Chapter 4

Catch & Fall

 

The next day in school was friday, and Yoha didn't show up. Maybe she was mad at me? Maybe she felt ashamed of herself. Maybe I did embarass her in public.. Maybe she was hurt, I don't know. I didn't see her all day which was quite relaxing. Somehow, I still feel guilty about it, knowing that I was the reason of her leave of absence in school.
 
Today's finally a weekend. I have nothing to do so I woke up early for a morning jog. While jogging in the park, the thoughts of the past incident between me and Yoha kept showing up in mind. Like it was haunting me. I keep seeing her crying face.
 
Mom was right after all. Guys should never hurt girls. It brings men nothing but misery.
 
I was running on the whole place when I suddenly slowed down on my pace and noticed somebody sitting on one of the benches. Someone awfully familiar, that turned out to be Yoha. She's alone, sitting on the park bench with her earphones on. She's staring blankly on the view of the river in her own peaceful bubble. At first, I was thinking maybe I should just continue jogging before she notices me. But I had the urge to stop and talk to her. After all, it was her who looked stupid in public, and ended up crying on her way home. 
 
I quietly sat beside her and saw her startle a bit because of my sudden presence. I knew I was sneaky.
She looked at me surprised. She tried to open and to say something but nothing came out so I decided to talk first.
 
"Hey.." I greeted casually, trying to make things seem light. I don't care if she's mad. Okay maybe I do, and it's okay if she screams at me. I just need to patch things up with her. "Uhh, hey." She replied. 
 
"Uhmm, so I didn't see you at school yesterday." I started the conversation and looked away. I'm pretty sure she knows where this is going, but I have got to have the guts to apologize right here, right now. No matter how awkward this is.. 
 
"Yeah.. Uhmm. I had uhm.. asthma." She replied, quite whispering the last part, but I was still able to hear. That hit me. She had an asthma attack because of crying.. Because of what I said.. Because of me. Now I feel even more guilty. Taking Dongwoo's advice wasn't good after all..
 
"It's because of me, isn't it?" I asked, even though I already know the answer. She didn't reply and continue to look at the river. "You know.. I honestly didn't want to ask for an apology at all, before.. But each and everytime I remember the words I spat that day, and I can't help but feel guilty. So.. I'm... I'm sorry." I said. 
 
Yoha still doesn't look at me but she replied, "Don't.." And then she shook her head. 
 
 
 ** It was my fault. Everything was my fault. I deserve to hear those words from you, I should be the one saying sorry. **
 
 
She looked down at her lap and bit her bottom lip. When she looked up, I saw her red eyes, meaning her tears are threatening to fall again. Then she looked at me and smiled. "Sorry Woohyun- ah.. I didn't mean to make you feel that way." She said.
 
"I'm sorry about what I said. And I'm sorry that you had to skip classes yesterday because of crying.. because of me." I replied.
 
Silence lingered between the two of us after what I said. It was awkward. None of us dared to talk. Yoha just stared at the river again.While I ended up staring at her. Her hands were holding her phone tightly, and her eyes are still puffy. I should've known something like this would happen. I was just really mad that time, and made my anger over power me. Next time, I should probably be careful with my words.
 
 
 
"Why do you like me? I mean, what did you find in me to like me so much?" I asked her out of no where.
 
Yoha seemed to be taken a back with my question, and she laughed a bit but managed to answer.
"What's not to like?"
 
I shook my head and laughed in disbelief. She chuckled as well and somehow, the awkwardness evaporated in the thin air.. 
 
"Woohyun, when will you admit that you like me too?" She asked jokingly.
 
This time, I was the one taken a back, but I was happy that she's in her normal self again. I've been her good ol' mate for so many years, and I've been with her since junior high so it's obvious to me when she's being her usual self or not. I looked at her with my mouth opened and she started laughing. For sure, she was playing with me that time so I just laughed along. "Never.." I replied jokingly. She nudged me on my elbow and said, "Yah!"
 
I chuckled at her expression. Her emotions just practically changed 180 degrees. But I felt relieved. "So I'll be seeing you in school on Monday." I said as I finally stood up, preparing to go home. She nodded and smiled. "I'll be going as well. Bye Woohyun."
 
I waved her goodbye as she entered her car. I finally lost the guilty feeling that has been bugging me after what I did to her.