Chapter 14

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

Silence.

“Hello? How may I help you?”

Your brain was forming words but your mouth wasn’t moving. Speak goddamit.

“Hello?”

You mumble out an incoherent statement.

“Oh, are you alright? I’m sorry I did not understand.”

You stutter but it finally comes out, “I-I-I would like to transfer my tickets.”

“What is your current flight number and what is the flight you would like to transfer to?”

“Oh…oh, wait let me get my laptop.” You fumble around the coffee table and flip open your laptop and turn it on. “I’m sorry; I’m turning my laptop on.”

“Ma’am when is your flight?”

“Tomorrow at 9:30pm”

“Is your flight ASA210 and transfer to Korean Air KA562?”

“Um, yea I’m pretty sure that’s the one.”

“Alright ma’am can you tell me your name and some passport information?” You mentally kick yourself.

“Oh… I have to take out my passport sorry.” You jump across the living room to get to your bags. You can hear the agent sigh softly into the microphone.

----------------------------------------------

Me 10:43am

So details about wedding prep?

 

Hana 10:45am

Did you just get to the hotel =____=

 

Me 10:45am

No I just forgot to call you.

 

Hana 10:48am

Whatever I have a lot of people working on the aisle decorations and front. Just get here and idk find someone who looks overwhelmed and help them out bc I think im going to have to go soon and pick some things up. Honestly I shouldve made you my maid in honor seungyeon is driving me up the wall

 

Me 10:51am

Aren’t you supposed to be mad at me

 

Hana 10:51am

We’ll talk about that later. Oh and I wouldn’t advise putting your dress on bc itll be worn down by the time of the wedding. Okay bye I have to go~

 

Me 10:51am

I’m using your makeup just saying. I already packed mine.

----------------------------------------------

                Lay called you on the way to the ceremony location. Your phone was in your bag and you didn’t hear it; you weren’t going to call him back though. Too much work.

                You arrive at the location at 11:50, it being outside of Seoul. It is a botanical garden with a private garden near the back made for weddings and ceremonies. You laugh, Hana stayed true to her words, but you were a bit skeptical of her statement about a “small wedding.” You are led to the private section far into the garden. It’s fenced off from the rest of the garden with large white pickets, covered in blooming flowers and winding vines. You enter and see grass on the ground and multiple benches scattered here and there with one clear aisle marked by a trail of white flowers.  The altar is a large white gazebo like structure with columns and a dome top. Vines crawl up the columns and you see helpers dotting the vines with little pink flowers. The gazebo faces a small gurgling pond with rocks and trees surrounding it. A fake waterfall trickles into the pond creating the soft peaceful music of moving water. It’s literally a princess’s wedding, which makes sense; out of all the people you know, Hana is most likely to actually be one.

                You help out with decorating the altar and the benches while Hana is away. You take out your headphones and listen to music. You suddenly remember your thoughts on wanting to listen to some of EXO’s songs but you push aside the thought and continue to listen to your own music. You mindlessly push small pink buds into the holes the vines create. You smush a few, but it’s alright. No one will notice the ruined ones if there are nicer ones surrounding it.

                Hana comes back around 2, and by that time the preparations for the wedding were all done and the helpers and friends were all mingling with each other and chatting. You lounged on a bench in the far corner of the garden and debated on whether or not you should sleep. In the end you closed your eyes and dozed off, but sharply wake up when you hear Hana’s voice announce that the garden looked perfect. You throw your legs off the bench and make your way over to Hana where everyone was dispersing, most likely to get changed and ready for the wedding. You rub your eyes drowsily realizing you really didn’t get much sleep the past 2 days. You head up to Hana, who was talking to an official, and wait, a bit tense as to what will happen.

                Hana finishes talking to the official and bows. She then turns to you, an awkward silence ensues.

                “Hi?” She ventures.

                “Hey.” You reply as nonchalantly as possible.

                “Um… so I’m going to go to my dressing room. You said you needed make up right? You can come with me.” Hana smiles and puts her hand out towards you. You sigh and take her hand.

                After getting all your stuff, you and Hana head over to the dressing room reserved for brides. Inside it’s an average dressing room with mirrors and counters lined along the wall, recessed lighting lights up the entire room in a soft glow. The wedding dress hangs in the corner and the silver and clear gems of the bodice glint in the light, and reflects throwing lights around the room. Hana smiles dreamily at her gown and you wistfully dream a day where you could wear a gown that gorgeous. She sits down in a styling chair and her stylists come and begin to clean and moisturize her face. You awkwardly sit down in the chair next to her and rotate around. They finish on her face and move on to painting her nails; Hana turns to you.

                “Okay, let’s talk now?”

                “I honestly don’t think we have to. You were just saying the truth” You give her a small honest smile.

Hana blows out and bites her lip but then quickly releases. “Well, yea. I was being honest. But too harsh, too brutal.”

                “Well I’d rather have the harsh truth than a lie.” You shrug.

                “Look, what I said. I still stand by it. It was harsh, and mean, and rude, but I did it because I’ve-” Your phone begins to ring. You ignore it and wave it off. “-you’re not going to get that?”

                “I’ll call back whoever, later.”

                Hana barely cuts off your words. “Is it Lay?” You glance off to the side and nod uncommitted.

                Hana speaks louder as to drown out the obvious ringing. “I was harsh because I’ve been through this before. I’ve had my share of breakups. I’ve had my share of boyfriends that just wouldn’t work out.” You cringe; this was heading the wrong direction. She notices your cringe. “No wait, scratch that, I’ve had my share of boyfriends that just didn’t work out because the timing wasn’t right. And –you remember!- they never ended happily.” You nod remembering all the tears Hana shed over boys and all the ice cream you had to buy for her. This topic was getting cold really fast and you just wanted to stop.

                “Look, I understand, no offense taken. Can we just put this aside? I’m leaving in the morning tomorrow instead of night; Asiana Air sent out an email offering transfers because the plane I was going to fly had problems.” Hana her head to the side and raises her eyebrow, confused. “Basically, I’m getting out of here as soon as possible.” You add sourly.

                The helpers finish up on Hana’s nails and move onto coating her face with copious amounts of foundation and all the other supplements of a perfect face. Realizing Hana can’t talk anymore you thoughtlessly doodle little bunny heads on your nails with the thin nail art pens you pick up from the table. Suddenly, Hana jolts and the helpers yell.

                “Sorry sorry.” She waves at the helpers to stop. She turns to you. “Hey, are you going to call Lay back?” She freaked out to remind you that?              

                “Later? My nails are wet.” You show her your one hand of black bunnies. Hana laughs then suddenly frowns.

                “Kitty… how did you and Lay say goodbye?” You don’t answer because you’ve already set out to do your other hand and that takes concentration. “Kitty?” Hana adds after a bout of silence.

                “Not… nicely?” You confess.

                Hana leans forward to the protest of her helpers. “Oh . What happened?”

                “I just blew up at him for playing me on. He basically told me that he wasn’t honest with me because he didn’t know where our whole…relationship would lead. So he just played along and I got pissed.”              Hana groans and begins to bring her hand up to her heavily painted face but is stopped by one of her helpers. “Was that a: Oh Kitty you’re so stupid groan, or a: I’m so done groan.”

                “It was a: Oh god this entire situation is screwed up groan. If I wasn’t so harsh this wouldn’t have happened.”

                “Don’t blame it on yourself” you mumble from painting.

                “But Lay did play with your feelings and you just overreacted.”

                You sigh. “That’s exactly what he told me.”

                “What even happened last night?” Hana motions her helpers to continue on her face.

                “We made up. It was perfectly fine. I told him that I was going to go and he asked to meet up once more before I leave tomorrow night. He asked me why I treated it like a breakup and I was flustered, but when I asked him, he went into this long, legendary story of his life: how he felt free under the stars and how the room we were in made him feel free and at peace because of the glow-in-the-dark-stars. I don’t know, he told me that he didn’t go back to the room for a long time until he met me. And then he fell asleep, like, that was his explanation for why he treated our situation like a breakup.” Hana mumbles something but the helpers shut her up. You laugh. “The next morning, you call and I get worked up and all.” Hana incoherently mumbles. “Which I completely understand and no offense taken,” you quickly add. “Then I curtly said goodbye but he asked about the offer to meet up again, and that’s when I snapped.” Hana motions for her helpers to stop, but they tell her to continue when they are finished with her face. You continue to work on your bunnies.

               By 3:30 Hana’s hair, makeup, and sanity was ready. All that was left was getting into the dress and waiting for the ceremony to begin; the guests would start arriving by 4. In the meanwhile, Hana told you about her husband, Hyunwoo, while it was your turn to put on makeup. She told you about their college days and how he was failing in his classes and Hana had to tutor him – you burst out laughing, almost stabbing yourself with the eyeliner pencil: “You, of all people, had to tutor someone?” “I’m smart okay!!”-and how slowly she fell in love with his stupid quirks-“He called and still calls me Hamtaro because he misheard my name,” Hana says dreamily; you scoff. His grades rose incredibly, due to Hana’s “loving care”, and he took her out to dinner, after grades were released, to celebrate. That campus sandwich shop was where they had their first kiss and where they confessed to each other. It was also where, after 4 years, he brought her back to the shop and proposed to her- you started to laugh because of the apparent romance of a college sandwich shop, but Hana shut you up and told you it was very romantic.

                “And fast forward to today. Jang Hyunwoo and Kim Hana are finally tying the knot.” She finished with a great smile.

                “Cute.” You smack your lips together and slide them around trying to evenly coat your lips with gloss.

                “It’s more than cute, it’s perfect.” You turn to her and exaggerate shielding your eyes.

                “No, stop! Your happy wedding glow is too much to handle!” She slaps your hands down.

                “That’s for when you’re pregnant!!”

                You smirk into the mirror touching up on some eyeliner, “Which will be a few days from now?”

                Hana crosses her hands and falls back into the chair. After a while, Hana replies, “Not yet, I don’t think I’m ready to be a mom, Kitty.”

               “You’ll be a great mom, trust me.” You look her straight in the eyes and nod, smiling greatly.

               Hana sighs. “How do you know?”

               “Because you took care of me all this time, ever since high school you taught me so much.” Hana smiles to herself. “I mean sure you can go a bit crazy at times, and you did need me a lot.” You laugh, “But you taught me how to enjoy life and have fun all while still being strict and completely honest.”

                “I think you took care of me more than I did for you. I was a mess in high school.” Hana replies thoughtfully.

                “Believe me, buying ice cream does not equate to good mom.” Hana smiles as someone comes into our dressing room and tells us that the ceremony will begin in 10 minutes. Hana jerks up with wide eyes and nods to the helper. She comes in and begins to unhang Hana’s gown. You realize that you’re not changed yet so you take out your dress and begin to change.

                Hana, shaking, steps onto a stool and strips her clothes to wear the gown. “This is all a huge responsibility, Kitty. I don’t think I’m ready to get married…” The helper zips her into the gown.

                “Hana, this happens to everyone, don’t worry, just breathe and think about how much you love Hyunwoo.” You zip up the side of your dress, with the help of Hana’s helper, and grab your bag. You turn and look at Hana who stands on the stool with the gown put on. “Hey, I’ll see you out there okay, you’ll be fine.” You give her a smile and you turn to the door.

                “Wait, Kitty, I won’t be able to personally talk to you after this.” You think about it and realize that she probably is right. “Thank you so much for coming today. The whole thing with Lay- just- it was at the wrong time. Make sure you two keep in contact okay? Make sure you and I keep in contact too. I really missed you, Kitty. It was really nice seeing you.” Hana looks worried but then you realize it was just sadness.

                You put on a bright smile for her. “I missed you too, Hana. Come and visit me in LA okay?” You wink at her, “Bring the baby.” Hana laughs and you nod and leave the room. Your last glance of Hana in that room was of her laughing brightly and her gown scattering light all over the room.

                You seat yourself on the farthest bench from the altar and place your bag down. You think about calling Lay but people are filing into their benches and the groom and priest had already arrived. You take a good look at Hyunwoo. He’s adorable; he almost seems nerdy in that way but then you remember that Hana had to tutor him and you push aside the thought. He looks about Hana’s height and he fits his suit amazingly well. You imagine Hana standing next to him and decide that they are one great looking couple. Most importantly, the baby, and yes there will be one, is going to be gorgeous.

                The ushers tell the crowd to quiet down as the procession begins and you see Aeri and Lily walk in with two other men. After the bridesmaids and groomsmen arrive at the altar, Seungyeon comes out a simple, sleek pink gown, paired with another man. The best man looks exactly like Hyunwoo and you hear murmur among the guests. You pick up identical twin from the general murmur. As he reaches the altar where Hyunwoo stands, he winks at Hyunwoo; Hyunwoo shakes his head and silently laughs.

                Finally Hana comes into view, and Hyunwoo turns around with previous warning from his brother. She walks out in her gown with a small little boy with a pink tie escorting her. The guests all gasp and ooh and ahh at Hana and her beautiful gown; she looks stunning. She added a little tiara on top of her hair and a long sheer veil flows from the back of the tiara, contrasting her short hair. In the backdrop of the garden and with all the flowers surrounding her, she really does look like a princess. She slowly walks up the aisle, she passes you and she smiles, you can tell that she is nervous, but she looks gorgeous and perfect anyways. One little girl holds up Hana’s veil while another tries to evenly distribute flowers on the aisle, failing to do so. They’re all wearing pink dresses with pink flowers braided into their hair. Hana slowly walks up the aisle and you look at Hyunwoo and his twin. His twin is facing Hana while Hyunwoo has his back towards her. His brother’s eyes are glued on Hana, yet talking to Hyunwoo. His eyes are animated as he talks; Hyunwoo hangs his head and starts rocking back and forth. His twin smirks and finally puts his hand on Hyunwoo’s arm and pushes him to turn. Hyunwoo rocks back on his heels and spins to look at Hana. His mouth drops open and he raises his arm to cover his amazement while Hana blushes and smiles brightly. The scene is way too cute for you to handle, you look away and try to ease your face out of the cheesy smile it wore. She finally reaches the altar and the flower girls and boy run back to the benches and sit down. Hyunwoo sneakily reaches for Hana’s hand and squeezes it with a smile. Hana turns her head back to the priest and nods. The ceremony starts and you watch as your friend gets married to her sweetheart. 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:N/ This was a really long time ago, but I was studying for my History midterm and i started to doodle my vision of Hana's wedding gown. Did I describe it well enough? :) (I think it was Chapter 10 where i described it in full)

Also, although my short span of writing for Chen was a lot of fun, Hana is my favorite character and writing her happily ever after made me really happy.