Independent Part 1

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

I guaranteed that I would update with something before 2014 as a joke 8 months ago and I guess I'm being pretty edgy because there's only a few more days till the new year. But promise kept? Enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independent

                “There’s monsters under my bed. I know it!” The little girl pleads as she grips her bed sheets and refuses to sleep.

              You hold up your palms and try not to whine back, “I promise there aren’t. Please go to sleep!” You slowly push her shoulders down onto the bed and tuck the blanket under her pouting face.

              “What if there are and it’ll be all your entire fault if I get eaten! My mommy won’t pay you if I get eaten!” You groan as you helplessly look around trying to find a storybook to read to her so she would go to sleep, but you couldn’t find anything. You hear the doorbell ring and jump to your feet before you signal her to stay in bed.

              Your phone starts vibrating on the kitchen counter and you run to get it. You grab it as you head to the door and open the text sent.

Dorito Lay Chips Yixing 11:03pm

OPEN THE DOOOOOR

 

              You stop in your tracks. Yixing should be at his hotel and not at your apartment. A doorbell chimes again jarring your thoughts. You quickly unlock the door and are promptly hugged by Yixing.

              Your words are muffled by his jacket, “Why are you here?!”

              He pulls away from his hug and nudges the door shut with his foot. “I wanted to see you before the concert!” He’s smiling, dimples and all.

              “But someone could have seen you!”

              “The rest of Exo went out to Disney Downtown, relax. All the fans followed that car thinking it was all 12 of us.” Yixing walks over to your kitchen counter and grabs your sweater hanging haphazardly from the side. He tosses it to you. “Put it on and then let’s go out for dinner!”

              “Yixing, I have to babysit my coworker’s daughter. You should’ve told me that you were coming earlier.” You whine as he wraps his hand around your arm.

              “It was supposed to be a surprise!” He tugs on your arm. “She won’t know that we’re gone.”

              At that time, the little girl’s tiny feet and blanket made their way out of the bed and into the living room. “What’s happenin’, Kitty?” Yixing’s eyebrows rise at your nickname, but you scowl at him.

              “Nothing, don’t worry!” You assure her as you pick her up and walk back into your bedroom. Yixing follows you, grabbing the other end of the blanket that was trailing on the ground.

              You tuck her in, but once again, she begins to whine about the monsters under the bed. You try to assure her that there are no monsters, but it’s unsuccessful. Yixing comes into the room from leaning on the doorframe and sits down on the bed.               

              “What’s happening?” He asks you and so you translate. He laughs and holds out his palm to you and nods in assurance. “Translate this for her.” Yixing looks straight at the little girl and holds out a hand to pull her back into a sitting position. “There are always monsters under the bed! Big scary scary scary monsters, but there’s a few ways to defeat them!” The little girl leans forward with big, bright eyes. “The one sure-fire way to defeat them is to fall asleep. Under-the-bed-monsters only can be scary if the little girl in the bed is asleep. Monsters don’t like being scary when the person they’re scaring is asleep because where’s the fun in that? So if you fall asleep, you are 100% free of monsters under your bed.” The little girl nods rapidly after your translation, with her eyes wide, taking in all the information. “However, in the case that you can’t fall asleep there a few other ways. First you have to drink one full glass of warm or cold milk and go to the bathroom before you sleep.”

              The little girl’s eyes perk up and she jumps out of the bed. “I drank milk, but I have to go to the bathroom!” She runs quickly to the bathroom and you playfully hit Yixing who just smiles and holds up his hands in defense. The little girl comes back and jumps into bed trying to avoid stepping near the edges of the bed frame.

              Yixing tucks her in and continues. “Drinking milk and going to the bathroom scares the monster because now you are almost prepared to fall asleep, but if you’re still scared and want to guarantee safety you have to sing!”

              The little girl pouts, “But I don’t know how to sing!”

              Yixing pats down her hair. “You don’t have to sing, your mommy can sing for you, she can sing for you.” Yixing nudges his head towards you but you delete that out of the translation. “The song doesn’t matter either; it can be any song, in any language or genre, okay?”

              With that he starts to sing and you recognize it as a JJ Lin ballad that Yixing had sung for you before on one of your countless Skype sessions. Yixing’s voice is soft and clear, unlike when static noises corrupt Yixing’s voice on video and force him to sing louder and harsher. You watch Yixing as he plays with the little girl’s hand and sings to her with animated and bright eyes. When he finishes he pulls the blanket up to her chin and tucks her in.

              “Did you like that, kitten?” he asks in accented English. He nudges your foot as the little girl giggles and nods. “Goodnight, then!”

              “Make sure you go to sleep, alright?” She nods earnestly at you and you get up from the bed. Yixing follows you out the door, lacing fingers once he shut the door to the room.

              “I wasn’t asking her when I said ‘kitten.’” Yixing confesses as you lead him down the hallway.

              You turn around, eyebrows raised. “You don’t even call me Kitty, so when did kitten become a thing?” He laughs as you arrive at the living room.

              He releases your hand and grabs the sweater once again, pushing it onto your chest. “She’s asleep. Let’s go.”

              You toss the sweater aside, “What if she wakes up and I’m not here?”

              “Leave her a note.”

              “We’ll leave in an hour.” You jump onto your couch and grab the TV remote. “I have drinks in the fridge if you want.”

              Yixing stands at the edge of the couch, looking at you with a blank expression. You look up at him and shrug. He groans and collapses onto the couch.

              “Hey not my fault, I could have scheduled the babysitting for another day if you told me.” You adjust yourself on the couch to allow the length of Yixing’s body to partially fit, his head on your lap and calves hanging off the edge of the couch.

              “It’s alright. I wasn’t planning on coming until a few hours ago anyways.”

              Yixing averts his eyes from the flickering television screen and shuts his eyes close. “We’ve seen each other quite a lot this year.” Yixing muses as he rubs his eyelids with the palm of his hands.

              “3 times.” You mumble out, paying more attention to the rerun of Americas Next Top Model.

              Yixing’s eyes flutter open and he pokes your stomach. “You don’t sound very excited.”

              You laugh, “3 times is definitely not enough.”

              Yixing places his hands on his eyes and yawns. “Was that was sarcasm?”

              You reply earnestly. “No it wasn’t, Yixing.” He smiles as you continue to surf through channels.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

              “Pull up your hood. I’m actually really nervous about this.” Yixing shrugs and pulls up his hood, then pulling it down comically to cover his entire face. You chuckle and reach for the bag with the sandwiches.

              “Here’s yours.” Yixing reaches into the bag and pushes a wrapped Subway sandwich towards you.

              “Are you sure?” You warily eye the sandwich Yixing unwraps. You both ordered the same sandwich but yours contained peppers and his did not.

              “Positive!” Yixing grins and without hesitation, takes a big bite of the sandwich. He chews thoughtfully, until his eyes widen and his hands drop the sandwich to scramble for the glass of water. “No, it’s yours!”

              “Oh my god did you eat a banana pepper?” You laugh as you switch sandwiches and open the sub slightly to reveal the banana peppers that the employee generously distributed throughout the sandwich. Yixing scrunches his face and pulls back from the table while he frantically sips on water.

              You reach over and pat him on his head, “I’ll buy you boba after this as compensation.”

              Yixing bites into his Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sandwich and chews pitifully.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

              “Hey, can you teach me something?” You mumble approval from the straw of your boba milk tea. “I want to say something nice at the concert tomorrow, but I want it to be all in English.”

“You want me to come up with something to say?”

              “No I have something to say, I just need it translated into English and memorized by tomorrow.”

              You nod, straw still in your mouth. “Why didn’t you ask Wufan?”

              "He’s lame and I want to surprise everyone.”

              “You two are both really lame, to be honest.” You put down your cup, “But alright, what do you have.”

              Yixing nods and blanks out, expressionless eyes darting around as you assume he tries to remember what he wanted to say. Suddenly he rocks back as he claps his hands and then places his palms on the table. “Whenever I come to LA, I always see so many fans around me and to feel the immense love, it’s really humbling. So I really hope that I can live up to the love you give me because I feel so blessed to be loved by such wonderful people. Your support is also the motivation for me to walk on! Thank you and I love you all!!” He finishes with a grand smile and his chin up.

              You snort and reach over, pulling his hood down his face to cover the pronounced dimples that made your heart flutter. “You’re lamer than Wufan will ever be.”

              He laughs and slaps your hand away from his hood. “I’m not lame, I’m honest and straightforward.” He sticks his tongue out at you and scrunches his nose.

              You raise your eyebrows. “Can’t remember where I heard that before.” Yixing kicks your feet under the table.

              “Teach, no more sass.” This time you stick your tongue out and receive yet another kick.

              With the help of Yixing’s constant repetition, you translate the phrase and begin the long arduous process of teaching it to him. He picks up on the accent and words easily but remembering the order of the phrase is hard so for every mistake he makes you shoot a tapioca pearl at his forehead. Yixing tries to evade punishment by pulling down the hood of his jacket over his face, but he’s too slow for your ready and loaded straw. Soon the lesson is forgotten and Yixing starts shooting the tapioca pearls at you, and eventually the couple sitting behind them. Yixing jumps to his feet to apologize to the couple, but you grab your stuff and his hands and run off laughing.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

              “I would show you the choreography if I had suspenders.” Yixing muses as you both watch a F.R.I.E.N.D.S rerun. The carpet is itchy and the hard side of the couch hurts your back, but Yixing’s shoulder is incredibly comfortable.

              “So the suspenders are part of the dance?” You mumble from Yixing’s shoulder.

              “Yea, it’s a pretty charismatic dance.”

              “It’s a Christmas song, though. Why is it so ual?”

              “Winter song.” He corrects you as you reach for the remote lying on the couch. Yixing repeats his phrase over and over again as you watch Ross and Rachel mend their fractured relationship over alcohol. 

 

----------------------------------------------

 

              Only when Yixing’s phone rings, do you realize that Yixing’s repetitive dialogue lulled you to sleep.

              “Is everyone back?” Yixing whispers into his phone as you open your eyes and realize that the TV was turned off and the only light in the room was coming from Yixing’s phone. You yawn and rub your eyes, straightening your legs on the carpet in front of you. Yixing turns to you, grinning, and lightly taps your nose with his free hand. “Yea I’ll start, see you.” He ends his call and pats your cheeks with his palms, “Good morning, sleepy.”

              You pry his hands off your face with a whine, “What time is it?”

              “Two. I need to get back to the hotel, Luhan called.” You nod silently and push yourself up to your feet, using the couch as leverage. Yixing jumps up to his feet and stretches his arms. “Alright, I’ll see you again later!”

              “La...ter?” you mumble out. Yixing laughs and grabs your two hands and pulls them around his waist, making you link your fingers and rest them on his lower back. He then moves in to envelope you in a tight hug.

              “Yea, I have a concert remember?” He mutters, chin resting on the top of your head. “I hope up I can live up to your love, I love you?" You mumble your recognition into his chest.

              “Do well today and remember to practice the phrase.”

              Yixing hums in agreement, “I’ll see you later, okay? Goodnight!” He tilts his head down to kiss the top of your forehead, and immediately pulls away, turning to the door. He exits without another word, leaving you standing in your dark and now empty living room, with the reminiscence of warm lips on your forehead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 is guaranteed to be up before 2015 

 

 

 

 

 

jk jk, soon I promise