Chapter 12

Catch & Fall

 

It was a Sunday and I decided to pay my sister a visit. She was in the hospital. Not because she was sick, but because she was one of the resident doctors in there. When I got there, she was surprised and happy to see me at the same time. My sister was my defender when we were young. She was my bestfriend, and with just one look, she already knows that there's something wrong with me.
 
"Yah, I haven't seen you in a while! Have you been eating? How come you look so pale and thin?" She asked, but more like nagged. I laughed at her and replied, "I'm okay! I just wanted to see you right now." She hugged me again and then we sat down. Since my sister was a resident doctor, she has her own clinic in the hospital, where her patients could come to her personally. There were no patients that time so we enjoyed bonding. 
 
"How have you been Woohyun- ah?" She asked, looking all concerned. "Tired. But, I'm okay!" I smiled. "How's school?" She asked again. "School is school." I replied. "Woohyun- ah, you do know that I know you too well.. Should I squeeze it out of you, or would you mind telling me what's wrong?" 
 
This time, she caught me off guard. I just sighed and smiled. "It's about a girl, isn't it?" She asked and I chuckled. "Mind reader." She shook her head and looked at me. "Tell me all about it." I told her my story but I never actually mentioned Yoha's name. My sister listened to me while I was sharing her my story. When I finally stopped, she hugged me and heaved a heavy sigh. "You know' there's this saying that if you love her, set her free. And when maybe you'll get lucky, she'll come flying back to you. If she did come back, then she's yours forever." She said as she patted my back. I felt relieved and teared up. "What hurts the most... Is that I never got the chance to prove her that I love her.." I croaked. 
 
We both stopped when somebody came inside her office. Her assistant.
 
"Oh, I'm sorry for ruining the moment between the two of you. But Miss Park is already in the waiting room." She said. "Miss Park?" I looked at my sister and asked. She nodded. Then came that familiar figure that I've been longing to see. Yoha. It was her. But why is she in my sister's clinic? When she came in, we were both shocked to see each other. With wide eyes, she looked at me and asked, "W-Woohyun?? What are you doing here?" My sister looked at the two of us and said "Oh, looks like you two know each other!" I looked at my sister and mouthed 'It's her..' And formed an 'O'..
 
I looked at Yoha and noticed that she was holding a present in her hand. She looked at the present as well and looked back at me. "Oh, Doctor Nam Chae-in is a good friend of mine, and I decided to pay her a visit. Right Miss Nam?" She looked at my sister and my sister nodded. "Yah! I told you to just call me unnie!" My sister nagged and Yoha giggled. Then she looked at me and said, "I didn''t know you were her brother.. I only realized-- Oh. Yeah, your surnames are the same. Didn't notice that before." She chuckled at her own mistake. "Anyway, I guess I'll just be seeing you next time Mis- I mean Unnie! I'll be going now!" She said and made her way out of the clinic, but before she could go farther, my feet ordered me to run after her, and so I did.
 
"Yoha, can we talk? Please?" I begged. She looked at me and gave me a nod. We headed towards the park. Children were playing, running here and there, so we decided to just sit on a bench where there are only few people. When we got there, we were both awfully quiet. I decided to man- up and break the ice. "How are you?" I asked. "I'm.. fine." She replied and gave me a weak smile. "Hey, did you lose weight?" I asked her when I noticed that she became really thin. She looked at me and laughed,
"Look who's talking! You're as thin as a bamboo!" I laughed at her comment. I missed hearing her laughter. I missed seeing her smiling face. I wish I could stop time. I wish I could always see her like this. 
 
When she stopped laughing, I had the chance to ask her the question that I've been longing to ask her, "Why did you suddenly leave?" Her expressions became different. She looked in a different direction and sighed. "Have you read all my letters?" She asked, trying to change the topic. I took a deep breath and nodded. "Hey, you know what, I just realized that that wasn't the last letter I wrote for you." She said. I looked at her and furrowed my eyebrows. She opened her bag and handed me an envelope, the one that looks like her other letters that she would give me before. I felt a heavy feeling in my heart when I held the letter in my hand. I was about to open the envelope when she protested, "Andwae.. Don't read it in front of me." She chuckled nervously. "Maybe this letter will answer all of your questions.." I gave her a puzzled look. "I hate to say this, but I really have to go now." She said and stood up. I looked at her and asked, "So I'll see you again next time?" 
 
She smiled at me and replied, "You know where to find me" And with that, she walked away.