Chapter 13

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

comments and upvotes would really be appreciated  this chapter took a lot of hard work~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

               There’s vibrations coming from the hard pillow you are lying on. You groan and sneak your hand under your pillow and turn off your alarm. You swing your free hand to the other side to reach for the water on your side table but hit something else instead. The something else groans and yawns.

               Oh.

                You flip to your other side to see the something else yawning into his hands and pulling up his legs. He turns his head to the side and smiles lazily at you.

               Oh.

               “Was that an alarm?” Yixing asks.

               “Probably?” You answer, flustered by the close proximity of his face to yours. You snatch your phone from under your pillow and check the screen. The battery was almost out but the screen flashed:

 

Missed Call from:

Hana 8:34am

 

                Oh.

                You call Hana back immediately and tell Yixing to be extremely quiet. She picks up on the second ring.

                “Hey, sorry I thought you were an alarm.” You laugh.

                “It’s okay, can you come a bit early to the wedding hall? I need some extra help on preparations, Lily and Aeri backed out last minute.”

“Um… yea sure?”

Hana laughs, “So how’d it go?”

                “The…”

                “Your talk with Lay?”

                “Oh… yeah. Yeah it went great! I mean there wasn’t really much to say.” You yawn, your lack of sleep taking over. Yixing sits up and leans on his hand. He looks fresh and ready to go although he just had woken up a few minutes ago. You rub carefully at your eyes as Hana laughs.

               “When did you go to sleep last night?”

               “Hey.” You pat Yixing’s hand, “When did we go-” You abruptly stop.

               You hear Hana chuckle. “Oh. So while I’m worried sick that my friend is having a terrible time with a relationship, she’s actually having loads of… fun.” She laughs again but you can hear bitterness in her statement.

               “Hana we were just talking last night and we fell asleep. Mr. Lee is still here, he’s sleeping. We’re all just sleeping.” You rush with your words, but are met with a silence. Yixing mouth drops into a little ‘o’ and he raises his eyebrows. He quickly gets to his feet and goes to wake up Mr. Lee.

               Hana’s voice breaks the silence, “Look. This whole relationship thing is cute, but you clearly said you wanted to end it.”

               “And I-”

               “No, you didn’t; you prolonged it. You were supposed to break the ties,” Then, Hana emphasizes each word. “Then. ing. Leave.”

               You switch to English following Hana. Yixing turns and looks at you with a confused expression and you wave him off. “Look Hana, we made it clear, I’m leaving. He’s an idol, it won’t work out. And you know what? He never had feelings for me. Sure he liked me, but to the extent in which I so ing stupidly fell for him? Not at all.”

               “And why is that?”

               “Why is what?”

               “You have no experience in relationships, that’s why I asked you about Lay in the first place: to prevent this from happening.” You jolt up, legs splayed in front of you.

               “Well I’m sorry I didn’t have a gazillion boyfriends in high school, or am getting married right out of college.” You spit out harshly.

               “, Kitty, I’m trying to help you.” She drawls.

               “And criticize my pathetic love life in the meanwhile, thanks.” You retort.

               “Goddammit, just stop being so stubborn. I’m trying to help you.”

               “I don’t need any help! I’m going to go to your wedding, then go home and get ready to leave tomorrow, and that’s ing all. Yixing wasn’t included in those plans, I’m fine.”

               “Good, are you still there? Tell Yixing, Ni Hao forever and go back to your hotel and get ready.”

               “Pretty sure that’s hello in Chinese.” You reply deadpanned.

               “Just say goodbye because this is just getting really ing ridiculous.” Hana spits out. “I don’t care if you two are lovers or best friends. Cut off your ties with him. Get him out of your life. You’re coming to my wedding in a few hours and in another few hours you and your romantic are flying back to LA.” You open your mouth but Hana adds her last jab, “and this time your sweet loving Yixing isn’t going to be on that airplane with you.” Hana’s voice was frenzied by the end.

               You’re silent and so is Hana. You can hear her heavy breaths against the mic. She was saying the truth, and that was what was biting. Mr. Lee was wide awake by now and you can tell that he picked up on some of the conversation. You quickly push yourself up to stand.

               “Hana, I’ll see you at your wedding.” You hang up and turn to Yixing and Mr. Lee. They both stand up and face you. Mr. Lee looks concerned and Yixing looks blissfully clueless. “Okay, I have to go now.” You nod at Yixing. “It was really nice meeting you. We’ll keep in contact okay?” He frowns slightly but you smile and nod again to yourself. You turn and head towards the door but hear scuffling behind you and then a warm hand on your shoulder. 

               “You said last night that I could see you once more before you go. Is that still a deal?” You tense and his hand slowly lightens on your shoulder.  You turn around and see Yixing wavering and biting the inside of his lips.

               “I...I don’t think that’s a good idea, sorry.” You rush out.

               “Why?” Yixing cautions. “Nothing will happen I promise.”

               “I know… it’s just I don’t want to prolong this anymore than necessary you know?” He drops his hand and it limply hangs by his side. “Yixing, you never directly answered my question yesterday. What were you trying to tell me with your story?”

               His eyebrows perk up, “Did you understand it?”

               “I guess? I’m your freedom?” It’s more of a question than a statement. “Yixing you've been straightforward with me all this time, why can't you just tell me what it meant?”

               “Because I wasn't... sure.” Yixing replies tentatively.

               “About what it meant?”

               “No, no, you… you guessed right; but I wasn’t sure where-” Yixing falters. “-where this entire thing was leading so...” He trails off.

               You take in his words: so… you and him shared the same emotions? He liked you back? You carefully formulate your response but then it hits you and you realize what he just said. it. “So you can play around with me until you figure out right?” You whisper urgently, curling your fingers into fists. Yixing’s face goes from worry to upright shock. You would have laughed at his widened eyes at any other time, but in the moment you were just about pissed.  He begins to speak but your phone buzzes and you see that Hana is calling. You end the call and look back at a frowning Yixing. “Look I get it: being around me gave you breathing space and all that jazz but you could’ve just told me?  I wouldn’t have to be wrapped up in all this bull I’m in right now!” Your phone beeps now. Hana had sent you a text message.

 

Hana  8:57am

Hey, are you on your way to the hotel? When youre there call me for the details about prep.

 

               Your jaw sets and you drop your hand back to your side. “Look I have to go and prepare for my friend’s wedding.” Your phone beeps continuously.

 

 Hana  8:58am

Look, im sorry

 

                “Told you what? That you were just a chill mutual friend?” Yixing’s voice drips of mockery.

 

Hana  8:58am

I care about you, I just dont want to see you hurt

 

                “You should’ve been honest with me yesterday!” You immediately want to take back your words. You haven’t been entirely honest either.

 

Hana  8:59am

Kitty, I honestly really really love you, please dont hate me its my wedding day. I want this day to be the happiest day of my life. it cant be the happiest if you hate me ;~;

 

                Yixing’s fists curl and uncurl. “Like you’ve been honest with me about everything, right?” Ouch, bingo. “Do you want me to be completely straightforward?” Yixing looks you straight in the eye and speaks. “You’re overreacting.”

 

Hana  9:00am

Okay look I know now im just being annoying but its 9 and you should be here by 1030 so please go. I know you really like Yixing so tell Yixing that you really like him and youll miss him but please go.

 

                You laugh bitterly as you put your phone in your back pocket. He’s right for the umpteenth time this day, but you will not swallow your pride and apologize. “You know? I probably am, but I’m going now.”

               “Look can we please meet- to patch this up. I don't want you to leave with this not resolved.” His voice is once again calm and his face shows no emotion whatsoever. You think back to the time where you thought he was drunk. At that moment he certainly was clueless, but right now- he’s almost scary.

                “I’m sorry I just don’t want to keep dragging this along.” You bring out your phone to check the time avoiding his gaze. “I really have to go now, I'm helping with preparations.” You look back up and curtly nod at him; you notice a flicker in his eyes. His eyes glaze over. You turn and head towards the door but you hear Mr. Lee for the first time this morning.

               “We have to go together.” He strides forward and links arms with you. “In case there’s anyone outside, you’re my girlfriend and Yixing’s third wheeling.” You stare at Mr. Lee and unlink arms because that is just highly inappropriate at this time. But then you realize Mr. Lee is a sweet guy and has never done you harm so you link arms with him and stubbornly pull him to the door. Mr. Lee opens the door and you step outside. Mr. Lee is facing outwards looking for any fans but you taking a peek at Yixing.

               He’s still inside: looking at the ground and then slowly turning to look around. It looks like he’s saying goodbye and you realize he probably is saying goodbye. He walks backwards towards the door, taking last glances at the room. Just as he exits, he looks up at the celling and for a brief second you see a dimple on his cheek. But the fleeting moment passes and he sighs and steps outside to lock up the room.

               He walks on the other side of Mr. Lee and gladly, Mr. Lee engages you in small talk. You reach the end of the alley and into the main street where you begin to see coffee shops open and running and pedestrians walking about. Mr. Lee hails a taxi and you and Yixing stand silently on the sidewalk next to each other, the distance much further than previously. You glance up at Yixing’s face and see that he’s watching a little girl run across the crosswalk. His face is for the most part blank, but with a tinge of somberness. You see Lay: Chinese pop-star, main dancer of EXO M, focused and serious, no playfulness skipping around in his eyes. No longer do you see your Chips or Yixing: the stupid, , clueless, joking ditz. Just Lay. Everybody’s Lay.

               The taxi comes and Mr. Lee begins to usher you inside but sees that… Lay looks like he is going to say something. Mr. Lee quickly gets in and tells Lay to hurry.

               You get into the car and meet eyes with Lay. He’s leaning against the side of the car door. He still looks serious; you don’t like that look on him. “I’ll call you; I think we both have a lot of explaining to do.”

               You mumble out a Of course and cross your arms.

               His lips part and he exhales softly, the ends of his eyebrows slightly lean down. “Just make sure you pick up.”

               And with that, Lay stands up and closes the car door. He turns from the car and walks away.

----------------------------------------------

               You reach your hotel room and throw your wallet onto the table; Mr. Lee’s business card flutters out onto the floor. You slump yourself into the sofa chair and sigh. You wouldn’t need it anyways. You reach over and pull your laptop onto your lap and flip it up. The screen appears on your email and you refresh and open up the one unread message in your inbox.

 

[email protected] to you;

Passenger of Flight ASA210,

We are unfortunate to announce that our flight ASA210 at 9:30pm will be canceled due to technical difficulties with the aircraft. For passengers unable to receive this information: there will be an alternate Korean Air flight (KA562) at 10:30pm with an LAX destination. For passengers wishing to fly with Asiana Air: there is a flight (ASA238) at 10:15am same day. Simply check in with ASA210 tickets, and the agents will give you the right boarding pass. If you would your transfer to flight ASA238 to be faster and more efficient, please call 1-800-227-4262 and we will send you your ASA238 tickets.

For check in and boarding times click here-

Thank you for flying with Asiana Air, a member of Star Alliance

 

               You let that sink in. This was… unexpected.  You close the laptop and start to get ready for a shower, Why hassle with changing flights?

               But… Hana’s words ring through your mind. Your words ring through your mind. What’s the point of staying any longer? But then you remember Yixing’s expression -how he was shocked and angry- you don’t want that. As much as you want a firm grip on the situation, you want to hear what he had to say. And as much as you don’t want to admit, seeing him once more would feel great.

               You head over to the bathroom to mull things over a nice hot shower, but then turn around swiftly and pick up your phone. If you thought things over any more you would combust, you call the number.

               You call and the phone rings.

                Please don’t pick up.

                Another ring.

               Of course they’ll pick up.

               Another ring.

               Your finger hovers over the end button. Please don’t pick-

               “Hello, Asiana Air. How may I help you?”