Chapter 8

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

                You sleep okay. The room gets extremely cold and you’re lucky you have Yixing’s sweater, but the blankets were sheet thin and the pillow was hard as a rock. You sleep that half-awake, half-asleep sort of sleep. You wake up at 5, then at 6; you hear some noises around 6:30, but fall back asleep. Finally at 7 you decide to fully wake up and get out of bed. You try to fix the mess that is your hair and slowly tiptoe out of your room trying to find the bathroom. You see that the hallway is silent and dark and most of the rooms are shut closed. You quickly splash your face with water and head out to the kitchen. You hear someone humming and see that Kris is still sleeping on the couch, the laptop covered under his arm. The curtains are still drawn keeping the room completely dark for the exception of a single light in the kitchen.

                Yixing already woke up and is making breakfast. He turns to you and waves at you with his spatula. You smile and get some water.

                “You woke up already?” he whispers.

                You nod, “Couldn’t sleep.” He nods and turns back to the stovetop; he’s making eggs.

                “I didn’t know that you were going to wake up this early so I only made food for myself.”

                “Yea that’s fine, I’ll eat something on my way out.”

                “When are you leaving?”

                “Now?”

                “Oh…” Yixing looks back at Kris. “You should probably wake him up; we need to talk this entire situation over.”

                You nod and walk to where Kris is sleeping. He looks much kinder while sleeping and his eyebrows look less furious if that makes any sense. You gently shake Kris hoping not to rudely wake him.

                You hear a chuckle from behind you. “Don’t bother, shake him as violently as possible. He only releases his scary dragon wrath on me.”

                You shake him a bit more harshly and his eyes shoot open.

                “YIXING YOU GODDAMN E---- oh. Oh good morning. I thought…. Good morning.” Kris gently rises and begins to rub his eyes when Yixing cheerfully calls out, “I wouldn’t touch your face with the risk of a pimple popping up.” Kris turns and glares. Yixing smiles back and turns around to cook a new set of eggs for you and Kris. Kris abruptly gets up from the couch and strode to the bathroom. You fold the blanket and organize the cushions. Yixing hums to himself while you open the curtains of the room and you see the view that you missed from yesterday night. It’s not the best. It overlooks some shrubbery and some other ugly grey buildings. Real pretty.

                The three of you sit at the table and eat in silence. Kris scarfs down his food while Yixing slowly chews, you just push your scrambled eggs around with a fork. Kris finishes his food and places his hands on the table.

                “Okay. So are you staying at your hotel today or is the wedding thing a big deal?”

                “Well, my friend’s just going to do a final fitting with her dress and she wanted me to be there.”

                “Is it important?” Yixing glares at Kris. “Okay. It’s important.” You nod and continue to push your food around; the eggs aren’t bad, you just aren’t in the mood to eat. “I called a guard last night to stay with you. It’ll be a bit risky for you to walk around alone. I mean we’re lucky that you’re not a celebrity, but we don’t want to risk you being hurt.”

                “I’ll be fine honestly; a guard will only put more attention towards me. I don’t want to show up to my friend’s party and steal her thunder.”

                “It’s a recommended option. But every idol has ed up fans; it’s a good precaution.”

                “No.”

                Kris pushes himself up from the table and leans over. “Look. I’ve been nice. I’m giving you safety. But if you’re so persistent on saying no don’t come crying to Yixing because some sasaeng attacked you.” He turns and leaves the room. You sigh and drop your head towards your food.

                “Are you going to eat that?” You look up at Yixing. “If you’re not, give it to me; I’m still hungry.” You push the plate towards Yixing and get up to drink water. You slowly sip at the water and absently stare at the kitchen wall. You really didn’t want the extra wheel. It would’ve been helpful but you didn’t want to show up at your friend’s fitting with a bulky guy staring at your every move. You sigh and turn around to put the glass in the sink when you face Yixing.

                “Hey. Open your mouth; I’m not going to let you starve and survive on Pocky sticks.”

                “Not hungry.” you mumble as you evade him and turn to the sink. You turn again to face Yixing with a spoon ladled with scrambled eggs. He quickly tries to push it through your closed lips but fails immensely. He frowns and eats the eggs.

                “Hey. I’m going to go… so…” He nods and puts the plate in the sink.

                “You have everything?” You nod. He opens the door and you walk out. Halfway down the stairs you still realize you have Yixing’s sweater on so you turn and run back up to see that he’s still standing there watching you leave. You reluctantly tug the sweater over your head and relish in the calming sandalwood scent of him once more. You give the heap to him and whisper thanks. He nods and you see his arms twitch forward, but then he resists. He smiles and nods you farewell.

                You continue to head down when you see two boys running towards the stairs.

                “ do you think they’re awake?” the taller by a bit one with stoned-looking eyes says to the other.

                A boy that you can only describe as angelic replies, “Yixing probably is, but Wufan shouldn’t so we’re safe.”

                They start to climb the stair but they look up and halt.

                “Who. Are. You?” Stoned enunciates while the Angel looks in disbelief. Stoned studies you while Angel just stares, eyes widening. You’re caught in the middle and you look back at Yixing who straightened his back and was now looking at the two boys with reluctance.  Angel then looks past you and lands his eyes at Yixing and his eyes steel over.

                You realize that it’s your time to make an exit so you quickly jog down the stairs and prepare to turn to not hit the boys standing at the base of the stairs. Stoned is still watching you but Angel is glaring at Yixing. You reach the bottom of the stairs and go to the right to avoid hitting Angel. You pass him and suddenly a firm grip is on your wrist. You turn startled and see that Angel is still facing Yixing but his hand is behind him, firmly tightened on your wrist, preventing you from leaving.

                Angel raises his chin and speaks in a voice twice as angelic, “Yixing. What the hell are you doing?”