Chapter 4

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

            Lay walks back and opens the door that you assumed was storage. He enters and you get up and follow him. It’s a long but skinny room, one wall is covered with a shelf leaving little room to waddle through. He turns and passes you a stack of CDs and a giant bag of Pocky sticks. He then grabs a few pillows and starts to push you out. He lays the pillows on the mat and you take the CDs and gingerly put the bag of Pocky sticks in the center.

            “Are you sure these aren’t rotted?”

            “They’re tightly packaged why would they rot?”

            “Hrm.” You rip open the bag and take on out and inspect it to make sure. It looks fine, but still. “Hey. Chips. Open your mouth.”     

            “Huh?” You quickly stuff the chocolate side in. He keeps his mouth open.

            “Now close your mouth.”

            “Nuh-uh.” He keeps his mouth open.

            “Pleeeeeeeease.” Little did you know that he snuck his hand into the bag and by the time you finished your dragged out please you had Pocky goodness in your mouth. You bite down on the stick trying to capture his fingers but he pulls them out too quickly. You grumpily chomp on the stick while Chips looks expectantly. You swallow and Chips leans in. You roll your eyes.

             “It’s fine.” 

             “Never doubted it.” He breaks one in half and tosses it into his mouth, dimples showing up on the side. You quickly stuff your mouth with another Pocky stick.

             “So…dancer of the group.”

             “Lead dancer, yes. But I can sing also.” You nod your head, not knowing how to continue the conversation. You spot the CD player from the corner of your eyes. You get up and bring the player back to the mat.

             “Okay, challenge. I turn on the CD player and you’ll have to dance to whatever song it is on.”

              "Can’t I just sing my own song and dance to that?”

              “No, where's the fun to that.” He gets up and brushes his crumb infested hands on his pants. 

              “Fine.” He stretches his legs and rolls his shoulders. “Ready.” You press the on button and press play. Familiar music surrounds the room

               “Oh, I know this song!” You shout out remembering the songs of your teenage years.

               He smiles to himself, biting his lips, head slightly bobbing to the music. He slowly starts moving his shoulders and his legs to the beat, moves constricted. The beat repeats itself and he loses the stiffness and his body starts to move. Accenting the fast rhythm of the song, his arms move around sharply and in contrast his body flows and moves with fluidity. You watch his face while he’s dancing and it screams concentration. As the song progresses, it’s painfully simple to you, when he’s dancing, it’s like he’s in a trance. You can tell that when he dances he's only hearing the music, and feeling the ground, and concentrating on his body. He might as well have forgotten that he was dancing in front of you. You catch his eyes once or twice and he breaks into a shy grin, changing back into his glazed expression few seconds later. He ends his impromptu dance with a great bang, jumping into the air and landing on his knees, fist thumping the ground. 

               You feel the ground almost rattle and see that Lay quickly got up and shook out the hand he banged against the ground. Something floats down and lands on your legs. You pick it up and see that it's a small glow in the dark sticker, the back lost its stickiness and the points were torn. You call Lay and hold up the star.  He looks at what you’re holding and his eyes widen. He leaps to the door and flips the switch as you pause the song. You’re suddenly bathed in darkness.

           "Lay…what?”

           “Look up.”

           You look up. The ceiling is covered in glow in the dark stickers. About 50 or so stars, ranging in size, clustered here, sparse there. It almost looked like the night sky, unless you don’t count the fact that they were green, 5 pointed, and 7 feet from the ground. Lay blindly goes back in to the storage room and comes back and trips on your foot, the thud softened by some pillows fortunately placed. He opens his phone for light and you see he’s carrying a blanket. He places the blanket in between and moves some pillows around for him to lay his head on.  He lays flat on his back looking at the ceiling, turning off his phone. You follow.

            You break the silence. “I’m guessing you put these up.”

            “When I didn’t feel like going back to the company I would sleep here. But I honestly don’t know why I put the stars up. I probably just wanted something to do.” You hum in reply.

            “In America, do you see a lot of stars?” 

            You snort, “Sometimes you can’t even tell the difference between night and day in LA. You might see one or two stars, and if you’re lucky the moon.”

            “There’s the good old snark. You haven’t talked much today.”

             “Au contraire, you’ve talked quite a lot.”

             “Au contraire?" he asks trying to match the accent.

             "Oh sorry. Contrary? On the contrary?" You try to explain in.

             "Ah. I talk a lot; it just takes me a while to get comfortable. I'm still the quiet one during interviews.” He snorts. “I usually seem dumb to people when they first meet me.”

             “I honestly thought you were drunk.” Yixing laughs and you turn your head to look, trying to catch a glimpse of his dimple but you realize its pitch dark.

             “It was the morning and I lost passport and I didn’t know who you were. It all added up.”

             You smile and blindly slap your hand around trying to find the bag of Pocky sticks. Instead you accidentally knock over the stack of CDs. Chips sits up and turns on his phone. He quickly picks them up and stacks them while you grab the bag and stuff your mouth in shame. He looks through his large stack of CDs, his face dramatically illuminated by the bright light of his phone. You can’t help but stare, the shadows accentuating his jaw and cheeks making him even more stunning.  

              “When I joined SM, I promised that I would buy every SM artist album I could so the day I debuted I could put them in a special case along with my own albums.” Silence. “Funny, last time I was in this room it was the time I found out that I was put in EXO. I took out all my SM albums that I collected, these are only a few, and laid them all out in front of me. I just sat here and cried.” He leans back onto his hand, picks up the Mirotic album, and smiles. “I was going to be on one of these.”

               A silence follows. You stumble with what to say but decide to speak your mind. “You know, you’re really straight-forward.”

               “I’ve been told.”

               Another silence. You awkwardly munch on a Pocky stick breaking the silence with your loud crunches. The phone’s light slowly flickers off. Yixing laughs and reaches over into the bag. 

----------------------------------------------

                 You two talk for a while in the pitch darkness. Your conversations range from his home in China and his homesickness to what you ate for lunch. Suddenly you feel something vibrating and jump up.

                 "Your phone?"

                 “Probably, oh god where is it.” He gets up to turn on the lights still tangled in blanket. You start feeling around and finally you find it.

                 “I found it!”

                 “Put it on speaker!” he yells from the other side of the room. You turn it on and put it on speaker.

                 “Zhang Yixing. Where the are you.” A deep threatening voice speaks through the phone.

                 “I’m heading to the dorms!” He yells jumping towards the mat. He trips on the edge of the mat and stumbles.You can’t help but to chucklre, but Chips quickly shushes you and you close your mouth.

                 “Liar, I heard the girl.”

                 “We were sleeping okay.” A silence follows. “! I didn't mean it like that!.” You burst out laughing and Yixing smacks his hand to his forehead.

                 "Zhang. Yixing. Come. Home. Right. Now.”

                 “Holy Wu Fan. We were lying on our backs talking.”

                 “Drop the girl and go straight to the dorms.”

                 “Bring your girlfriend!! We're having a karoke!!” You hear a shrill voice scream in the background.

                 “So Jongdae’s drunk and you all are having a party while Manager Ge is away.”

                 “Luhan and Sehun left to god knows where and Tao, Joonmyun, Kyungsoo,and Jongin are sleeping.”

                 “But you, Jongdae, Minseok,  Baekhyun, and Chanyeol are having a karaoke.”

                 “Baekhyun and Chanyeol made us. Ge is at the SM meeting for tonight and tomorrow. But you are coming straight ho-”

                 “Can I talk to your girlfriend!!

                 “Yixing put your girlfriend on!!”

                 “I’m right here.”  You find yourself say. “I’m not his girlfriend though. He drunk called me for a date and I unfortunately fell for it.” Yixing jumps onto you, knocking you over and attacking you for the phone which you bring above your head. His foot is between yours and he places one hand beside you and leans into you for the phone. He grabs the phone from your hands and looks down at you just realizing that he is currently on top of you. His cheeks turn a deep scarlet and his eyes widen. He immediately rolls off.

                 “I honestly was not drunk. I thought I was calling Jongin.”

                 “But he couldn’t recognize that he was talking to a girl and not y Kkamjong Kai.” You mutter under your breath. Lay proceeds to slap a hand down onto your mouth to shut you up. You smile underneath his fingers.

                 You hear synchronized yelling/singing in the background and someone yelling. The sound gets muffled though a few shrieks can be heard from the background. Suddenly it’s quiet.

                 “Yixing, come home please.”

                 “Yes, duizhang.

                 “Make sure to drop the girl.”

                 “Yes, duizhang.

                 “I hate you.”

                 “Yes, duizhang.” The caller hangs up.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started this fic i honestly did not believe that i would get anywhere with it. I thought i would just be mindlessly writing this just for myself and no one would even bother to read it. 3 months later we come to today where i have 100 subscribers and many people telling me to update and how much they love my fic, and honestly thank you. if you guys didnt comment or subscribe i wouldve have probably stopped writing this a long time ago. it sounds cheesy but you guys are what kept me writing. sure i love writing and writing this fic is so much fun but as you know i update like a snail. you guys with your comments and support push me to keep writing this and try my hardest to write the very best. so thank you so. very. much

From my subscribers who subscribed to me way in the begining, my new subscribers, the people who dont comment at all, or the people who comment at every update, I love all of you so much and i hope you love this fic as much as i love writing it :)