Chapter 16

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

You all should see my powerpoint on sasaeng fans, whispers the wind.

Also, this is it, this is the end. Please comment, upvote, tell your friends about this story, spread it! I want to go out with a bang :)

Finally, please dont miss the next two parts, I'll be updating tomorrow: the Epilogue and Author's Note/Spin-off Idea

Enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

                In a few minutes, the ceiling is almost filled with stars. You can faintly see the glow, but you plan on turning off the light once you finish the sheet to admire your results. You finish smoothing down the some stars, when you suddenly hear shrieks from the girls outside. Your heart drops to your stomach and you’re frozen with fear. Oh no, not now. Not sure what to do, you sit helpless on top of Yixing’s bed, hoping that no one will come into his room.

                 But of course you were wrong and Yixing’s short term memory loss does screw you over every time.

                 A few moments after the shrieks, the door creaks open and in runs in a frazzled and hurried looking Yixing. You knew it was coming but you gasp anyways. Yixing’s eyes shoot up and meet yours; for a moment you just hold each other’s gaze. He’s bewildered, but you see excitement in his eyes. You sigh and slowly close your eyes as Yixing grabs his head phones off a hook pinned to his corkboard and moves towards the ladder for his bunk. 

                Yixing hurries up the ladder as you move towards the back wall, adjusting his guitar and sheets of paper, to create space for him to sit. He sits down on the opposite side and looks at you, amazement still running through his wide eyes. “Why are you here?”

                 “Why are you here? I thought you left for practice a while ago.”

                 You see him run his eyes over you, so you scowl and grab the blanket to cover yourself. He blinks innocently and looks back up to meet your eyes. He smiles and holds up his head phones, “I forgot my headphones.” You smile in spite of yourself, of course. He juts out his chin at you, “You look very pretty, I think this is the first time you’ve out dressed me.”

                 Flustered, you bring down the blanket to rest on your legs. You wish, now more than ever, that you changed at the reception hall. Compared to your fancy dress, Yixing looks plain. He’s wearing sweats and a thin white oversized shirt and in the faint light of the desk light coming from behind him, you could see the outline of his lean torso and shoulders. His clothes were plain but... You mutter out a thanks and stop yourself from muttering out the automatic, ‘you too.’

                 He nods, “So why are you here? You knew I wasn’t going to be here.”

                “I’m leaving tomorrow in the morning, and I wanted to-” Thankfully, Yixing cuts you off before you can complete your sentence.

                “I thought you were leaving tomorrow night? I was planning on taking you somewhere.” The previously excited glint in his eyes had fallen.

                “Oh… I’m sorry.” Yixing sighs. “The airlines called and they said that they have earlier tickets-”

                “So naturally you took them.”

                “Yixing, I just…”

                “-wanted to get out of here.”  You nod and look down at your hands resting on your lap.  “I understand” he sympathetically nods in return, but he sounds bitter.

                In the silence that follows you debate whether or not to show him the stars. It would take some explaining and that would only lead you to reveal everything you wrote in the letter. The stars you put up weren’t visible in the light, you could bull something up and leave without having to explain. But, hearing his disappointed voice when you told him that you were leaving in the morning...

                “Yixing, I want to show you something.” He looks up and hums in response. “Can you turn off the desk light? You’ll only be able to see it then.” Yixing his head and his eyebrows pull together but he turns around to turn off the light. He balances his torso on the railing of the bunk and leans over, one of his feet kicking into the air as he tries to balance and turn off the light on the desk below him. The lights go out and Yixing pulls himself back up, with a little groan about his waist. He sits down but you see in the feeble light of the hallway that he’s much closer than he was before.

                “Look up,” you whisper. The stars are faintly glowing above you and you look at them with pride; it looks perfect. You watch his reaction and see his eyes widen as his mouth slowly whispers your name with a hint of incredulousness.

                His voice is a soft whisper and a shaky laugh, “Why?”

                “Well, you talked about how you had stars at your home in China and you have stars at that room.” He expressionlessly blinks at you. “You don’t have any stars here.” You point at the ceiling of his room, now littered with green stars.  He slowly follows your finger and pulls his lips into a tight line; his eyebrows drew towards each other. “I put two and two together, and I guess I just want you to feel free and happy when you’re at your dorms too.” He lifts up his hand and gently traces one of the larger stars with his finger. He looks back down at you; and even in the scarce light you can see that his eyes are sparkling.

                A hand, after some shuffling around, settles on yours and laces his fingers into yours. His fingers are cool, but they send warm ribbons of heat through your hands. “This can’t happen.” You blurt out, dragging the pads of your fingers on Yixing’s skin to bring your hand back into your lap.

                “I know that.” He straightens his back and turns to the side of the bunk to jump off from the ladder. “You’d rather be caught dead than dating a pop star.” You groan as he laughs and lands. He beckons his hand for you to come down.

                “Yixing, please, you know why-”       

                 “-I’m joking, I understand.” you slowly crawl to the ladder and climb down. He offers a hand and you take it. “When are you leaving tomorrow?”

                 “9:30am.” You see him cringe.

                 “That’s a bit earlier than I want.” He slightly pouts and you shrug. You suddenly hear shrieks of girls and Yixing turns to you, startled. “I still have to go to practice, but, can I just have one quick hug? We’ll text each other later, okay?”

                 You want to smother him millions of hugs, but one was alright. Everything was alright. “Of course, Yixing,” you laugh. You raise your arms and step forward, as Yixing does the same, but it’s too late.

                 “Are you going to kiss!?!!?” Chen stands in the hallway, holding the door wide open. He looks exuberant and his eyes are wide with excitement. Luhan hurries over next to Chen and sees you and Yixing awkwardly holding your arms up, pre-embrace. You drop your hands to your side and Yixing does the same but also tells Luhan and Chen to probably off in Mandarin. Luhan raises his eyebrow and Yixing waves him off. He scoffs and grabs Chen by the arm and drags him away. Yixing walks over to close the door and then comes back to throw his arms around you.

                 Your hands are crushed between his chest and yours but you manage to wiggle them out and wrap them around his neck. You lean into his chest and bury your nose into him and breathe deeply. He smells like sandalwood; just like you predicted, calming and sweet.

                 He mutters your name and you hum in response. “Thank you.” He tightens his arms around your waist, “So, so, so much.” You swear you hear his voice quake, but you push aside the thought.

                You pull away, smoothing your hands down his shoulders to his arms. “You’re so very welcome, Yixing.” He smiles and you see his dimple show on his cheek. You were going to miss that dimple, so damn much. “This is just for Chen’s satisfaction, okay?” You stand on your tiptoes and lean in to lightly kiss Yixing’s cheek, straight onto his dimple. You press your lips against his cheek softly while Yixing laughs; you feel his dimple dance. When you pull away, he lets go of your waist and nudges your pair of heels towards you.

                As you put on your heels, Yixing hooks his thumb into his sweats and snorts. “I’ll make sure that Chen knows. The poor guy’s plans were all ruined because of you.” You both laugh and begin to walk out of the dorm. Yixing and you go to Mr. Lee, who still stands at the door. “I’m going to stay here for a bit, I think I’ll skip practice today,” he muses. “You guys should get going,” he nods at you, “you need to get some sleep, I don’t think I’ve been letting you get any in the past few days.” You laugh and agree.

                 Mr. Lee nods and links arms with you, prepared to go downstairs and brave the fans. You look back at Yixing and he gives you a small nod and a smile. You expect a last parting goodbye, maybe another hug, but all you get is a simple, ‘bye’ and a closed door.

----------------------------------------------

 

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 10:46 pm

ARE YOU STILL WITH MR LEE?????

 

Me 10:46 pm

Yea?

 

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 10:47pm

^^ Oh okay, give him your ipod. He’ll return it back to you tmrow :)

 

Me 10:47 pm

Uh... why?

 

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 10:48pm

I have a present for you ^_______^

 

Me 10:49 pm

But my ipod??? I don’t like people handling my ipod ><

 

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 10:50pm

Trust me, ill keep it safe :D you know i dont take music lightly. Just give it to mr lee. Stop worrying~

 

Me 10:52 pm

Alright, ill give it to him when we reach the hotel, BUT YOU BETTER NOT LOSE IT OR FORGET TO GIVE IT BACK

 

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 10:54 pm

 I wont~ i wont~

 

----------------------------------------------

                 The plane took off a few hours ago and is now somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. The cabin light is dimmed because it’s dark outside, yet most passengers are awake and fidgeting around. You push your head against the hard headrest and sigh; it was a 9 hour flight ahead of you. Out of pure boredom and curiosity you slowly lift up the window cover. They were all supposed to be shut, but seeing that you and the passengers around you were all awake you lift it up anyways.

                 Outside is pitch black: dark and lonely. You sigh and crane your neck trying to see anything in the blank darkness. Soon, you do: one small star shining in the far distance. You smile and wonder how Yixing’s night under the stars went, what Yixing must be doing right now; it was around lunch time in Korea. With a start you realize that you still haven’t looked through your IPod to see what Yixing did.

                 Mr. Lee escorted you to the airport that day and later sheepishly gave you back your IPod. Before you left he ruffled your hair and told you to have ‘a great day and life.’ You thanked him for everything and hugged him, to his surprise, and then later turned back to him and waved at him from the security check in about a gazillion times. You smile as you take out your headphones and IPod from your carry on.

                 You immediately go to your artists and see if anything has changed, and, yes it has. Listed under Artist: Lay Chips Yixing. He was never going to give up that name, you laugh to yourself. You nestle the ear buds into your ear and play the two songs under his name.

                  Okay hey. It’s Yixing! I’m sorry if you hear annoying background sounds; the boys are all playing some game in the living room so-. Okay, well I did skip practice today! I think for the first time since I’ve debuted, other than my various waist issues, I haven’t gone to practice. They all called me a rebel. /laughs/ I went back to my room because I honestly just wanted to lay down on my bed and sleep with the stars above me. I was planning on going straight to sleep but a foreign piece of paper was pinned to my corkboard so I looked at it. /pause/ it was... a lot more... emotional than I expected. And I’m pretty sure I don’t love you as much as you do. /snorts and laughs/ Just kidding, just kidding. I’m sure I fell in love with some things about you, but I’d rather not be straightforward about it, like you did, or ramble on about nothing, but something. /laughs/ Sure we don’t know a lot about each other, but why is now not the time to know? We can Skype each other! And call each other! And text! And learn lots of lots of things. /laughs/ Alright, you kissed me on the cheek yesterday, but Chen still was sad: so I decided to do my part. I was going to put the song I sang to you on the first day you came to the dorms on your IPod, but I realized how pubescent my voice sounded so I took the time while everyone was at practice to re-record it. It still is a bit static-y and messy because my laptop is old, but it’s the best version I recorded yesterday! I hope you like it, you’ll find translations online /laughs/ my fans have translated it and made up many stories about it already. I wrote it a while ago, that’s why Wufan laughed when I said it was composed by a legendary Chinese artist, because I was just referring to myself. It’s called Tears Airport, i hope you like it! I’ll visit you soon in LA and I’ll tell Wufan to teach me some English in the meanwhile. Enjoy the song and have a good flight without me!!

                 You smile as the track stops and the next track begins to play. You put a pillow behind your head and lean your head against the headrest. You close your eyes and let Yixing sing to you.