Chapter 16

Catch & Fall

 

Today, like what I would always do after school, I planned to visit Yoha again. Jae-Jae, Kara and Hana decided to come with me. They were some of the girls that became Yoha's friends when she was still in school. The news about Yoha's condition had been already found out in school. Everyone felt shivers down their spine when they heard about it. Even the enemies that Yoha had made before felt a pang of guilt inside their hearts.
 
Dongwoo knew everything about this already. I have told him everything about Yoha and I. I told him what we were going through. Being a good best friend he is, he never left my side and had always had my back. Dongwoo decided to come along with us as well.
 
When I opened Yoha's door, I tried hard to stop myself from running to her and hugging her tight. She welcomed us with a very heart- warming smile, which I gladly returned. "Hey," she greeted. Here three friends started crying when they saw how thin Yoha became and how pale her face looks. Even Dongwoo teared up when she saw Yoha. "I know we're not really that close before... I'm sorry but I just can't help myself." Dongwoo said while sniffing. Yoha just smiled at her and said, "It's okay. You don't have to say sorry.." Her friends held her hand and hugged her. I just watched them and decided to stand a few spaces away. I couldn't let myself come close to her because I knew I would be doing the exact same thing. I promised myself that I would not cry in front of her because Yoha told me that she wants to see me smiling, always. She said my smile gives her hope everyday. Her smile does exactly the same thing to me.
 
"We missed you. I'm sorry that we have only visited you just now.. I'm such a bad friend!"
 Kara said. Yoha just shook her head and smiled. "I'm sorry if I left without saying anything." Yoha replied. "It's okay. We understand. I know how hard this is for you.. But we'll be here no matter what." Jae-jae answered. "Just tell us if you need anything, okay? If you need us, just call us and we'll come here right away." Hana assured. "Thank you." Yoha answered.
 
Dongwoo, who had been seating there beside her also assured her that he'll be there for her too, which made Yoha smile. "You all don't know how thankful and happy you made me today." She said. "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. I don't want to see you all crying because of me.." She added. "Yoha- ah.. How can we stop crying if we're seeing you like this?" Jae-jae said. Yoha just pulled her into a hug and patted her back. "I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me. It makes me sad and guilty whenever I see someone crying because of me. I want to see you all smiling. I don't want to see those unhappy faces, okay?" She pulled off from the hug and looked at all of us. We all just nodded as a response and tried hard to smile.
 
Yoha's friends, Dongwoo, and I had spent more time talking to her. We decided not to talk about her situation right now, and tried to make her laugh instead. That's the only thing we all wanted to do for her. Make her happy.
 
Soon, it's time for all of them to leave because Yoha needs her rest already. All her friends and Dongwoo have already left but I decided to stay a little longer. "You're not going home yet? You must be tired.. You should rest too.." She said. I sat beside her and held her hand. "Ani, don't you want me to sing you to sleep?" I asked. She smiled at me and said, "I'd love to.." 
 
Again, I sang the song that she would always want to hear. She said it keeps her calm and happy. She told me that my voice is very soothing for her. If I could sing to her all the time, I will. Even if I lose my voice, no matter how high the notes are, I won't get tired of singing for her..
 
I have already finished the song and noticed that Yoha is still awake. "Are you okay?" I asked. She gave me weak nod. "Didn't my voice sound good?" "Ani, it sounds better and better everytime." I smiled and thanked her. She sighed and suddenly asked, "Woohyun?" "Hmm?" 
 
"Have you ever dreamt of being a singer?" I shook my head and let out a small chuckle. "I never dreamt of being a singer before.. But now, I've always wanted to sing for you." She smiled. "How about you, can you tell me your dreams?" I asked. She giggled and replied, "This may sound funny.. but I have always dreamed to be with you." My mouth opened agape which made her giggle more. I laughed along and scratched the back of my head. "Will you do me a favor Woohyun- ah?" "Anything."
 
"Will you stay here tonight?" She asked. I nodded in an instant. She patted the space beside her and I lied down beside her. I wrapped my arms in her tiny waist as she snuggled her face on my chest. 
 
"Yoha- ah.."
 
"Hmm?"
 
"Will you do me a favor as well?"
 
"What favor?" She asked in a very confused tone. 
 
I heaved a sigh and searched her eyes. I've thought about this before.. The time when I heard about the crucial truth.. I've already thought this through. I don't care what other people will say.. I just know that this is what I want.
 
"Marry me."