelids.

The tall man settled himself in his seat and greeted the people around him who were staring at him demanding him for an explanation.

“Good morning to you all. Sorry if I appeared in the dining room looking like this,” the man uttered drowsily, his eyes drooping down as he kept lifting it up.

Mr. Wu and Mrs. Wu shooked their heads and continued to eat prepared by Minho. Minho sighed and poured baby blue punch on his drink and choco-mint punch for Baekhyun.

“Seriously bro’ why are you always like this? Showing up la---“

“Shut up Minho. I don’t need your blabberings right now,” Kris growled making the younger snicker.

“Yeah, right, the eldest of the Wu family is officially a mess in the morning and is often late.” Minho scowled at him making Kris glower at him in response.

“Yah! Brat! Shut your stupid mouth and just eat!” Kris argued with Minho. Minho got pissed off and started to argue with Kris.

Baekhyun blinked and silently ate his eggs and bacons as he stared at Kris and Minho arguing at each other. His staring was cut off with Mrs. Wu patting his back.

He looked at her with a confused face. Mrs. Wu smiled and pinched his cheeks.

“Omona~ you’re so cute when you’re confused Baekhyun ah~” Mrs. Wu complimented before diverting her eyes to her sons.

“Don’t mind them and just continue to eat, my dear. I’ll be driving you to your shop and probably won’t be able to pick you up later. Could you go home by yourself later?” Mrs. Wu asked as she stared at Baekhyun waiting for his answer.

Baekhyun took his white board and write down his answer.

Yes, I can go home by myself later umma. You don’t need to worry.

Mrs. Wu smiled at him and finished off her food with Baekhyun doing the same not missing to watch the quarrel between Minho and Kris that is still ongoing.

~*~

Loosening up his tie, Chanyeol walks through the corridor with a dazed look. Lately, he has been experiencing heavy headaches and it’s worrying him that things might not be good for him and exams are coming up.

He tiredly sighs and found Jongin drinking his milk shake at the end of the hallway. He walks up to him and greeted him with a smile.

“Hey, Jongin.” Chanyeol smiles at the younger. Jongin looked up to him and gave him a thin smile.

“Hey, hyung. What’s up?” Jongin greeted back. Chanyeol shakes his head and the duo started walking.

“Nothing much. Myungsoo’s going to pick me up later but I don’t feel like it.” Chanyeol his lips and the younger nodded his head. He sips his shake before responding.

“And you want me to tell your brother that you’re not going and that he doesn’t need to pick you up, right?”

Chanyeol hummed in response and Jongin nodded his head.

“Fine, you have my back.” Jongin replied and patted Chanyeol’s back and the older smiled a bit.

“Thanks Jongin.”

“No problem.”

~*~

“Take care, Baekhyun,” Mrs. Wu uttered to Baekhyun and the latter nodded his head before smiling. He waved his hand to his mother as the car drove away. He turns around and pats his keys in his pocket. He pocketed out his keys and pushed it into the keyhole and twists it as the lock unlocks.

He takes out the lock and the chain before pushing the door and went inside. He walks inside and drops his keys on the counter before slightly dusting off the cashier.

He walks to the piano and lifts up the cover. He closes his eyes and feels the keys as he walk to the end of the small stage. He opens his eyes and breathes out.

He smiled slightly before getting off the stage. He takes the chairs down in each table. As he finished taking down the chairs down and arranging them, he went to his office.

He went to his desk and took out some files for the people who have applied. He was about to take a look when he noticed his vase. He noticed the flowers that were growing to wilt.

‘The flower is wilting…I need to change it.’

Setting his mind to get new flowers from Kyungsoo’s flower shop, He left his office, picking up his keys from the counter and went outside. He was about to lock it when someone calls out to him. He spins around and found Peniel jogging to him.

“Where are you going?” Peniel asks as he stopped in front of Baekhyun. The older mouthed ‘Kyungsoo’ and the latter nodded his head understanding what Baekhyun is going to do.

“I’ll look after the shop while you’re gone.” Peniel grins as Baekhyun nodded his head and smiled at him. Baekhyun walks off to Kyungsoo’s shop as Peniel went inside to tidy up the shop.

~*~

“Hey hyung....Do you believe at love at first sight?” Chanyeol asked Kris as he takes a sip of his fruit juice. They were at the café as Chanyeol finished his morning class and Kris decided to pick him up to have lunch with him. Kris looked at him and shrugged.

“I don’t believe on those things,” Kris answered nonchantly. Chanyeol hummed before looking outside with a dazed look.

“Well, do you believe that a person can pull you in without even trying?” Chanyeol asked once again with his fingers tapping the table. Kris looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Why are you asking things like this?” Kris asked in bewilderment. Chanyeol never asks something about love or love-related because of his past relationship. Chanyeol gazed at him that made him held his breath for awhile.

Chanyeol gazed at him emptily but Kris could see the seriousness underneath.

Chanyeol closed his eyes and sighed. He picks up his fruit juice and left a dumbfounded Kris is the café.


After getting new and different flowers from Kyungsoo and placed the White Camellia into the vase a few hours ago, Baekhyun takes his lunch.

He was at one of the tables taking a bite on his sandwich. He takes out his phone from his coat when he hears the familiar tune.

From: Kris hyung

Have you eaten Baekhyun? I’m taking my lunch now. Be sure to take your lunch!

Chuckling a bit, Baekhyun takes a bite first on his sandwich before replying.

To: Kris hyung

I’m already eating my lunch hyung. Thank you for asking. Please drop by at Xiumin’s shop to get my order. Thank you Kris hyung :)

He presses the ‘send’ before placing his phone on the table and continues to eat his lunch.

~*~

Time passes by and it was getting late. The café was tidied up already and all of Baekhyun’s employees have left and the former is the only one left. He stayed up in his shop to check on the papers and files until it was late.

After checking it for the last time, he placed the papers inside the drawer and stood up from his chair.

Stretching a bit, he picks up his phone and turns off the light in his office before locking it up from the outside. He looks around and noticed the piano. Smiling a bit to himself, he walks to the piano. Feeling the top, he lifts up the lid before settling himself on the stool.

Pressing the G key, Baekhyun closes his eyes and lets his fingers play.

~*~

Dragging his feet, Chanyeol felt extremely tired. Having to go to the ‘place’ made him so lifeless as if the ‘place’ his energy. He was heading back home when a melody struck his ears. He stopped his tracks and looked around finding where the melody is. He ran to find the source of the music until he stopped in front of a cafe. He reads the board above ‘Musicia-Café’ and looks at the door. The sign says close but there was light inside. Taking a hesitant step, Chanyeol holds the bar before pushing it. He takes a step inside and saw a boy playing the piano.

He felt his heart skip a beat once his eyes fell on the boy.

The way the boy plays the piano was incredibly beautiful. The long-slender fingers pressing the keys with eyes closed as if he was just listening to the music rather than playing it. Chanyeol couldn't help but be amazed even though he plays the piano, the boy playing the piano is a professional and he could tell it.

Unconsciously, his feet led him further inside and listened to the boy's playing that made his mind at ease and feels the emotions evoking through the music. While listening to the music, Chanyeol finds himself humming along the song.

Chanyeol stops humming as he hears the familiar tune when the song is coming to its end. He takes a step back and left, successfully making his presence unnoticed to Baekhyun but when the bell chimes echoes in his ear, Baekhyun stops playing. He looks back and found no one. He stood up and walks to the front door.

He looked outside and saw no one in particular at the road. Shrugging he looks away and went back to the piano. Putting back the lid and covering the piano with a long blanket to avoid it having dust.

Taking out his keys from his pocket, Baekhyun turns off the light before going outside. He locks up the door and pockets his phone.

He turns around and left his shop with a satisfying smile plastered on his face.

~*~

Running back home, Chanyeol slams the door behind. Myungsoo walks out from the kitchen and gave his brother a questioning look.

“Why are you late?” Myungsoo asks as Chanyeol gave him an apologetic smile.

“Sorry hyung, I didn’t notice the time while I was working. Hongki hyung only told me when he noticed that I was serving the customer a Screwdriver.” Chanyeol sheepishly grins as he told Myungsoo why he is later, who narrowed his eyes on him. After awhile, he nods his head and gestures him upstairs.

“Go take shower and come back down to eat dinner with me,” Myungsoo uttered as Chanyeol looks at him with wide eyes.

“You didn’t eat?” he asks, dumbfounded. Myungsoo grins at him as he walks to the couch and plops down.

“Nope, I waited for you. Hurry up and take a shower already,” Myungsoo replied. Chanyeol blinks before smiling.

“Thanks hyung…” he mutters as he went upstairs.

Closing the door behind him, he throws his satchel on his bed and takes out his journal from his drawer. Picking up a pen from the case, he opens up to the last page he last wrote on.

Smiling a bit on the memory, Chanyeol writes down.

Journal # 35

I saw a person playing the piano today. He was playing the piano beautifully and I can’t help but be captivated by it.

It was the same man I saw playing the piano last week. I can’t help but have the feeling to know him.

….

I want to meet him.

Placing the pen in the middle, Chanyeol closes the journal and puts it back to the drawer before going to take a shower.


A/N: Lot of revisions here XD So a lot of you have been here on AFF for a long time, huh? I see. So I'll be having my daily question here :) Thank you to those people who took their time to comment down and answer my question >< Thank you :D

Question: So far...whose your bias group and who is your bias in that group? Only one to four is allowed :)

Thank you for reading :D Lots of love <3