Chapter 10

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

                You 5 enter the room but you quickly excuse yourself, telling them that you need to make a phone call. Hana raises her eyebrows but the three don’t bat an eyelash. You exit the room and head outside, taking out your phone. You recall Kris saying that they didn’t have a schedule so it wouldn’t be a problem; you call Yixing. He picks up after two rings.

                “Yea?”

                “Give the phone to Kris.”

                “Why?”

                "Give.” You hear his breath staccato against the mic so you could tell he was laughing. The sound gets muffled by some chatter, some squeals, and a door being slammed shut; then it’s crystal clear.

                “It’s Kris.”

                “We completely forgot to talk about the plan, like what I should say and stuff.”

                “Oh… oh . Yea okay. It’s pretty simple. Just say. Um…” a silence follows. “Ah! For a simple explanation just say, yea I’m the friend of his manager. If they ask more about you two dating, just tell them that SM has decided against giving an official statement because it’s a ridiculous rumor that doesn’t need to be addressed etc.”

                “Is SM in on this? And if they ask about you guys? How do I know the manager?”

                “Yea, they know. Tell them; that’s private information sorry, and, I met him through friends at my job.”

                “I’m a graphics designer.”

                “I met him through friends.”

                “Kay, thanks.”

                “No problem honey.”

                “Kris… what did the manager do? I mean, how much trouble is Yixing in?”

                “A load as I told you before. Yixing always takes the yelling and disappointment of others seriously to heart. But this time… I don’t know; he seemed really care-free and brash. I really don’t think he gives a about our manager’s anger anymore.” There’s a pause. “He… he’s not really worried anymore, he trusts the fans better than me.” Pause. “So in the end our manager is going to keep a close eye on Yixing and does hate you, but he’s also sort of grateful because you came up with the idea of you being a friend of his and Yixing being a stupid and all.”

                “But wasn't your idea?”

                “I decided not to tell him that.” You can hear him chuckling.

                Oh

                “Kris…thank you.”

                “Call me Wufan, honey.”

                “Wu-fan.” You enunciate and try the name out on your lips. You hesitate but then decide to go all out. “Call me Kitty.” Wufan chuckles and you hang up.

                You head back into the store and to the fitting room. The trio is sitting near the back of the small room scrolling through their phones while Hana is at the front talking to the tailor. The room had a small pedestal at the front and five mirrors closing off the pedestal for the exception of a small gap. The rest of the room was tables of cloth and thread with a couple of chairs. It was a standard fitting room. Nothing too fancy. You head towards Hana but she sees you and jerks her head towards the trio. You take her cue and awkwardly sit next to Lily. The second you sit down Lily’s head jerks up.

                “Are you going to tell us about Lay or…”

                “Um.” That’s private information, sorry. That doesn’t come out. “What exactly do you want to know?”

                “Everything.” She laughs and the other two look up and watch me.

                That’s private information, sorry. “Well, he’s pretty forgetful. And he blunders a lot.” .

                “Tell us something we don’t know.” Seo Aeri rolls her eyes and laughs. 

                “Well. I don’t know much about him. I was just told to take him to his dorms and that was all.” Better.

                “Seung Yeon, Lily, Seo Aeri.” Hana is looking back at us with her hands on her hips. “Hyunwoo just called, he wants to get some forms filled out from the bakery we ordered our cake. You guys know the information; can you fill the stuff out?”

                “We want to see you in the dress though!” Seo Aeri whines.

                “You already saw it, I would’ve told Kitty to go, but she still hasn’t seen the dress. You three know all the info, hurry, I had Hyunwoo text you three the address.”

                After a chorus of byes and make sure the dress fits perfectly! the trio left.

                Hana looked to me. “Come here and sit down.” You walk towards her and sit on the chair inside the array of mirrors.

                She turns to the tailor and tells her to bring the dress; she steps onto the pedestal. “Okay. Talk.”

               “About what?”

                “Lay. What really happened, I know perfectly well that you are not friends with their manager.”

                “I am though.”

                “What’s his name?”

                “Oh… that’s… a secret, I can’t tell you.” You didn’t even know his name.

                “You can tell me?”

                “SME told me not to…”

                “Oh really, because here.” She took out her phone. “Let’s go on Google… and look up their manager’s name...”

                .

                “Oh, there we go. EXO M’s manager’s name is Im Hyun Kyun. So what secret?”

                “Why do you want to know? I mean… why? Nothing special.”

                “Because you and cute boys was never a discussion between us two; it was always me and the cute boy. So that’s why.”

                The tailor walks in with a rack on wheels and on it held a dress. It was a beautiful dress; just as gorgeous and dreamy as Hana. The dress was a strapless, and had a sweetheart neckline. The bodice was covered in clear jewels and silver gems, some round, some oblong, some cut sharp into diamonds, some rounded, some richer in color, and some dull. The dress had a high waist with a sash to connect the bodice to the rest of the dress. The silky pearl material of the skirt was shot out diagonally to the floor straight and smooth.

                “Oh. Let me get into that, then talk.” She winks at you as she begins to strip her clothing and fit into the dress. Getting into the dress, she curses a few times and grunts multiple times, but in the end she stands tall and ethereal in her dress.

                She looks absolutely stunning.

                She smiles at the mirror, “Perfect” she mumbles. She holds her head high and shoulders back as the tailor does last minute fixes on the dress.

                “Now tell me.”

                “But the tailor?”

                “Don’t bother, she won’t care.”

                “Okay, what do you want to know?”

                “Everything? Or is that too much? Start from the beginning.”

                “Well, I lost my bag at the Indonesia airport and he had it, so… I met him, and he’s just entirely too forgetful, it’s almost annoying, I mean, he brought the bag with him to the lost and found, but forgot to turn it in and left it at check in. And I honestly thought he was drunk when I met him.  I sat with him in the plane and he fell asleep. He has a cute . And he forgot his panda stuffed animal again, so I had to brave fangirls to give it back. And he accidentally called me thinking that I was Jongin and invited me to coffee. And I thought he was actually inviting me and I had nothing to do so I went. And we had hot chocolate instead, because he said that hot chocolate was never meant to be drunk alone. And then we went to a place he would go when he was a trainee, and we ate Pocky sticks and we just talked under the stars and he danced for me. Then Kris called and told us about the pictures of us online, and he made up the story and I told the fan that I knew his manager. Then we sorta ran to the dorms and I spent the night there. Oh and he sang me a song; he actually has a really nice voice. And then here I am.”

                Hana had her eyebrows raised and her arms crossed. You didn’t even realize that she was out of her dress and leaning against the mirrors, listening to your mumblings.

                “Is that all, or was there a secret make out session hidden in there.” You scowl at her. “Come on, he danced and sang for you. That directly translates I want to make out soon.”

                “Hana.” You facepalm and she laughs.

                “Honestly though, what do you think of him? Do you really like him or is this just a passing affection?”

                “I don’t… like him. I’ve known him for 2 days.”

                 “Well your entire situation seems like a screwed up blind date, you can like someone after a blind date.”

                “Yea, but I won’t see him again after I go home.”

                “Love knows no boundaries.” Hana sings out in an annoying voice. I groan while Hana laughs heartily. I hang my head down and Hana stops laughing and kneels on the floor in front of you.

                “If you know this isn’t going to work out, don’t give an effort. Kitty, I don’t want you to fall in love with this guy and be heartbroken in the end.”

                “He probably doesn’t even like me. I mean come on; I’m sure he meets millions of girls like me and probably cluelessly leads them on.”

                “Are you sure? Honestly, if you think that’s the truth, don’t hurt yourself Kitty.” Hana holds out a hand and I take it and get up out of my seat.

                “Wow that felt like a therapy session that I really didn’t need.”

                “You need me, don’t doubt it.” She squeezes my hand and winks; she lets go to go talk to the tailor.

                After a few minutes of last minute fixes of times and schedules, Hana motions me over and tells me that they were done for the day.

                “Do you want to head back to your hotel or I could take you around Seoul?”

                “I think I’m going to go home and sleep. I got none of that yesterday.” Hana picks up her bag and links arms with yours.

                You and Hana walk to your hotel.

----------------------------------------------

            “Yup this is it.” You say as you approach your hotel.

            “Can I come in? I should be at the cake shop with the girls, but I really don’t want to go.” You laugh and begin to pull her towards the hotel. You notice a girl standing by the door, not budging, but don’t give much thought. You didn’t realize that she was watching you until she jumped.

             Attacked would be a better word. She launches herself at you causing you to fall over in your heels and land with a thud, but thankfully your hands stop your fall. Hana isn’t so lucky, however. Still linking arms with you, you pull her down and she falls with a loud thump.

             The girl gets up, pulling your hair and starts yelling at you in heavily accented Korean; her eyes were red and she was practically foaming at . You shake your head not understanding the rant, only picking up a few words: , Yixingnot yours.  Hana watches the girl, eyes wide in horror; she instinctively grabs your hand. The girl stops yelling and you realize that she wants a response. You tug on Hana’s shirt to ask what she said but the girl launches herself at you again. You brace yourself for impact, but she’s harshly pulled back.

             The large man is holding the girl back and a lady rushes forward to help you and Hana get up. You thank the lady and turn back to the man. He’s calling someone on his phone and was holding the girl’s hands with one hand. The girl was shaking and steam was coming out of her ears, but she stopped fighting against the man. Nevertheless, she still looks at you with eyes of pure hatred. The man nods at you and tells you to go to your room saying that’ll he will come up as soon as he got the girl home.

              Shaking, you and Hana enter the hotel and go up to your floor, not saying a single word until you are safely inside your room. Hana walks in first and places her bag on the floor and turns back to you. You slowly turn the knob to lock and put your back against the door and close your eyes. There’s silence, but then you feel a hand on your shoulder.

               “Kitty, let’s clean up. Get changed into something comfy.” You slowly open your eyes and head into the bathroom to wash up without another word. Thankfully you or Hana weren't bruised on the face, considering the wedding tomorrow. But your hands were scratched and bleeding from the rocky sidewalk.

               You change into your pajamas and Hana is sitting on your bed browsing the internet. She looks up and pats the spot next to her on the bed. You walk over and sit down, taking a pillow and hugging it with all your might.

               “Hana, what was she saying?”

               Hana reaches over and tucks a strand of hair behind your ear. “Terrible things. You know what happened just know, don’t you?”

                “Of course. I picked up a few words, but what was she saying?”

                “Do you really want to know? I can tell you, but do you really want to know?” You nod and Hana bites her lip.

                “Well she said, ‘he’s not yours’ constantly.”

                ”That’s what I picked up.”

                Hana sighs, “She called you a .”

                Oh. You nod.

                “She said a few other things, but she emphasized .”

                You sigh and smother your face into the pillow you are gripping onto. Your throat began to hurt and you swallow some salvia hoping to ease your throat; you shudder.

                Hana puts a hand on your shoulder, “Kitty, this is just like high school. People will call you bad things because they have no other way to express their hatred." You remembered all the times people called Hana a for dating an upperclassman and shuddered. Hana broke down in the middle of class that day. She might be a strong girl, but she was still only 15. 

                "You're an adult now. As much as I hate to say it, adults can't go around crying in public and ruining lab experiments." she smiles to herself and brings your hands into hers. "But just because your an adult doesn't mean you need to pretend to not give a . If you want to cry now; then cry. Let it out here, in front of me and no one else.” You don’t cry, but you push aside the pillow and hug Hana. She your hair and hums to you, while you grip onto her, willing yourself not to cry.