Chapter 2

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

           So this is what it’s like flying First Class. The seats are wide and amazingly soft. There’s a blanket and a large pillow along with comfy footrest unlike the metal bar in economy. You sigh as you rest your head against the pillow. Chips is with his group of sparkly men in a different section of First Class. It was nice of his manager to buy an extra ticket just in case. You assume that he bought one because Chips would probably lose his tickets in the trashcan or something. You're in the middle row, sadly no window seat, but it is honestly perfect. The seat to the left of you is empty and to the right is the aisle. You smile and take out your Ipod, put on your headphones and sleep.

               There’s a light tapping on your shoulder.

               “Whu…” You were just sleeping and probably had drool crusted on your cheeks. You look up to see Chips looking down at you.

               “Dinner’s going to be served soon, you should wake up. If you need anything I’m at 23B” He bites his lips, nods once with the same blank expression and walks off. Freak.

               Dinner is great, better than the economy trash. It still made you want to vomit, airplane food always makes you vomit, but much less than usual. So great food it is! You have a ritual on plane rides. After eating you get up and walk around the plane looking like you need to go somewhere, but in reality your just wandering around stretching out your legs. Thank god the ride from Indonesia to Incheon isn’t that long, but still, your legs cramp up easily so a walk is needed. You wander aimlessly through the plane. You go to economy and smile, this place smells. You continue to smirk at the poor fellows of economy and walk around. You walk till you reach the end of the plane and pretend to look lost and turn around and head back to your seat.

               Chips is sitting at your seat, arms crossed, back slouching into the seat, mouth slightly in a pout but dazed nonetheless. You poke him, him being in his usual dazed trance. He sharply looks up at you and gets up and sits to the seat left of yours.

               “Where were you?”

               “Oh. Just walking around.” He nods and doesn’t speak for the next few minutes.

               “So. What’s your name? So far I have Doritos, Chips, and Yixing.”

               “Oh. Lay.”

               “Yixing?”

               “Yes?” He looks at you like you were calling him. You stare at him.

               “What’s Zhang Yixing then?”

               “Oh. That’s my name.”

               “What’s…Lay then.”

               “My stage name.”

               "Can I just call you Chips? Sorry but, Lay is really damn awkward." He stares at you blankly and you stare back pitifully. 

               “You don’t talk much do you?”

               The corners of his mouth twitch up. He gets up from the seat and leaves, leaving you to regain your seat. A minute later he comes back wearing a beanie and carrying an eye mask and a large stuffed panda. He sits down next to you and takes out the pillow from underneath the seat. He then puts on his eye mask and leans against the pillow while holding onto his panda. His mouth remains in a slight smile. He’s snoring in a matter of minutes. 

....Freak.

----------------------------------------------

               A few minutes in, you realize you’re staring at Chip. Half of his face is consumed by the pillow while the other half is visible. He clutches the panda tightly at first but soon it falls from his grip and lands on the floor where he goes on to snuggle his foot into the plush animal. His entire body rhythmically moves up and down with each deep breath. He inhales through his mouth and exhales through his nose, making a slight whistle at every exhale. Wow, he makes more noise asleep than awake.

              Seeing that he was asleep you decide to take a rest also. There were 3 more hours till you would reach Incheon and you wouldn’t have much time to rest once you arrived. The second you lay your head against the pillow and close your eyes you sense shifting next to you. Chip gets up from his seat and  blinks, he looks utterly confused as to why he suddenly got up. The idiot twirls around for a bit wondering why he got up, when he suddenly jerks. He then tells you he needs to use the restroom and tries to exit the seats.

               Now you never understood airplane etiquette.  When you are with a stranger and want to move out into the aisle, how do you get out? With the ? That’s disrespectful with your back turned, and usually quite disturbing. Or do you give them the crotch, which is just plain awkward.

               Lay uses the . Now let’s clear everything up. You are not a -kinda-girl. You don’t find butts attractive, for example, you don’t understand why girls think butts are cute, and want to grab their boyfriend’s all the time. No, that’s creepy. So in a perfect world you could say that when Lay turned his back towards you and waddled out into the aisle your eyes did not drift down and stare at the cute little bum wiggling its way out. But you aren’t in a perfect world, and Chip was seriously starting to make you question yourself.  He comes back soon and wiggles through frontside facing you. You take great self-control to stare at your hands and not anything else while he gets back to his seat.

               “I don’t think I ever got your name.” he asked.

               You tell him your name and he repeats, enunciating each syllable. He looks at you questionably and you nod back at him. Then he starts firing.

               “Why were you in Indonesia?”

               “Oh, just vacationing.”

               “So you live in Korea, you don’t look Korean.”

               “Oh, I live in America.”

               “Your Korean is pretty good. Maybe even better than mine.” 

               “I…uh... a friend taught me when I was younger.” Back in middle school you were a Kpop fangirl. Looking back you just cringe at the crazy things you did, such as staying up all night for live streams, saving money to buy band merch, learning an entire language. Learning Korean was useful, but really random and hard to explain why. You weren’t going to admit that you were a fangirl in your past life to Chips. 

               “So are you vacationing in Korea too?”

           “Oh no, my friend is getting married in Incheon.”  You haven’t talked to your friend in quite a while, so receiving a wedding invitation was random to say the least. You didn’t even know about her relationship with her fiancé and you felt a bit awkward going to the wedding, but to say that her friend pleaded for you to come is an understatement. You could practically see her begging on her knees from hearing her on the phone.

             “Oh.”

             “Yea.”

             “Are you alone?”

             “Yes…”

             He cocked his head and smiled, “No boyfriend?”

            What. Did he just ask you if you had a boyfriend? Uhm... you didn’t have one, but, did Chips just seriously ask you if you had a boyfriend. Do you just say no, or, yes. Why would you say yes though? That’s just being stupid and…idiotic. Is he ing flirting with you? He is smirking. What. Omigod. No. You cannot have some random singer/idol/popstar flirting with you. That’s just not acceptable. Holy . Your brain is shutting down. Holy . What. Do. You. Do.

              “I’m guessing it’s complicated.”

              “Oh. No. I don’t.”

              “Have a boyfriend.”

              “Yes.”

              “As in…”

              “I don’t have one.” You mutter under your breath. He leans back on his seat and nods staring at the seat in front of him. Oh god. Is he-

              “You know, I have a friend…Jo-Chen. I think you two would totally hit it off.” What. So he’s just hooking me up?

              “Oh, I’m not interested.”          

              He turns to you an straightens his back. “But honestly, you two are really alike.”

              “Oh. I’ll…take that into consideration.”

              “Do you want to meet him?” He’s at the edge of his seat, eyes sparkling with excitement.

              “Uh. No.” He stares at you blankly for what seems to be forever, but then his eyebrows close into a tight line as if he just realized your rejection. He does what you can loosely call a glare because in all honesty it was too cute to be called a glare. He retreats back to his seat and goes to sleep.

----------------------------------------------

              Attention all passengers, 10 minutes till landing. The attendant’s voice on the intercom booms out. You look next to you and Chips is still sleeping, you don't bother to wake him up. You start to clean up the area around you and put away your blankets and pillows. You see a guy walking down the aisle frantically looking for someone. He reaches your row and he sighs, sounding relieved. He begins to reach over to Chips when he suddenly realizes that he’s reaching over you.

              “Oh, sorry noona. I need to wake up my friend.”  You wordlessly get up and stand in the aisle as the man gets into your seat and starts to violently shake Chips. Chips wakes up looking completely disoriented, making him all the more cute. Ugh. What happened to him being an idiot? You mentally slap yourself. Chips then snaps into focus and jerks up quickly. The guy starts laughing and Chips just pouts. He then notices you standing in the aisle and looks back at his friend. His eyes widen and he smiles wide.

              He grabs his friends hand and pulls him into the aisle. You finally take notice of the guy. The first and only thing that popped into your mind was cheekbones. Holy cheekbones. You sigh to yourself. Chips and his merry band of amazingly good looking men.

              “So this is Chen.” He points at the guy and you take great self-control to not drop your mouth. This was the guy that Chips wanted you to hook up with. He introduces you to Chen while he just impatiently forces a smile and nods.

              “Yi-Lay, we have to get to our seats, we land in a few minutes.” Consequently a flight attendant comes up to us and asks up to sit down and prepare for landing. Chips pouts and lets out a little humph.

              “Well. I guess it was nice meeting you.” You smile back at him and he nods; he then waves and runs off with Chen. You sit back down and look at Chips’s seat. The blanket was on the floor and the pillow was completely flattened and a bit wet from drool, no question. You pick up the blanket, and put it underneath his seat when you spot something under the seat. His panda.

My. ing. God.

----------------------------------------------

             You quickly grab the panda and begin to take off your seatbelt when the intercom rings out. Attention all passengers. Please fasten your seatbelts, we are clear for landing. You look up helplessly and look back at your aisle. There was a flight attendant coming to check if everyone was fastened. . You panic while the attendant passes by. Only after she disappears into the next section do you realize that you could have asked to deliver the panda to seat 23B. You mentally slap yourself and cling onto the panda as the plane begins to descend.

              You leave holding the panda. You might as well keep it, since it is quite adorable. Maybe even sell it on eBay and make a fortune since some famous guy drooled on it. You leave the airport and wait at the gates for a taxi. You spot security guards once again, except this time with a swarm of girls surrounding them. You suddenly spot Chips and his friends, without thinking you begin to run towards him with his panda.

              You yell out his name, but then you realize that you’re competing with a bunch of squealy fangirls to get the attention of any member. You could see Chips constantly making hearts and hanging his head in shame as if fanservice was a pain to him. You keep trying to get his attention but to no avail. Then you realize that you’re calling him Lay. You then start to yell out Chips, but instead of Chips looking, you catch the attention of Chen. You wave the panda at him and his eyes widen. He whispers to the security guard next to him.

              The security guard suddenly grabs you and starts dragging you off. You tell him that you have Lay’s panda and he looks at you and nods. He takes you to a back building where you stand for a few minutes. You tell him that your luggage is in the front of the airport and he uses his radio to retrieve your luggage.

             You then see Chips and his manager come around the corner. Chips run up to you. He stops in front of you and hangs his head.

            “Thank you so much.” You clench your jaw and pull your eyebrows in; you reluctantly hand him his panda.

            “I…I need to stop forgetting things don’t I?” 

            “Yes you do.” You can’t help but smile.

            “How long are you in Korea for?”

            “2 weeks about. A week for me to just explore, then the wedding, then I’m off.”

            “I’m free for a month in Korea. Then we go back to China for new promotions. You should call me.” He then takes out his phone and gives it to you. He then holds out his hand. You look at him with confusion but he answers with ‘number.’ You give him your phone and you input your cell number as he does the same. He takes his phone back and takes a picture of you while you were distracted, looking at his contact. You probably look terrible, but you are never going to call him, so it isn’t too big of a worry.

            All the while, his manager glares at you and soon he comes over and pats Chips on the back. 

            “Lay, time to go.” Chips smiles and waves at you. He yells a final awkwardly english thank you and walks off with his manager.