Chapter 11

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

please please please read my authors note about sasaeng fans at the end, not forcing you however :P

Enjoy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

                The buzzer in the room rings and Hana gets up and looks through the peephole. She tells you to clean up your eyes and lets the large man from before in. He’s very tall and has a stocky build, but he’s wearing a cap and sunglasses so you can’t see what his face looks like. He takes them off and sets them on the table and you see that he has a square face and large eyes. He looks like he would probably be around his early 30s.   He’s definitely not as frightening to look at as compared to what he did outside with that girl. You quickly get up and bow and mutter out a thanks. He nods and asks you to sit down.

                “Thank you for protecting me, but who are you?”

                “Did Lay not call you yet?” he replies with a husky voice. You draw your eyebrows together in confusion and shake your head.

                “Oh, well he should be calling. Can I have a glass of water, please?” Hana rises from her seat and gives the man a glass of water and gives you your phone.

                You sit at the bed while Hana leans against a wall. The man quietly sips his water and sets it down on the counter. After a few minutes of silence, your phone rings out. You looked at the caller ID: Dorito Lay Chips Yixing.

                You stare at your phone contemplating whether or not to pick up when Hana interrupts your thoughts, eyebrows raised.

                “Answer it.”

                “It’s Yixing…”

                “I know.” You sigh and Hana strides over and picks up the phone and presses call.

                “Hello?” Pause “This is Hana.” Pause “You’re not-” Pause “Yea, Kitty is sitting here right next to me and there’s a large scary man who saved our lives in her hotel room.” Pause “Yes, who is this sweet kind man?” The man smiles modestly behind his glass. Hana lips draw into a tight line. “Oh-okay, tell him thank you. Now here I’m giving it to Kitty.” Hana s the phone to you and jerks her head towards the bathroom. You take the phone and Hana guides you into the bathroom.  You sit on the counter with one leg tucked under you and another dangling. Hana shuts the door and you lock it.

                “He..llo?” You stammer out with an unstable voice.

                “It’s Luhan.” Your throat closes up.  

                “Oh?” Was Hana talking to him all this time?

                “The guy from the staircase.”

                “Yea, I... I know.”

                “Look, I want to be nice, but don’t take me wrong. You can’t lead Lay on.”

                 “I’m not.”

                “Okay, wording this differently. Break your ties with him. This relation will hurt you, you just got attacked. How did that feel?” You stay silent. “Look, I’ve known Lay for a long time. He doesn’t know how to emote negatively. He’s one of the most level headed people I know. He is outside in the living room right now arguing with our manager over your entire situation.”

                “Look, I’ve known him for what? A day?”

                He laughs but it comes out more as a snarl. “From what I heard, you spent a night together. This is a one-night stand gone wrong.”

                You sit up straight and snarl back into the phone. “We became close friends, this isn’t anything more.”

                “I don’t care if this is Romeo and Juliet or whether you two are just friends. I’ve never seen him angry at someone else like this. You know what happens when he gets angry? He takes it out on himself. I don’t even think he gets angry at others; he always tries to find a way to blame himself. It won’t take long until he believes that this entire situation is his fault, and tortures himself for it.”

                Your breath hitches. “Do you think I want that either? What do I do; just tell him that I don’t want to see him anymore? That’ll hurt him too.”

                “It’ll hurt him. But you being with him will not only hurt yourself, but him and EXO in the long run.”

                You don’t understand how to respond to all of this. “That’s…”

                “I’m sorry.”

                “Luhan, I want to do this too. I just don’t know-”

                “Hey look, I think he’s done arguing with the manager. I’m turning off the phone, but I’m pretty sure he’ll call you. Figure it out okay? I want my Yixing back.” The phone disconnects and you’re met by a low buzz. You drop your hand to the counter and close your eyes. You pull your lips into a tight line as you feel your throat constricting.

                The phone rings again: Dorito Lay Chips Yixing. You press call and bring the phone to your ears leaving your eyes closed; your other hand grips onto the edge of the counter. 

                “Are you okay?” Yixing’s voice is soft and gentle; it sets your throat to constrict even further and you cough hoping to open it up.

                “Yea…” A silence ensues.

                “I…knew you would be in trouble so I had someone watch you. He’s a really nice guy; he’ll watch over you and keep you safe but he won’t be too pushy or…I’m sorry.”

                “I was completely stupid for not taking your advice, okay, don’t say sorry.”

                He breathes into the mic, slow and muffled. “Kitty?” He enunciates slowly. His voice is so soft; you swallow more saliva hoping to soothe the tightness in your throat.

                “Mhmm?”

                “Is that your nickname?”

                “Yea, it’s Hana’s since high school.”

                “I should have one for-. I’ll call you Kitty, it’s cute.”

                You smile against the phone, “it reflects my personality.” You hear his breath staccato again; he was laughing, but it was short lived, and it ended with a sigh. Your eyes start to get blurred, but you smack your other hand to your eyes and rub out the water. You wrap your free hand around your waist.

                “Yixing… I’m going to be leaving soon, in a few more days.”

                “We’ll keep contact.” He responds immediately. You hang your head, gripping your waist harder.

                Your voice is a soft whisper. “How?”

                “We’ll find ways.” Yixing’s breath is heavy against the mic. “I… I don’t want to put you in danger like this again.”

                You stammer. “Yixing, we have to-”

                “Don’t do this over the phone. We’re not even a couple.”

                “Yixing-”

                He begins to laugh. “If you want to break up with me, do it in person.” You smile, but you can hear slight sadness to his laughter.

                You groan and laugh amidst your shivers. “Chips, please shut up.”

                “I haven’t heard you call me that in a while.” You could practically hear him smiling.

                “I only use Chips when you’re being an .” And it’s your turn to smile.

                “I love you too, Kitty.” He says in accented English. You laugh and begin to respond with an equally y response, but he isn’t laughing anymore. Your smile wavers.

                “I… Hey, I’ll talk to you later okay?”

                “See you soon.” He hangs up. You keep the phone at your ears listening to the low buzz of the disconnected call.

                You set your cell phone down slowly on the counter and swing your leg. Your throats still hurts and no amount of saliva is calming the tightness. You grip your waist harder, but your stomach isn’t releasing from its tension.

                You hold back your tears; you were alone and no one would see your tears, but you were ashamed to cry.  You think about the entire situation and how screwed up it was. You and Yixing just became really good friends, and it was taken by the public as love. Sure there were moments where you looked at him and the world seemed brighter and more cheerful, but those were little sparks. You were leaving to another country in two days. You couldn’t screw up and ruin your life by falling in love with some random stranger.

                He was just a good friend; that was all.

                You will yourself not to cry.

----------------------------------------------

                Hana knocked slowly, “Hey, I hear silence. Are you finished, or?” You swallow and reach to unlock the door. Hana comes in quietly and closes the door behind her.

                “Did you talk to Luhan? Why did he want to talk to you?”

                “He…” You pause, how are you going to word this? “He wanted me to stop seeing Lay.”

                “Oh.” Hana moves forward and places her hands on yours. “Because he didn’t want anyone hurt?”

                “Lay’s usually really calm and level headed and apparently he’s throwing a fit over me.” You laugh hoping to clear up the tension, but it results in you choking up and coughing. Hana just looks sympathetically and grips your hand.

                “Well, what are you going to do?”

                “I talked to him right after Luhan hung up. I told him that I only had a few days and we needed to stop seeing each other but he only laughed and told me to stop sounding like I was breaking up with him.” Hana sighs deeply and sits down on the counter next to me.

                “Well, what are you going to do?”

                “I'm just not going to see him. Cold turkey.”

                “What will you tell him when you leave?”

                “Nothing.” You reply bitterly.

                Hana’s pinkie ring digs into your hand. “Kitty, talk to him. Make it clear that you’re leaving. This will only cause confusion and trouble.”

                “I hate confrontation.” You mutter as you twiddle with Hana’s ring.

                “You’re a big girl now, remember? You have to do this.” You hang your head and exhale as she slides off the counter. She places one of her hands on your shoulder. “Did you cry yet? Or are you being stubborn and still holding it all in?”

                You look up at her with the blankest expression you could conjure. “I’ll save the tears for after the breakup.” Hana raises an eyebrow and then smiles.

                “Alright, call him right now and figure this out.” Hana nods and leaves the bathroom.

                You bring your other foot up and tuck it under, so you’re sitting comfortably.  You pick up your phone and go to your contacts; your finger hovers over his number. You hesitate, thinking of what could go wrong and how bad this can all turn out, but you shut your eyes and press your finger against the screen. The phone begins to ring.

                “Hello?” A deep voice picks up after the second ring.

                “Hello? Yixing?” His voice was not that deep.

                “No, Wufan.”

                “Oh, makes sense.” A silence follows as you completely blank out.

                “I’m guessing you want to talk to Yixing?”

                “Oh yea can you-”

                “He’s taking a shower. Message?”

                “Oh… Um.”

                “I heard Luhan talking to you. And I also heard your conversation with Yixing.”

                “Wufan…”

                “I’m guessing that you’re calling to end this relationship or friendship or whatever.” You hesitate before quietly affirming.

                “Pity, you two were really cute. I’ll tell him to meet you at his little trainee hideout, okay?” You begin to interrupt him but he keeps going. “We have training today, so how about 11 pm? I hope that’s not too late considering the wedding. Make sure to bring Mr. Lee, your bodyguard.”

                “Wufan, I don’t want to confront him.”

                “Well swee-Kitty, you need to toughen up. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want this either.” You grip the counter edge. “You never know, you two might meet up and he, not you, will break this up.” He laughs humorlessly as you cut him off.  

                “Wufan, 11 is fine.”

                “Alright. I’ll tell him to be the worst version of himself so this won’t be too hard on you.”

                You sigh. “You know I actually liked you for a second.”

                He chuckles. “You still love me, don’t worry.”

                “Bye.”

                “Kitty wait.” You quickly shift your finger from the end button. “Look, I know what Luhan said came off rude, but he means the best; Yixing… really isn’t himself.” He pauses and breathes against the mic. “But then again, I’ve never seen him in a situation like this. He had to break up with his girlfriend of many years before he became a trainee at SM; he really loved her, and to this day I haven’t seen him talk about anyone like he used to talk about her.” His breath hitches and he pauses to catch his breath. “Very early on, he would lose his temper because of homesickness, his family, her. But after a while, he changed into someone so calm and collected. It was like nothing had happened.” Wufan pauses again and catches his breath. You remain silent and hold onto your phone. Your arm is growing tired of holding the phone up to your ear. “When the manager came in today and demanded him to cut all ties with you, Yixing… Yixing yelled at him. Just like when he was a trainee. He yelled at him because he found someone that gave him freedom. Idols can only become friends and build relationships with other idols to avoid suspicion. I don't care whether you're beginning a relationship or you're just friends, but you gave him that space to breathe and he doesn’t want to give that away.” You bite your lip and shut your eyes. What is he even trying to say? He keeps contradicting himself. Your fingers tighten around the phone. “It was a sight watching Yixing yell. It was like we were all young trainees with a warped sense of freedom again.” Wufan chuckled slowly and whispered your name. “Kitty, are you still here?”

                You open your mouth and croak out, “Yea.”

                “Oh dear I hope I didn’t make you cry.”

                “I’ll be there at 11.”

                “Alright.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: this really has nothing to do with the story or yixing or anything. just looking at some of the comments I see some confusion at what a sasaeng fan is. I want to clear this up to save you all from confusion as I know many of you might be new to this topic. A sasaeng fan doesn’t necessarily mean a fan that does bad things; a sasaeng fan is a fan that invades the private life of an idol. Some of you hit the target with the idea, installing cameras outside? Yup. Job of a sasaeng. As a fan of DBSK, the topic of sasaeng fans is a really gritty and common topic. Popular idols like Junsu (from JYJ) often have 100s of sasaengs, every day, following them. Installing cameras outside? How about inside the dorms. One famous case was of a sasaeng fan that came into the dorms of DBSK and kissed each member while they were asleep.  Many sasaengs physically injure their idols so that they would remember them. Taxi chases after idol vans (which can, and have, end up in dangerous and life threatning collisions), camping outside dorms: all sasaeng doings. Sasaeng fans do this because they want to be closer to their idol. In a screwed up logic, the deeper they can get into the private life of an idol, the closer they will get to the idol.  

So to wrap this up the reason I wanted to clarify something was because, the girl that attacked Hana and you was not a sasaeng. She was simply someone who was not in her right mind and believed that as an idol, Yixing was hers. I remember I watched a video on sasaengs and the girl in the video said something that struck to me as very important.

Your idol may seem like a god, but in the end he or she walks on the same earth and breathes the same air. Your idol is no god; he/she is just a mere human being. So treat them as such.