Hope

One path to Heaven

 

 

Seunghyun learned quite a few things from Chaerin during their car ride. Seungri held her hand while he drove and transferred her words through his own mouth. It was kind of weird at first because it was like talking to his friend but when their conversation started going deeper he forgot it quickly.

 

The angel seemed wise. Like she had been doing what she did for more than a life time. He figured it had something to do with her being an angel, but he couldn’t deny she was slightly different from Jiyong. Then again, he didn’t have a whole lot of angels to compare her with.

 

“So what’s the deal with you and that guy at the club?” He cringed at his own choice of words, remembering her sadness from earlier. If he was rude it didn’t show on her expression, she just smiled calmly at him, her already kind eyes turning into crescents. It took her a few seconds to answer and Seungri listened intently.

 

“Hong Jun is special,” Seunghyun figured that was his name. “He’s been running away from his problems rather than facing them. He robbed someone of their chance to live and then he ran from his own life, leaving his family on its own.” That surprised him. The angels helped murderers as well? Maybe everyone really got a second chance. The first part kind of sounded like himself, he mused silently.

 

“Then why don’t you show yourself to him?”

 

“He’s not ready yet, if I show myself too early it might be a disadvantage.” Seunghyun chuckled at that, thinking she sounded like a psychologist. Maybe Chaerin was planning on making the guy confess and atone for his sins. That seemed reasonable and pretty fitting for an angel. Now he was more curious about Jiyong though. He cleared his throat while stopping for a red light.

 

“Uh, so do you know Jiyong well?” It kind of irked him that Seungri had to listen to their chat. He would rather speak with her alone but they didn’t have time for that. Chaerin nodded, a smirk appeared on her face that showed a slightly playful side that surprised both of the men.

 

“He’s like my little brother though he never listens to me,” She laughed soundlessly. “The only angel he listens to is High angel Daesung, and I’m a High angel too.”

 

“High angel? What’s that?” Seungri piped up.

 

“We’ve been servants of God for more than a hundred centuries and that leaves us in charge of other angels in training, like Jiyong.” Now he knew why Chaerin seemed so wise, she must’ve been more than a thousand years old. Luckily she didn’t look that way.

 

“Then Jiyong is young?”

 

“If you call a 150 years ‘young’ then yes, I suppose.” Seunghyun had to laugh at the disbelief in Seungri’s voice as he spoke.

 

“He certainly doesn’t act his age.” He could hear his friend mutter silently, watching the angel grin widely.

 

They kept the mood light, talking about angels and everything unknown to them. It was as if they were trying to avoid their current problem until they actually had to focus on it. Or so Seunghyun thought at least, he wondered if that was just him thinking too much. Then again, Seungri was always the blunt one.

 

“What will you do with Jiyong?”

 

Chaerin directed her attention to Seungri and seemed deep in thought. Seunghyun urged him to say what she told him quickly.

 

“I don’t know yet, I have to see him first. Usually it takes a couple of days for angel’s physical bodies to disappear but we can’t save them because we’re unable to track them down when their powers are gone.” The younger man spoke hurriedly, stumbling on his own words sometimes. “But since you have Jiyong close by we might just be able to save him, although it might be difficult.”

 

Those words made Seunghyun breathe a sigh of relief now that he knew there was a way for him to see Jiyong’s blinding smile again. Just the thought made him a little restless and unknowingly he drove faster, wanting to reach home quickly.

 

 

Before they reached the front door after arriving at the parking lot, Chaerin pulled them both over and held their hands with a serious look on her face. This expression was also unfamiliar and Seunghyun felt a bit intimidated.

 

“I’m going to do everything I can,” Her soft voice sounded stern in his head. “But I need you to stay quiet and not interrupt unless you are spoken to. I need to concentrate, that’s all.” The two men nodded hastily before they went inside. Seunghyuns head was filled with whirling thoughts and emotions when he reached the bedroom. Jiyong was still lying in exactly the same position he left him in, eyes half lidded and empty, skin white and the grey hair smooth on his head. He hoped that when Jiyong woke up his hair would also turn back.

 

Chaerin carefully made her way to sit on the edge of the bed next to Jiyong’s arms with a smile. In his head he was silently praying for this to work, hoping that his wishes would be heard even though an angel was currently right in front of him. When the angel raised her hand to cup Jiyong’s cheek her smile disappeared, leaving only a blank expression. It made him want to ask her what was wrong but Seungri shot him a look that reminded him of what she said earlier about them staying quiet.

 

About ten tense minutes passed before Chaerin reached out her hand without tearing her gaze away from the sleeping boy. Hesitantly, Seunghyun grabbed it. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to know what she was about to say or not.

 

“We still have some time, I’m going to try using my own powers to restore his.” Seunghyun’s lips quirked slightly upwards. “You two can step outside and busy yourselves with something, this might take a while.” She let go of his hand and returned her focus to Jiyong. A minute passed while he watched her closing her eyes and resting her hand on his chest. To avoid letting his mind go blank he shook his head and ushered Seungri outside despite his protests.

 

“What, what the hell?”

 

“She said it’s gonna take a while, we might as well do something else so we don’t disturb her.” A moment passed until the younger man reluctantly nodded, chewing on his lower lip. The two friends started making food, watching television, reading books, whatever might distract them from the faint glow coming from the bedroom. Curiosity was killing them both, they wanted badly to know what was going on.

 

 

It was getting late, or maybe early, and Seunghyun gulped down his third coffee, starting to get sick of the bitter taste burning his throat. Seungri was almost dozing off on the couch while he made toast to keep himself busy. He was honestly becoming bored of drinking coffee and smoking and the younger man was too tired to even entertain him. Anything else than doing physical activity had him too restless so he ended up making a lot of food that he probably wouldn’t eat in the end.

 

“Hyung, how do you think she’s doing? It’s been like four hours or something.” Seungri whined, closing his eyes and letting his head drop backwards off the edge of the couch.

 

“I don’t know, let’s check up on her in thirty minutes.” He couldn’t deny it, he was still dying to run inside the bedroom and disturb their peace. Then again he had to act like an adult just this once. He stood by the window after putting the toast away, staring idly at the road even though there were no cars at this hour. The sun was starting to show itself, the streets slightly brightening as they waited.

 

They both perked up when silent shuffling and a door opening could be heard. Chaerin walked in looking tired but Seunghyun didn’t pay much attention to her wellbeing. He hurried to her and grabbed her hand, startling the angel and making her look up.

 

“How is he?”

 

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t do much,” There was a bitterness to her voice and Seunghyun felt something drop inside him. “I don’t have enough power to wake him up.”

 

The small flicker of hope he had inside disappeared at her words and he felt himself turning desperate. There had to be something they could do, even if he had to go find the demon himself. A soft hand on his shoulder snapped him back to reality and he reminded himself to calm down, softening the hold on her hand so he didn’t crush her.

 

“Isn’t there anything else we can try?” He tried weakly. Chaerin looked at him with sympathy before she squeezed his hand reassuringly.

 

“There is,” The two of them followed her into the bedroom again and Seunghyun was a little pleased to see that Jiyong wasn’t quite as pale as before. “I’m going to call for help and you will see something you’re not supposed to see. If my plan works.”

 

Seunghyun felt what little hope he lost return slowly but he forced himself to not become too excited, quelling the squirming in his gut.

 

“Please, stay quiet against the wall, I need some space.”

 

The sun hadn’t quite reached the house yet, leaving the room dark but light enough that they could see what the angel was doing. They did as they were told and moved against the wall quietly, not really knowing what to expect. Seungri glanced at him quickly before they both braced themselves. Chaerin became quiet in her movements but Seunghyun could still see her lips moving. She was doing the same thing he saw Jiyong doing a while ago, talking to someone. It was a strange sight, her talking but no sound emerging. Nothing happened for a while and he was starting to think this was all a trick, at least the rational part of his brain told him so. But then the rom lit up, becoming too bright for him to not squeeze his eyes shut and look away. It was still completely silent though, except for the gasps escaping their mouth and slow shuffling sounds before them.

 

When he found it safe enough to attempt to open his eyes he noticed the room was brighter. He took a moment to look around and wonder how the hell it was possible when no lights were . Maybe I passed out, he wondered to himself.

 

“W-who-” Seungri started but was unable to finish, his voice high pitched in surprise. Seunghyun blinked and looked at Chaerin who was standing calmly in front of them. However Chaerin was no longer the only one in the room. On the other side of the bed two other men were standing and Seunghyun startled at the sight.

 

One of them was dressed up in a fancier version of what he saw Jiyong arrive in when they first met. The man also had blonde hair, a kind, bright smile and wings as well. He was much taller than the other man who probably was about as tall as Chaerin but he couldn’t quite tell because of his black Mohawk. There was something slightly different about the other man though and Seunghyun couldn’t pinpoint it. He was definitely well built and carried some sort of spear in his right hand. It made him look more intimidating compared to the other angel. He too had white wings which made it clear that he was an angel as well.

 

Both he and Seungri looked at each other when the tall blonde suddenly started speaking. How was it that they could hear him speak, what in the world was he? His voice was kind, almost laughing as he spoke. It wasn’t dark like Seunghyun’s but not too high pitched either.

 

“High angel Chaerin, who are those two behind you?” Seunghyun gulped, feeling nervous for the first time. The smaller man with the Mohawk stepped forward, his face still stuck in an analyzing expression. Seunghyun almost stumbled when Chaerin spoke, her voice clear as his own voice unlike earlier. They weren’t even within touching distance.

 

“These men are Jiyong’s friends, they came to me asking for help.” With that the shorter man stepped back with a calm look on his face, no longer eyeing them as intently as before.

 

“I see,” The blonde turned his attention to them before fixing his eyes directly at Seunghyun. “My name is Daesung and this friend is Youngbae.” 

 

The words escaped his throat but he tried to speak, swallowing dryly and straightening his shoulders. He felt nervous because the angel was staring directly into his eyes as if he knew everything about him and could see straight through his soul.

 

“I… this is Seungri, and I’m Seunghyun.” He felt stupid, he didn’t even know what he was saying anymore.

 

“Nice to meet you, Seungri.” The High angel smiled warmly. “I already know you, Seunghyun, thank you for taking care of our Jiyong.” Seunghyun blinked, not really knowing what he should be feeling. The way Daesung carried himself made him seem on a whole different level than Chaerin. Also Youngbae looked like his bodyguard.

 

“I’m the gatekeeper, sort of like a guardian that prevents demons from entering and angels from falling.” Youngbae finally spoke with a smile, his voice as kind as Daesung’s and Seunghyun was slightly taken aback.

 

“So, you’re angels too? Is this a prank?” Seungri looked bewildered as he stepped forward hesitantly. “Why can we hear you speak now?”

 

“That is just High Angel Daesung’s presence. A barrier has been created within this room.” His questions were answered by Chaerin. “That is why this is a risk, every demon in the world would want to have their claws on the High angel’s power.”

 

“That’s why I’m here as well.” Youngbae’s eyes turned into crescents when he smiled and Seunghyun was starting to feel safer than he’s ever been.

 

“Thanks to Chaerin I will be able to give Jiyong his powers back but it will take some time for him to fully recover,” The blonde spoke, looking at the sleeping angel. “I hope you will take good care of him until he regains his strength.” It sounded like a request Seunghyun would be more than happy to fulfill.

 

“Of course, I’ll do anything.” He let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding. Suddenly Daesung started moving towards him, brushing past Chaerin and stood in front of him with a serious look on his face. Now he was scared.

 

“Before you think of Jiyong I would like you to take care of yourself first and foremost,” He spoke softly while Seunghyun straightened his back. “Jiyong is only here to help you and the more difficult you are, the harder it will be for Jiyong to return to us.” He felt slightly offended, did the guy think he kept Jiyong here on purpose? Maybe he wanted to but Jiyong was free to do whatever he wanted to do. There was something they didn’t tell him and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know.

 

“You’re the one that matters, Seunghyun, Jiyong is only here to help you.” Daesung withdrew with another smile. It made him slightly angry but he felt conflicted because the angel was being wholeheartedly kind to him and it made him feel bad for thinking they were the wrong ones. While he stood deep in thought Seungri ceased the opportunity to reach out and touch his wing, making the angels laugh.

 

“Sorry I just wanted to know how soft they were…” The younger man was embarrassed and retreated next to Seunghyun with a small blush that was barely visible. Daesung managed to convince him to feel the feathers again with a smile and reassuring words that spurred him on. It was a humorous situation and Seunghyun would have laughed along with them if the previous words from the angel weren’t nagging in the back of his mind. He looked at Jiyong’s sleeping form with a frown.

 

“Now, I have to tend to Jiyong.”

 

“Thank you, High angel.” Chaerin smiled before walking over and standing next to Seunghyun. Like before it would take some time before he finished and Seunghyun still had some questions he decided to fire at the angel while Daesung did his magic. Youngbae was looking out the window in silence as if he watched something even though there was nothing there. Seunghyun chewed on his lower lip before speaking.

 

“You said this was risky?” He kept his voice low so he wouldn’t interrupt anything. Daesung was currently bent over Jiyong with a hand on his chest, the same way Chaerin did earlier.

 

“Yes, High angel Daesung has a lot of power compared to me. Demons can smell him from far away and he rarely steps down on earth unless it’s an absolute emergency. If something happens to him I can only imagine what kind of disaster would occur.”

 

“Then how did you manage to convince him?”

 

“Jiyong is dear to him, even though everyone is, Jiyong is a special friend. I told him to bring the gatekeeper and if he hurried he would be able to return quickly because I already used my powers on Jiyong.” Seunghyun nodded slowly at her words, letting them sink in. This time he didn’t want to leave the room and opted to stand watch whatever was happening. To him it only looked like he was resting his hand on Jiyong but surely something else he couldn’t understand was happening as well. If he asked he probably would be unable to comprehend so he stayed quiet, waiting impatiently for something to happen.

 

Youngbae joined them on the other side of the room after a while and started chatting with Seungri. They talked animatedly to his surprise, Youngbae explaining everything he asked about and before he realized it, he was listening in as well. Both Daesung and Youngbae could probably pass for normal humans, he mused to himself while imagining the two of them walking on the streets.

 

What was probably the longest fifty minutes of his life passed before Daesung leaned back with a sigh and turned towards them. Seunghyun tried to stop himself from jumping up and down impatiently, wanting to know what he had to say before he even opened his mouth.

 

Daesung’s wide smile returned and he felt warmth radiating from him.

 

“All is well, Jiyong will come to his senses soon.” The words relieved him so much that his knees almost buckled and he laughed at himself. Jiyong had closed his eyes now, the hair was back to its striking blonde color and his skin was slightly flushed.

 

“It’s best I take my leave now,” The blonde had a slight relief in his voice as well and Seunghyun figured he was happy to save his friend too. “Chaerin, will you join me? I want to discuss something with you, regarding Hong Jun.” He gestured for her to follow him as if it was not a request, and she willingly walked next to him. Seunghyun was happy, confused but happy. He said his thanks, bowing many times in unison with Seungri.

 

“Will we see you again?” The younger boy asked hurriedly, watching them fade the same way as Jiyong’s wings did. It was like the warmth in the room disappeared but they were still left with a good feeling because of everything that happened.

 

“Of course,” Daesung smiled just as Chaerin turned around.

 

“Remind Jiyong to thank me,” she laughed a melodic laugh and Seunghyun chuckled as well. The blinding white light appeared again and when the two boys opened their eyes, they were gone, the morning sun being the only source of light in the small bedroom.

 

 

To be continued...

 

A/N: Whoooo is Hong Jun? Guess who! It's a real person, I swear. Sorry for being slow, there is much cuteness coming up from now on. Also I've been having a real bad week so I had to pause my writing a little, please cheer me up... I am so sad right now. But anyway, thank you very much for reading and commenting and subscribing, you guys are still the best!!